Emergency service at sea

Author
Thierry
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone have experience with sites proposing to answer calls in case of medical emergencies while at sea or in remote areas?

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thierry,
I copied the text below from one of the other threads below. There are others too including a very professional outfit that support the Clipper race. I’ll try and remember their name.
Simon

‘There are a number of organisations that will supply such drugs; initially mine came from a pharmacist in Jersey. He had retired by the time I needed replacements and so I contacted Medical Support Offshore (https://www.msos.org.uk/home.html) who replaced them for me - at a price. Once they have supplied the drugs they will support you at sea - (call a their doctor 24/7 via sat phone) - he knows exactly what kit you have and can advise you what to do. Theirs is a comprehensive service which you can pick and choose from but it is aimed at SuperYachts so they are not shy about billings!

OthersI am aware that Vortec Marine (https://www.vortecmarine.com/medicalkits) will arrange the supply of non-controlled drugs. As to ongoing advice, they refreshingly point out that FREE emergency medical advice is available 365 days a year 24/7 by contacting a UK Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) (HF radio or Sat Phone) and being linked to the duty doctor with whom you can agree a care plan for a casualty on board. ‘
Thierry
Thierry
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Simon Currin - 19 Apr 2021
Thierry,I copied the text below from one of the other threads below. There are others too including a very professional outfit that support the Clipper race. I’ll try and remember their name.Simon‘There are a number of organisations that will supply such drugs; initially mine came from a pharmacist in Jersey. He had retired by the time I needed replacements and so I contacted Medical Support Offshore (https://www.msos.org.uk/home.html) who replaced them for me - at a price. Once they have supplied the drugs they will support you at sea - (call a their doctor 24/7 via sat phone) - he knows exactly what kit you have and can advise you what to do. Theirs is a comprehensive service which you can pick and choose from but it is aimed at SuperYachts so they are not shy about billings!OthersI am aware that Vortec Marine (https://www.vortecmarine.com/medicalkits) will arrange the supply of non-controlled drugs. As to ongoing advice, they refreshingly point out that FREE emergency medical advice is available 365 days a year 24/7 by contacting a UK Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) (HF radio or Sat Phone) and being linked to the duty doctor with whom you can agree a care plan for a casualty on board. ‘

Thanks Simon, I have now been in touch with Roderick J Macdonald
Chief Executive
TheFirstCall
International Centre for Emergency Medicine
Aberdeen
T +44 (0)1224 435901
M +44(0)7876 545723
W www.thefirstcall.com

Do you know them?

Cheers

Thierry

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Thierry - 19 Apr 2021
Thierry,I copied the text below from one of the other threads below. There are others too including a very professional outfit that support the Clipper race. I’ll try and remember their name.Simon‘There are a number of organisations that will supply such drugs; initially mine came from a pharmacist in Jersey. He had retired by the time I needed replacements and so I contacted Medical Support Offshore (https://www.msos.org.uk/home.html) who replaced them for me - at a price. Once they have supplied the drugs they will support you at sea - (call a their doctor 24/7 via sat phone) - he knows exactly what kit you have and can advise you what to do. Theirs is a comprehensive service which you can pick and choose from but it is aimed at SuperYachts so they are not shy about billings!OthersI am aware that Vortec Marine (https://www.vortecmarine.com/medicalkits) will arrange the supply of non-controlled drugs. As to ongoing advice, they refreshingly point out that FREE emergency medical advice is available 365 days a year 24/7 by contacting a UK Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) (HF radio or Sat Phone) and being linked to the duty doctor with whom you can agree a care plan for a casualty on board. ‘

Chief Executive
TheFirstCall
Aberdeen
T +44 (0)1224 435901
M +44(0)7876 545723
W www.thefirstcall.com

Do you know them?

