Passage planning 2020 new item checklist


Author
Message
Christian.Alby
Christian.Alby
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2, Visits: 1
Preparing departure from Cape Town, mid July 2020 still in lockdown level 3, with South African crew we added items to our passage preparation. In addition to the safe passage preparation, checking best route in accordance with destination, weather, ports en route, supplies, visas ... We now added Covid.19 allowance.
Coming out of lockdown in RSA means matching conditions given by emergency law on freedom of movement, eg. Authorisation by Home Affairs to leave country for RSA nationals. Ports en route depend on who is open, & who will open, which conditions ... Namibia, Angola, Saint Helena, Sao Tome, Brasil are all possible ports, unfortunately closed down to Sailing Vessels (recreation ? When we live aboard) unless calling in for emergencies or basic supplies, this meant various exchanges & research by all means of communications, leading to friends welcoming us (a smile & good humour will sort it out), authorities rejecting us (port closed, no entry) & our embassies recommending to stay home, on solid ground. Then comes the time to prepare for living on board thru quarantine, or not when justifying no illness, no signs ... Extra food, drinks, safe anchorage, thermometer & daily records of body temperature to be added on log book, next to wind force/direction & sea state ... Going thru the motions now to cross from Cape Town to Caribbean, with stopover in french Guyana or Surinam to wait out hurricane season. Opening borders in Namibia (closed), Angola (closed), Sao Tome (closed). Saint Helena (opening ?), Brasil (closed ?) is still doubtful or subject to local interpretation depending on who/where/when we ask.
Will make for an interesting trip, casting off from Cape Town Jul-20, will decide on direct route or African coast discovery depending on latest developments & answers by authorities & ports.
Meanwhile, thermometer & daily records are newcomers on my checklist 'to do'.
Fair winds & following seas to you all who share our love for roaming the seas.
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Posts: 121, Visits: 264
Christian.Alby - 7/13/2020
Preparing departure from Cape Town, mid July 2020 still in lockdown level 3, with South African crew we added items to our passage preparation. In addition to the safe passage preparation, checking best route in accordance with destination, weather, ports en route, supplies, visas ... We now added Covid.19 allowance.
Coming out of lockdown in RSA means matching conditions given by emergency law on freedom of movement, eg. Authorisation by Home Affairs to leave country for RSA nationals. Ports en route depend on who is open, & who will open, which conditions ... Namibia, Angola, Saint Helena, Sao Tome, Brasil are all possible ports, unfortunately closed down to Sailing Vessels (recreation ? When we live aboard) unless calling in for emergencies or basic supplies, this meant various exchanges & research by all means of communications, leading to friends welcoming us (a smile & good humour will sort it out), authorities rejecting us (port closed, no entry) & our embassies recommending to stay home, on solid ground. Then comes the time to prepare for living on board thru quarantine, or not when justifying no illness, no signs ... Extra food, drinks, safe anchorage, thermometer & daily records of body temperature to be added on log book, next to wind force/direction & sea state ... Going thru the motions now to cross from Cape Town to Caribbean, with stopover in french Guyana or Surinam to wait out hurricane season. Opening borders in Namibia (closed), Angola (closed), Sao Tome (closed). Saint Helena (opening ?), Brasil (closed ?) is still doubtful or subject to local interpretation depending on who/where/when we ask.
Will make for an interesting trip, casting off from Cape Town Jul-20, will decide on direct route or African coast discovery depending on latest developments & answers by authorities & ports.
Meanwhile, thermometer & daily records are newcomers on my checklist 'to do'.
Fair winds & following seas to you all who share our love for roaming the seas.

Christian
If you need any help in arranging your departure from Cape Town or any forward information you could contact the OCC Port Officer Cape Town Robert Ravensburg on 082 555 0876 or Peter Sherlock Rear Commodore Cruising at the Royal Cape YC. Peter's number is 082 457 1423. Both are heavily involved in working with the authorities regarding boat movements during Covid-19 restrictions. My wife and I are up in the Highveld but very much in touch with current regulations. Our numbers are:
John Franklin 076 489 2031
Jenny Crickmore-Thompson  072 106 3936
Bon Voyage!

Christian.Alby
Christian.Alby
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Posts: 2, Visits: 1
John Franklin - 7/16/2020
Christian.Alby - 7/13/2020
Preparing departure from Cape Town, mid July 2020 still in lockdown level 3, with South African crew we added items to our passage preparation. In addition to the safe passage preparation, checking best route in accordance with destination, weather, ports en route, supplies, visas ... We now added Covid.19 allowance.
Coming out of lockdown in RSA means matching conditions given by emergency law on freedom of movement, eg. Authorisation by Home Affairs to leave country for RSA nationals. Ports en route depend on who is open, & who will open, which conditions ... Namibia, Angola, Saint Helena, Sao Tome, Brasil are all possible ports, unfortunately closed down to Sailing Vessels (recreation ? When we live aboard) unless calling in for emergencies or basic supplies, this meant various exchanges & research by all means of communications, leading to friends welcoming us (a smile & good humour will sort it out), authorities rejecting us (port closed, no entry) & our embassies recommending to stay home, on solid ground. Then comes the time to prepare for living on board thru quarantine, or not when justifying no illness, no signs ... Extra food, drinks, safe anchorage, thermometer & daily records of body temperature to be added on log book, next to wind force/direction & sea state ... Going thru the motions now to cross from Cape Town to Caribbean, with stopover in french Guyana or Surinam to wait out hurricane season. Opening borders in Namibia (closed), Angola (closed), Sao Tome (closed). Saint Helena (opening ?), Brasil (closed ?) is still doubtful or subject to local interpretation depending on who/where/when we ask.
Will make for an interesting trip, casting off from Cape Town Jul-20, will decide on direct route or African coast discovery depending on latest developments & answers by authorities & ports.
Meanwhile, thermometer & daily records are newcomers on my checklist 'to do'.
Fair winds & following seas to you all who share our love for roaming the seas.

