Canada COVID regulations Feb 2021

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators

The Government of Canada announced today further testing and quarantine requirements for international travelers arriving to Canada’s air and land ports of entry.

These new measures are in addition to existing mandatory pre-boarding and health requirements for air travelers. This means that travelers will still be denied boarding if they do not meet the pre-boarding molecular test (PCR) requirements. Find below some high-level information on these new measures.

For travelers arriving to Canada by land:

As of February 15, 2021, all travelers, with some exceptions, arriving to Canada by land, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, OR a proof of a positive test result within 14 and 90 days prior to arrival.

This is consistent with the requirements already in place for air travelers. Essential workers such as truckers and emergency service providers, as well as those who live in cross border communities, will be exempt from this requirement. Further information on exemptions will be available in the coming days.

In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travelers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine.

For more information, see the following page on entering Canada by land during COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19-land.html

For travelers arriving to Canada by air

As of February 22, 2021, all air travelers, with some exceptions, will:
• be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test when they arrive in Canada before exiting the airport, and another toward the end of their 14-day quarantine period.
• be required to reserve prior to departure to Canada, a 3-night stay in a government-authorized hotel.
• be required to stay at their reserved hotel for up to 3 nights, at their own cost, while they await the results of their arrival test.

The list of PHAC-approved hotels (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers.html) will be available online on February 18, 2021. Travellers must reserve their accommodation prior to departure to Canada and pay for the cost of their 3-night mandatory stay. Costs of these hotel stays may vary slightly at each location. The price will include costs associated with the room, food, cleaning, infection prevention and control measures, security and transportation. Travelers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN.

Travellers who receive a negative test result from the test upon arrival at the airport in Canada, and have a suitable quarantine plan, will be able to leave the hotel and proceed to complete their 14-day quarantine at their planned quarantine location. Travellers who need to use public transportation or have an onward domestic flight to reach their final destination and planned quarantine location, can do so after they receive a negative result from the test they took when they arrived to Canada.

The Public Health Agency of Canada will supply ports of entry with test kits for travellers to take to meet the above-noted test requirements for air and land entry.

Travelers who do not meet the new quarantine requirement may be subject to fines.

For more information, see the following page on Entering Canada by air during COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19.html

Useful Links

We encourage you to visit the following webpages regularly for more information on the new measures to prevent further introduction and transmission of COVID-19 and new variants of the virus into Canada:

• News release - Government of Canada expands restrictions to international travel by land and air: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-expands-restrictions-to-international-travel-by-land-and-air.html
• Backgrounder - Additional testing and more stringent quarantine requirements for travel to Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/02/additional-testing-and-more-stringent-quarantine-requirements-for-travel-to-canada.html
• Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
• Backgrounder – Transport Canada Expansion of international flight restrictions: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/expansion-of-international-flight-restrictions-at-canadian-airports.html
• Backgrounder – New testing and quarantine measures for non-essential international air travel : https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/canada-to-implement-new-testing-and-quarantine-measures-to-reduce-covid-19-infection-related-to-non-essential-international-air-travel.html

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 15 Feb 2021
The Government of Canada announced today further testing and quarantine requirements for international travelers arriving to Canada’s air and land ports of entry.These new measures are in addition to existing mandatory pre-boarding and health requirements for air travelers. This means that travelers will still be denied boarding if they do not meet the pre-boarding molecular test (PCR) requirements. Find below some high-level information on these new measures. For travelers arriving to Canada by land: As of February 15, 2021, all travelers, with some exceptions, arriving to Canada by land, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, OR a proof of a positive test result within 14 and 90 days prior to arrival. This is consistent with the requirements already in place for air travelers. Essential workers such as truckers and emergency service providers, as well as those who live in cross border communities, will be exempt from this requirement. Further information on exemptions will be available in the coming days. In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travelers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine. For more information, see the following page on entering Canada by land during COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19-land.html For travelers arriving to Canada by air As of February 22, 2021, all air travelers, with some exceptions, will: • be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test when they arrive in Canada before exiting the airport, and another toward the end of their 14-day quarantine period. • be required to reserve prior to departure to Canada, a 3-night stay in a government-authorized hotel. • be required to stay at their reserved hotel for up to 3 nights, at their own cost, while they await the results of their arrival test. The list of PHAC-approved hotels (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers.html) will be available online on February 18, 2021. Travellers must reserve their accommodation prior to departure to Canada and pay for the cost of their 3-night mandatory stay. Costs of these hotel stays may vary slightly at each location. The price will include costs associated with the room, food, cleaning, infection prevention and control measures, security and transportation. Travelers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN. Travellers who receive a negative test result from the test upon arrival at the airport in Canada, and have a suitable quarantine plan, will be able to leave the hotel and proceed to complete their 14-day quarantine at their planned quarantine location. Travellers who need to use public transportation or have an onward domestic flight to reach their final destination and planned quarantine location, can do so after they receive a negative result from the test they took when they arrived to Canada. The Public Health Agency of Canada will supply ports of entry with test kits for travellers to take to meet the above-noted test requirements for air and land entry. Travelers who do not meet the new quarantine requirement may be subject to fines. For more information, see the following page on Entering Canada by air during COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19.html Useful LinksWe encourage you to visit the following webpages regularly for more information on the new measures to prevent further introduction and transmission of COVID-19 and new variants of the virus into Canada:• News release - Government of Canada expands restrictions to international travel by land and air: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-expands-restrictions-to-international-travel-by-land-and-air.html • Backgrounder - Additional testing and more stringent quarantine requirements for travel to Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/02/additional-testing-and-more-stringent-quarantine-requirements-for-travel-to-canada.html• Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html• Backgrounder – Transport Canada Expansion of international flight restrictions: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/expansion-of-international-flight-restrictions-at-canadian-airports.html• Backgrounder – New testing and quarantine measures for non-essential international air travel : https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/canada-to-implement-new-testing-and-quarantine-measures-to-reduce-covid-19-infection-related-to-non-essential-international-air-travel.html

