Emergency service at sea

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thierry - 30 Apr 2021
Yachts are apparently not the core business of these organisations. They shoot on bigger targets. Our contact seemed, however, to be willing to discuss and accomodate.

Training is indeed fine, part of the official training to get the Swiss sailing paper. But this does not replace a good contact. All the more so since we hope to never use the training, which tends to rust.

Thanks for the discussion. I'll post whatever evolves from this.

Cheers

Thierry
Hi Thierry,
I am glad you are getting training. I would suggest also spending some time with an emergency wilderness medical book. A good one is suggested in the Forum pages on the subject.
And you are correct to flag that training can "rust" away. I should have mentioned that periodic re-freshers are important. Also mentioned in these pages was a wilderness emergency medicine course that my wife and I took on-line this last covid year: probably not as good as in-person, but a very good re-fresher.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Thierry
Thierry
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Dear All,

We made a deal with The first Call Medical service (https://www.thefirstcall.com). Making the deal was easy. The manager was responsive.

I received a sheet describing procedures in different levels of urgency.

I did request advice for a dental problem. An answer came within  few hours. It was sound and signed by a professional who seems to have all the required capacities.

I'll continue with them in coming years when needed.

Roberto.Ritossa
Roberto.Ritossa
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Hello,
may I add CIRM, Centro Internazionale Radio Medico, web site http://www.cirmtmas.it/ 
Based in ROme, they provide free medical advice to seafarers in English and Italian language.
It was founded in 1935 (I think the historically second such center of medical assistance to mariners), they deal with thousands of cases per year, from fishermen to cargo ship crews, to pleasure sailors; just have a look at their yearly statistics/archive. All advice is free.
They can be contacted through phone or mail, see here:
http://213.183.150.75/_cirmtmas/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/CIRM_report-prova-finale-3.pdf
For those using Winlink, this form is available among Winlink templates.
They are recognized by MRCCs as one of the official entities entitled to require Medical evacuations.

ps we had to call them once while crossing the Atlantic (suspect of invalidating sinusistis): sent email through Winlink with all the details (descriptions of patient, symptoms, etc plus available drugs onboard), we checked again the email half an hour later and there was their answer, they asked a followup every 12 hour which we could not afford due to radio propagation, they perfectly understood and gave according advice.

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Roberto.Ritossa - 12 Sep 2021
Hello,
may I add CIRM, Centro Internazionale Radio Medico, web site http://www.cirmtmas.it/ 
Based in ROme, they provide free medical advice to seafarers in English and Italian language.
It was founded in 1935 (I think the historically second such center of medical assistance to mariners), they deal with thousands of cases per year, from fishermen to cargo ship crews, to pleasure sailors; just have a look at their yearly statistics/archive. All advice is free.
They can be contacted through phone or mail, see here:
http://213.183.150.75/_cirmtmas/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/CIRM_report-prova-finale-3.pdf
For those using Winlink, this form is available among Winlink templates.
They are recognized by MRCCs as one of the official entities entitled to require Medical evacuations.

ps we had to call them once while crossing the Atlantic (suspect of invalidating sinusistis): sent email through Winlink with all the details (descriptions of patient, symptoms, etc plus available drugs onboard), we checked again the email half an hour later and there was their answer, they asked a followup every 12 hour which we could not afford due to radio propagation, they perfectly understood and gave according advice.

Hi Roberto,
Nice report. I especially liked the Winlink connection as it is a largely unheralded way to stay connected at sea.
My best, Dick Stevenson, KC2HKW
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search