Christian
If you need any help in arranging your departure from Cape Town or any forward information you could contact the OCC Port Officer Cape Town Robert Ravensburg on 082 555 0876 or Peter Sherlock Rear Commodore Cruising at the Royal Cape YC. Peter's number is 082 457 1423. Both are heavily involved in working with the authorities regarding boat movements during Covid-19 restrictions. My wife and I are up in the Highveld but very much in touch with current regulations. Our numbers are:
John Franklin 076 489 2031
Jenny Crickmore-Thompson  072 106 3936
Bon Voyage!

Good morning John, we are going thru the motions of clearance today, seems to work out nicely until now, thanks to goodwill by all involved, marina staff & immigration. We might be delayed a further few days, waiting for a part from a machine workshop for our prop shaft alternator.
Meanwhile getting news from ports en route
Sao Tome - ship agent mandatory / give up,
Lobito, strong possibility as emergency (diesel)
Saint Helena, Ascension, open
Brasil, closed, but access granted for emergencies,
Guyana, french flag can enter, quarantine applies, recommended to call into Saint Laurent du Maroni (surinam border).
All set, will let you know how we fare.
Cheers



John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Posts: 121, Visits: 264
Christian.Alby - 7/17/2020
John Franklin - 7/16/2020
Christian.Alby - 7/13/2020
Preparing departure from Cape Town, mid July 2020 still in lockdown level 3, with South African crew we added items to our passage preparation. In addition to the safe passage preparation, checking best route in accordance with destination, weather, ports en route, supplies, visas ... We now added Covid.19 allowance.
Coming out of lockdown in RSA means matching conditions given by emergency law on freedom of movement, eg. Authorisation by Home Affairs to leave country for RSA nationals. Ports en route depend on who is open, & who will open, which conditions ... Namibia, Angola, Saint Helena, Sao Tome, Brasil are all possible ports, unfortunately closed down to Sailing Vessels (recreation ? When we live aboard) unless calling in for emergencies or basic supplies, this meant various exchanges & research by all means of communications, leading to friends welcoming us (a smile & good humour will sort it out), authorities rejecting us (port closed, no entry) & our embassies recommending to stay home, on solid ground. Then comes the time to prepare for living on board thru quarantine, or not when justifying no illness, no signs ... Extra food, drinks, safe anchorage, thermometer & daily records of body temperature to be added on log book, next to wind force/direction & sea state ... Going thru the motions now to cross from Cape Town to Caribbean, with stopover in french Guyana or Surinam to wait out hurricane season. Opening borders in Namibia (closed), Angola (closed), Sao Tome (closed). Saint Helena (opening ?), Brasil (closed ?) is still doubtful or subject to local interpretation depending on who/where/when we ask.
Will make for an interesting trip, casting off from Cape Town Jul-20, will decide on direct route or African coast discovery depending on latest developments & answers by authorities & ports.
Meanwhile, thermometer & daily records are newcomers on my checklist 'to do'.
Fair winds & following seas to you all who share our love for roaming the seas.

Christian
If you need any help in arranging your departure from Cape Town or any forward information you could contact the OCC Port Officer Cape Town Robert Ravensburg on 082 555 0876 or Peter Sherlock Rear Commodore Cruising at the Royal Cape YC. Peter's number is 082 457 1423. Both are heavily involved in working with the authorities regarding boat movements during Covid-19 restrictions. My wife and I are up in the Highveld but very much in touch with current regulations. Our numbers are:
John Franklin 076 489 2031
Jenny Crickmore-Thompson  072 106 3936
Bon Voyage!

Good morning John, we are going thru the motions of clearance today, seems to work out nicely until now, thanks to goodwill by all involved, marina staff & immigration. We might be delayed a further few days, waiting for a part from a machine workshop for our prop shaft alternator.
Meanwhile getting news from ports en route
Sao Tome - ship agent mandatory / give up,
Lobito, strong possibility as emergency (diesel)
Saint Helena, Ascension, open
Brasil, closed, but access granted for emergencies,
Guyana, french flag can enter, quarantine applies, recommended to call into Saint Laurent du Maroni (surinam border).
All set, will let you know how we fare.
Cheers




Desirade was reported to have departed Cape Town on 20 July, as planned. However, not showing on OCC Fleet Map. Last position reported by Matrine Traffic on 15 May in Cape Town.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...



Merge into merge target...



Merge into a specific topic ID...




Login

Search