Hi Simon, Thanks for sharing. The devil, as so often is the case, will be in the details. But it is encouraging. Dic
Max Shaw
Max Shaw
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
I think unfortunately that the news release needs to be read with the the full policy:  https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

It still shows Canada mostly closed to foreign nationals.

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Thanks for that clarification.
Simon

Fluenta - 15 Feb 2021
I think unfortunately that the news release needs to be read with the the full policy:  https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

It still shows Canada mostly closed to foreign nationals.

Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Thanks for the notification, even if overall the border rules have not changed.
We are like others, have our boat in Canada and are so looking forward to getting back.
So any news is worth knowing.
Anne & Michael

Max Shaw
Max Shaw
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 15 Feb 2021
Thanks for the notification, even if overall the border rules have not changed.We are like others, have our boat in Canada and are so looking forward to getting back.So any news is worth knowing.Anne & Michael

Looking forward to welcoming fellow sailors back to Canada !
Max Shaw
Max Shaw
Thanks for the notification, even if overall the border rules have not changed.We are like others, have our boat in Canada and are so looking forward to getting back.So any news is worth knowing.Anne & Michael

I say hi to Nimue for you every time I go through the yard.
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Thanks Max, hope to have a beer 🍺 with you in the Stonehouse pub, later this year.
Anne & Michael
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Michael & Anne Hartshorn
Thanks Max, hope to have a beer 🍺 with you in the Stonehouse pub, later this year.Anne & Michael

Hi
We asked the manager of the marina (Sidney, Vancouver island) his thoughts on Canada's situation.

Thanks for the note! Yes, it is wild to think it has been an entire year since the wheels came off of the world! I was thinking of you the other day as I toured the boatyard and passed by Nimue. I have no real insights regarding the boarder but my gut feel is that it will be at least September before it gets opened and then, likely only to people like you who have been vaccinated and can prove it. Transport Canada announced two weeks ago that there will be no International or Domestic Cruise Ships plying Canadian waters until February 2022. That is very different that recreational boating but it does give some insight into how the Canadian government is thinking. I don’t know if the US Border is any more open but there is a way that you could get the boat moved to a US port like Anacortes , by using a commercial skipper, if flights into the US were any easier from the UK. We have had some boats move back and forth this way once all the paperwork is done. It would cost more than you doing it yourself but it may speed things up for you if it is an option. I will see if I can find out anything further and if I do, I will get back to you. Glad to hear you are well and have got the shots. We are still waiting and I don’t see my age group being vaccinated until June or July at the earliest. We have done well at the marina and have kept working right through with no reported illness or outbreaks. All the best.

Regards
Anne & Michael.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Thanks both.

Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 1 Mar 2021
Thanks Max, hope to have a beer 🍺 with you in the Stonehouse pub, later this year.Anne & Michael

Hi
We asked the manager of the marina (Sidney, Vancouver island) his thoughts on Canada's situation.

Thanks for the note! Yes, it is wild to think it has been an entire year since the wheels came off of the world! I was thinking of you the other day as I toured the boatyard and passed by Nimue. I have no real insights regarding the boarder but my gut feel is that it will be at least September before it gets opened and then, likely only to people like you who have been vaccinated and can prove it. Transport Canada announced two weeks ago that there will be no International or Domestic Cruise Ships plying Canadian waters until February 2022. That is very different that recreational boating but it does give some insight into how the Canadian government is thinking. I don’t know if the US Border is any more open but there is a way that you could get the boat moved to a US port like Anacortes , by using a commercial skipper, if flights into the US were any easier from the UK. We have had some boats move back and forth this way once all the paperwork is done. It would cost more than you doing it yourself but it may speed things up for you if it is an option. I will see if I can find out anything further and if I do, I will get back to you. Glad to hear you are well and have got the shots. We are still waiting and I don’t see my age group being vaccinated until June or July at the earliest. We have done well at the marina and have kept working right through with no reported illness or outbreaks. All the best.

Regards
Anne & Michael.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search