Cheers

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
In addition to Simon's good thoughts:
My research is a number of years old, but at the time, there was no reasonably priced “on-call” services for our size recreational vessels.
Two thoughts:
We have a friend who is a physician who we asked to be our “Ship’s Surgeon”. He was tickled to be “included” in our wanderings (he is also our phone contact person for EPIRB distress signal). He has our medical histories and knows our medical kit and was willing to take our “emergency” calls (which have “knock-on-wood” in 70,000nm has not occurred). Until recent years when we have had a satphone, he would not have been available (or easily available) when off-shore.
The other go-to item (untested) was:
1.    Falmouth Coast Guard, +44 132-631-7575.
a.     Using their Medical Advice Link Calls they will connect you to Portsmouth Hospital where there are doctors experienced in medical emergencies at sea.

This should be checked out as this data may be dated.
It may not be smooth or seamless, but SSB calls to US CG vessels can travel a long distance at certain times and conditions.
Let us know what other possibilities you find.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Thierry,
No I haven’t heard of the Aberdeen service but I am sure they will be fine. The outfit I was trying to remember the name of is https://praxes.ca/ and I had some correspondence with them a couple of years ago. I think there was talk then of an occ discount but I can’t remember precisely what came of it.
Simon

Thierry - 19 Apr 2021

Chief Executive
TheFirstCall
Aberdeen
T +44 (0)1224 435901
M +44(0)7876 545723
W www.thefirstcall.com

Do you know them?

Cheers

Thierry

Roger Harris
Roger Harris
Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)
I have no personal experience (or connection) with Praxes Medical Group as referenced by Simon, but they seem to have a good reputation. They have been "Global Medical Support Partner" to several editions of the Clipper RTW Race.

Here's a link to a 2017 Yachting World article that might be helpful: "Telemedicine for cruisers beyond the reach of an airlift". Both Praxes and MSOS are mentioned, as well as Medaire. Another telemedical servicer provider, not referred to in the article, is On Call International.

The non-profit Centro Internazionale Radio Medico has been providing seafarers with a free telecommunications medical advice service since way back in 1935. You can read about their excellent work in Mahdi and Amenta, "Eighty years of CIRM: a journey of commitment and dedication in providing maritime medical assistance", (2016) International Maritime Health, 67(4):187-195 (pdf copy here.

Thierry
Thierry
Dear All,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have had no reply from praxes and decided to continue with the International Centre for Emergency Medicine. They offered me a monthly deal (100 Pounds)  for the length of time needed which seems reasonable.

I'll keep you informed on the quality of the contact, although I do hope that we won't need them.

It would indeed be good to have an OCC recommendation, or collective deal, with one company. The web pages of the organisations I looked at are rather thin on real information, in particular for our community.

Thierry

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Thierry - 29 Apr 2021
Dear All,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have had no reply from praxes and decided to continue with the International Centre for Emergency Medicine. They offered me a monthly deal (100 Pounds)  for the length of time needed which seems reasonable.

I'll keep you informed on the quality of the contact, although I do hope that we won't need them.

It would indeed be good to have an OCC recommendation, or collective deal, with one company. The web pages of the organisations I looked at are rather thin on real information, in particular for our community.

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
I suspect you have this covered, but for other readers, I would wish to strongly suggest that those wandering widely by boat have at least one person, preferably every person and especially if a husband-and-wife team, trained in emergency wilderness medicine training. (see other streams in the Forum for a discussion in this area)
Outside consultation and coaching may be a life saver, but if the care-giver is not familiar with basic evaluative, diagnostic and treatment procedures: appropriate intervention and treatment may be severely slowed down or compromised.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Ps. On a broader, but related, theme: I feel that there is too much emphasis on having “gear” for emergencies: an expensive and extensive medical kit which was bought, stowed carefully on board, but never opened or practiced with. Or, all the latest crew-over-board gear, but never doing drills.

Roger Harris
Roger Harris
Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)Gaining Respect (118 reputation)
Wow! “No reply from Praxes” appears to say all that needs to be known about their service level.

I second Dick’s comment about prioritizing training and practice over purchasing ‘stuff’.
Thierry
Thierry
Yachts are apparently not the core business of these organisations. They shoot on bigger targets. Our contact seemed, however, to be willing to discuss and accomodate.

Training is indeed fine, part of the official training to get the Swiss sailing paper. But this does not replace a good contact. All the more so since we hope to never use the training, which tends to rust.

Thanks for the discussion. I'll post whatever evolves from this.

Cheers

Thierry

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search