Canada COVID regulations Feb 2021

Author
Max Shaw
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 1 Mar 2021
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 15 Feb 2021
Thanks Max, hope to have a beer 🍺 with you in the Stonehouse pub, later this year.Anne & Michael

Hi
We asked the manager of the marina (Sidney, Vancouver island) his thoughts on Canada's situation.

Thanks for the note! Yes, it is wild to think it has been an entire year since the wheels came off of the world! I was thinking of you the other day as I toured the boatyard and passed by Nimue. I have no real insights regarding the boarder but my gut feel is that it will be at least September before it gets opened and then, likely only to people like you who have been vaccinated and can prove it. Transport Canada announced two weeks ago that there will be no International or Domestic Cruise Ships plying Canadian waters until February 2022. That is very different that recreational boating but it does give some insight into how the Canadian government is thinking. I don’t know if the US Border is any more open but there is a way that you could get the boat moved to a US port like Anacortes , by using a commercial skipper, if flights into the US were any easier from the UK. We have had some boats move back and forth this way once all the paperwork is done. It would cost more than you doing it yourself but it may speed things up for you if it is an option. I will see if I can find out anything further and if I do, I will get back to you. Glad to hear you are well and have got the shots. We are still waiting and I don’t see my age group being vaccinated until June or July at the earliest. We have done well at the marina and have kept working right through with no reported illness or outbreaks. All the best.

Regards
Anne & Michael.

As I think I mentioned I am working now as a yacht broker here in Sidney and we are indeed using commercial skippers to deliver boats across the moat to and from the US. as long as it is part of a commerical transaction.  There are some grey areas but I am happy to put OCC members in contact with the skipper we use for the brokerage boats.

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
An update on Nova Scotia COVID rules. The regulations have been tightened further and yesterday the CBSA wrote offering to extend Shimshal’s cruising permit to June 2022. We have readily accepted but are very sad that there is now almost no chance of us getting back to our boat in 2021.

Here is a link for further details https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/restrictions-tighten-further-as-number-of-cases-exceeds-capacity-of-public-health-3759441?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email

Simon
Max Shaw - 1 Mar 2021
Thanks Max, hope to have a beer 🍺 with you in the Stonehouse pub, later this year.Anne & Michael

Hi
We asked the manager of the marina (Sidney, Vancouver island) his thoughts on Canada's situation.

Thanks for the note! Yes, it is wild to think it has been an entire year since the wheels came off of the world! I was thinking of you the other day as I toured the boatyard and passed by Nimue. I have no real insights regarding the boarder but my gut feel is that it will be at least September before it gets opened and then, likely only to people like you who have been vaccinated and can prove it. Transport Canada announced two weeks ago that there will be no International or Domestic Cruise Ships plying Canadian waters until February 2022. That is very different that recreational boating but it does give some insight into how the Canadian government is thinking. I don’t know if the US Border is any more open but there is a way that you could get the boat moved to a US port like Anacortes , by using a commercial skipper, if flights into the US were any easier from the UK. We have had some boats move back and forth this way once all the paperwork is done. It would cost more than you doing it yourself but it may speed things up for you if it is an option. I will see if I can find out anything further and if I do, I will get back to you. Glad to hear you are well and have got the shots. We are still waiting and I don’t see my age group being vaccinated until June or July at the earliest. We have done well at the marina and have kept working right through with no reported illness or outbreaks. All the best.

Regards
Anne & Michael.

As I think I mentioned I am working now as a yacht broker here in Sidney and we are indeed using commercial skippers to deliver boats across the moat to and from the US. as long as it is part of a commerical transaction.  There are some grey areas but I am happy to put OCC members in contact with the skipper we use for the brokerage boats.

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 8 May 2021
An update on Nova Scotia COVID rules. The regulations have been tightened further and yesterday the CBSA wrote offering to extend Shimshal’s cruising permit to June 2022. We have readily accepted but are very sad that there is now almost no chance of us getting back to our boat in 2021.
Simon
Max Shaw - 1 Mar 2021

Hi

Regards
Anne & Michael.

Hi all,
For those interested and as Simon already is aware, We decided that one season's loss was enough and had the option of throwing money at the problem. We did so by trucking Alchemy to Michigan, USA, and we will be sailing the Great Lakes for a couple seasons. This was our plan anyway, but we had thought we would be going up the St. Lawrence River and through the canals and locks rather than at 70 mph along a highway. We have just received her and will see what sitting around uncovered and un-tended for 1 1/2 years in Newfoundland and then being taken apart by strangers to the boat and then trucked  has done.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search