Southerh hemisphere compass?

Author
Barbara.Euser
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am planning a circumnavigation, westbound, starting from Panama. My boat, Islander, has a magnetic compass in the binnacle. To date, I have cruised only in the northern hemisphere. I understand that when cruising in the southern hemisphere, one needs a southern hemisphere compass. How do cruisers handle this? Do you use a handheld southern hemisphere compass? Other suggestions, solutions? Thanks for your ideas.
Richard Hudson
Richard Hudson
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Barbara.Euser - 7 Feb 2021
I am planning a circumnavigation, westbound, starting from Panama. My boat, Islander, has a magnetic compass in the binnacle. To date, I have cruised only in the northern hemisphere. I understand that when cruising in the southern hemisphere, one needs a southern hemisphere compass. How do cruisers handle this? Do you use a handheld southern hemisphere compass? Other suggestions, solutions? Thanks for your ideas.

I simply used the Plastimo compass that came with my boat when I went to the southern hemisphere.  I think most cruisers from the northern hemisphere just use the same compass in the southern hemisphere.  The compass may have been slower to react in the southern hemisphere, but I don't remember that being very noticeable--it seemed to work about the same in both hemispheres.  

If you can find a manual for your particular compass it would be worth seeing what it says about using it in the southern hemisphere. 

Richard
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Barbara.Euser - 7 Feb 2021

I think the issue with southern hemisphere compasses is about the angle of inclination. But this is only an issue with a flat, hand-held compass (such as the Silva type) when the needle grounds on the casing. I don't think it's an issue in a marine, binnacle type compass where the card moves in all planes. 
I think that's right but I'm no expert and am happy to be corrected.

Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search