Clearance into Canada when arriving by private yacht

Author
Jon.Barkway
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
All,

We are currently anchored in Nonsuch Bay, Antigua and are attempting to find somewhere safe to sail to for the impending hurricane season.  We've attempted to get into the USA but don't have a US visa and they are not issuing visas due to the virus shutdown.  Does anybody know if we would be permitted entry into Canada on our private yacht.  We are both UK citizens and passport holders. I've used this Canadian site to find that if you arrive by car, plane or boat you can come in 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#a3

But they do not specify if that is OK by private yacht, as we can also enter the USA by the same means, but not by private yacht.

Best regards,

Jon and Angie Barkway
SV Ultima

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Jon.Barkway - 4/18/2020
All,

We are currently anchored in Nonsuch Bay, Antigua and are attempting to find somewhere safe to sail to for the impending hurricane season.  We've attempted to get into the USA but don't have a US visa and they are not issuing visas due to the virus shutdown.  Does anybody know if we would be permitted entry into Canada on our private yacht.  We are both UK citizens and passport holders. I've used this Canadian site to find that if you arrive by car, plane or boat you can come in 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#a3

But they do not specify if that is OK by private yacht, as we can also enter the USA by the same means, but not by private yacht.

Best regards,

Jon and Angie Barkway
SV Ultima

Hi Jon & Angie,
The border between the US and Canada is closed (and just received a 30-day extension, I believe).
Your best bet for information is to contact the Canadian Border Services Agency nearest to where you might make landfall (and they are who would do the check in upon arrival). Halifax is likely and their phone number is 902-426-2072. They have (or used to have) an officer who deals with recreation boats, but I forget her full name. The CBSA are very helpful and very accommodating to calls and I would rely on their information over the internet. Let us know what you find out.
Good luck, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Hi
We have left our boat in Canoe Cove Marina Sidney, Vancouver Island.
They are open and also have a Customs Dock.
Don, the manager is very helpful and worth a call +1(250)656-5566.
We have left Nimue their for the last four winters and have been very happy.
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Sorry did not register you are the other side of Canada. 🤔
Jon.Barkway
Jon.Barkway
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 4/19/2020
Hi
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue

Thank you so much Michael.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jon.Barkway - 4/19/2020
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 4/19/2020
Hi
Regards
Michael Hartshorn
s/v Nimue

Thank you so much Michael.

You might contact one of our POs in Canada - John van Schalkwyk in Halifax, Nova Scotia will likely know the answer. We have several other POs/PORs up that way. 

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search