Yellowbrick tracker

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Richard,
That 's great. We will be in touch.
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Richard,
I recently bought a YB3 from you - could I apply for a post-dated OCC members discount, please? In extra months and credits will be fine, because although I 've only had it a short time, and have only used it on a 3 day passage, it seems to be giving me the minimal mid-ocean connectivity I need, with the tracker map as useful entertainment for armchair sailors!

http://my.yb.tl/tystie34/

Queries and comments:
The data sheet says I get 50 characters of messaging for one credit, but the iPad app says I get 25 characters, which is not good news, if true, doubling the expense. Which is correct?
The battery life is vastly shorter than advertised. In three days, I used half the battery capacity (position report every 6 hours, one outgoing message, 2 incoming messages, the unit in the open with a clear view of the sky). I should have got the permanent power supply and permanent mount.
The strap on mount does not permit charging in situ. There should be a hole at the back to reveal the USB socket.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
David,
Good to see you are broadcasting position. Do let me know if you want any weather information relaying when you are on passage.
Simon
yellowbrick
yellowbrick
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi David,

Absolutely - drop us an email next time you intend to top up, and we 'll apply something equivalent to the members offer.

Thanks for your comments - I 'd be pleased to answer them.

Credits - You get 50 characters per credit. However, the first 25 characters of your message are taken up by your list of recipients. So, a 26 character message will cost 2 credits, as will a 75 character message. 76 characters will cost 3 credits. For the benefit of those not familiar with our service, credits cost between 5 and 12 pence, depending on the quantity purchased.

Battery Life - Our recent testing has shown battery life to actually exceed that advertised. In your case, I believe you have the Bluetooth option switched on permanently. Bluetooth is power-hungry I 'm afraid, and you will get through the battery much faster. We are looking at newer Bluetooth technologies to try to improve battery life, but the reality is that for this 'generation ' of tracking/messaging devices (including those of our competitors), leaving Bluetooth switched on will get through the battery much more quickly.

Mounting - The soft pouch which you have is really intended for people who need to move the tracker frequently - maybe between different vessels. The quick-release mount sounds like it would suit you better, and does allow you to leave the permanent power supply connected.

I hope that helps!

Richard
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
[quote="simoncurrin" post=690]David,
Good to see you are broadcasting position. Do let me know if you want any weather information relaying when you are on passage.
Simon[/quote]

Simon,
I set off from Rangiroa towards Hawai 'i tomorrow. It should be very easy, but let 's give it a trial run. About the only thing that I might want to know is when I will enter and leave the ITCZ, otherwise it should be Trades all the way. I 've added your email address to my list of contacts, which makes it possible for you to send emails to tystie34-app@my.yb.tl but please be telegrammatic, and write SMS style. U got 2 cut chars 2 minm, 50chars=10p. I can send brief blog entries and say when I do actually meet the ITCZ.

In an ideal world, all the active cruising members would have trackers, and the website would have just one world map with a tangle of tracks showing, as we all go about our passagemaking. I suspect that that can 't be done, if we have different makes of tracker. However, we could each give you the html code for our own maps to be embedded somewhere on the website - in cruising information, perhaps?
Attachments
YBembeddingcode.rtf (340 views, 604 bytes)
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,

I have your route plugged into Predict Wind. Assume destination is Honalulu? I will try to send you a daily text of about 25 characters and assume you average about 6 knots. The text will give you predicted wind speed and direction at your predicted position approximately 24 and 48 hours ahead. Can do 72 or 96 hours if your budget will stretch that far. Let me know what you want.

Thus assuming you depart on 1st November then your first forecast will read as follows:
02/11 23:11 10.6kn 77degT
03/11 13:26 11.9kn 106degT

David is that the kind of information you want? Let me know if you want anything else or if you would prefer less frequent or more frequent texts.

Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
Simon,
I 'll try for Hilo. I like it there. 6 knots is a bit optimistic! I 'll be on the wind until 10S, doing 4 to 5 knots in 10 knots of wind.
Your example counted 51 characters, including spaces. Keep under 50, and we 'll be fine. All I really need is changes of wind direction over 10 degrees, but the thundery disturbances that come through, upsetting everything, may not register on a prediction program. Doesn 't matter, all I need to see is the big changes, that would necessitate a change of strategy. If the weather seems to be in steady state, the only reason for sending a message is for the purpose of comparing it against what I actually get. Anyway, let 's try a 48hr outlook for a start.
David.
David Tyler
David Tyler
Simon,
I 'll try for Hilo. I like it there. 6 knots is a bit optimistic! I 'll be on the wind until 10S, doing 4 to 5 knots in 10 knots of wind. I need to get a lot of easting in the bank.
Your example counted 51 characters, including spaces. Keep under 50, and we 'll be fine. All I really need is changes of wind direction over 10 degrees, but the thundery disturbances that come through, upsetting everything, may not register on a prediction program. Doesn 't matter, all I need to see is the big changes, that would necessitate a change of strategy. If the weather seems to be in steady state, the only reason for sending a message is for the purpose of comparing it against what I actually get. Anyway, let 's try a 48hr outlook for a start.
David.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
Fine I will stay below 50 characters and will keep an eye on the 4 and 5 day forecast and will let you know of major changes ahead. Have a good trip.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Hi all,
I thought it would be useful to post this analysis of issues with the SPOT and similar devices.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/-10824-1.html?s=FB11162012

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search