SSB - Email

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As a HAM operator, I use Winlink for sending and receiving emails while at sea... Well, it's no longer possible for us to send emails to US email addresses as a result of changes to the US (FCC?) laws... I sent a test email to myself last week and got it bounced back with a message telling me to refrain from such activities!

"Message with ID 'T85SIH2E8APP' and subject '//WL2K Test' was rejected because delivery by or to a US station on amateur radio frequencies would violate US Part 97 Third-Party Traffic rules. "

What a PITA!
I guess now if I want to keep family and friends in the know, I'll have to subscribe to some other commercial service??
Bummer! 

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Bill Balme - 8/19/2020
As a HAM operator, I use Winlink for sending and receiving emails while at sea... Well, it's no longer possible for us to send emails to US email addresses as a result of changes to the US (FCC?) laws... I sent a test email to myself last week and got it bounced back with a message telling me to refrain from such activities!

"Message with ID 'T85SIH2E8APP' and subject '//WL2K Test' was rejected because delivery by or to a US station on amateur radio frequencies would violate US Part 97 Third-Party Traffic rules. "

What a PITA!
I guess now if I want to keep family and friends in the know, I'll have to subscribe to some other commercial service??
Bummer! 

Yes Bill,
Quite unfortunate and I am glad I no longer have the need for Winlink comm that was so essential to our cruising for so many years. So much that is a global concern falls prey to local and parochial interests and the inability for countries to work together: it is a shame.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy, KC2HKW
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
see  earlier Forum thread on Winlink connection problems:
https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic5926.aspx

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search