Lookong for crew

Author
Tim Hammick
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have attempted to go through the Panama 3 times, and every time I have been thwarted by a lack of committed crew! I am considering trying for a fourth attempt.
My last boat is in Tahatti, but unfortunately not with me.
I am thinking about buying a new (secondhand) boat of around 45 to 50 feet to have a final attempt.
The purpose of this message is to find out if there is any enthusiasm from the membership, to join me for some or all of such a venture.

A brief word about me:
I am a fit 74 year old, single.
I went through Dartmouth Naval College, so have a huge theoretical understanding of seamanship and navigation.
I have spent the last 10 years afloat in my Amel 48 Ketch and have completed 4 Transats as skipper, one with a crew of 1 novice directly from Falmouth Antigua to Falmouth UK.
I do not know everything, but I am reasonably experienced.

I would hope to leave Canaries in the Autumn 2021.

Beth.Browne
Beth.Browne
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Tim Hammick - 6/14/2020
I have attempted to go through the Panama 3 times, and every time I have been thwarted by a lack of committed crew! I am considering trying for a fourth attempt.
I am thinking about buying a new (secondhand) boat of around 45 to 50 feet to have a final attempt.
The purpose of this message is to find out if there is any enthusiasm from the membership, to join me for some or all of such a venture.

A brief word about me:
I went through Dartmouth Naval College, so have a huge theoretical understanding of seamanship and navigation.
I have spent the last 10 years afloat in my Amel 48 Ketch and have completed 4 Transats as skipper, one with a crew of 1 novice directly from Falmouth Antigua to Falmouth UK.

Hi Tim!

Well, 2021 is a long way off, but I am interested in transiting the Panama Canal. In 1985/6, I worked on a small cruise ship transiting the canal every week for months. As I cleaned rooms and swabbed heads, I would often gaze over the side where a small sailboat was tied and dream of being down there on a similar small sailboat. I have since owned three sailboats and sailed the west coast of the US, and from NC south to the Bahamas, but never made it to the canal. To make the trip through the canal would fulfill a longtime dream.

Keep in touch! I hope you make it this time!
Beth
Rick.Blackburn
Rick.Blackburn
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Tim Hammick - 6/14/2020

A brief word about me:

Stephen Foot
Stephen Foot
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Tim Hammick - 6/14/2020

A brief word about me:

Hi Tim.  You mat remember we met in Grenada in 2012 - we were on Water Music.  We went through the Panama Canal in April 2019 and it was one of the most amazing things I have done.  At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, the distances west get much bigger.  definitely worth doing.  Best wishes  Stephen
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search