Florida anchoring restrictions

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick - 1/10/2020
Daria Blackwell - 1/10/2020
The anchoring debate continues in Florida with several new jurisdictions seeking to impose restrictions on overnight anchoring in their waters. Two meetings are coming up January 15. There is further information posted by America's Great Loop Cruisers Assn. 

https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=574480&module_id=326876

Hi Daria,
The cruising restrictions you mention are real and will be onerous, especially if administered by bureaucrats/police etc. with no idea of what cruising is like and who love to say "no". I am glad I no longer sail those waters and did so in less restrictive times.
I know many attribute the new laws to “wealthy” home owners on shore who do not want their view restricted (among other reasons) and, I suspect, that is in part true. I also know that, when I sailed those waters, I saw many, perhaps most, cruisers who operated “leaving a clean wake”. I also saw many who were impressively indulgent: anchoring for long periods of time obviously dumping overboard, taking their dinghy to marginal “public” shorelines, using marina facilities while anchored out without paying, etc. etc. These were the cruisers. Even worse were those just jumping on a boat for cheap accommodation while working ashore or just hanging out. These were not cruisers: some of their vessels were clearly not functional, but certainly contributed to those of us living on our boats having a bad name, especially those of us who shy away from marinas.
I wish there were an answer. I would urge us all to call our fellow boaters on disrespectful practices. For example, I was pulling into Treguier (I think) and picking up a mooring late when another cruiser informed me that if we left by 0900 hrs in the morning we would miss the collection boat and would not have to pay. When I commented that that would be stealing, he was a bit taken aback: it was certainly a conversation stopper unfortunately. But I hope the message stuck. However, it is just that kind of occasional indulgent “cruiser” mentality that I believe needs confronting and, might, forestall restrictions in the future.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Dick,
You are so right. That's why in the US, a very big divide surfaced between 'liveaboards' and 'cruisers'. Liveaboards rarely move their boats and many even can't. Unfortunately, they put a crimp on the welcome for everyone. 
Cheers,
Daria

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Daria Blackwell - 1/10/2020
The anchoring debate continues in Florida with several new jurisdictions seeking to impose restrictions on overnight anchoring in their waters. Two meetings are coming up January 15. There is further information posted by America's Great Loop Cruisers Assn. 

https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=574480&module_id=326876

Hi Daria,
The cruising restrictions you mention are real and will be onerous, especially if administered by bureaucrats/police etc. with no idea of what cruising is like and who love to say "no". I am glad I no longer sail those waters and did so in less restrictive times.
I know many attribute the new laws to “wealthy” home owners on shore who do not want their view restricted (among other reasons) and, I suspect, that is in part true. I also know that, when I sailed those waters, I saw many, perhaps most, cruisers who operated “leaving a clean wake”. I also saw many who were impressively indulgent: anchoring for long periods of time obviously dumping overboard, taking their dinghy to marginal “public” shorelines, using marina facilities while anchored out without paying, etc. etc. These were the cruisers. Even worse were those just jumping on a boat for cheap accommodation while working ashore or just hanging out. These were not cruisers: some of their vessels were clearly not functional, but certainly contributed to those of us living on our boats having a bad name, especially those of us who shy away from marinas.
I wish there were an answer. I would urge us all to call our fellow boaters on disrespectful practices. For example, I was pulling into Treguier (I think) and picking up a mooring late when another cruiser informed me that if we left by 0900 hrs in the morning we would miss the collection boat and would not have to pay. When I commented that that would be stealing, he was a bit taken aback: it was certainly a conversation stopper unfortunately. But I hope the message stuck. However, it is just that kind of occasional indulgent “cruiser” mentality that I believe needs confronting and, might, forestall restrictions in the future.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search