Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
dcaukill - 14 Nov 2021
A couple of observations.

I have 4x200Ahr LiPO4 batteries fitted as the house bank: charged by 2x100Amp chargers, or the engine alternator, or solar panels. The AGM bowthruster batteries are charged by a DC charger off the house bank as are the engine and generator AGMs by trickle chargers. Everything: batteries, controllers, chargers etc is branded Mastervolt and  installled by thier reps. It all works well.

Fire exinguisher by Nueruppin.Their WD range is specifically directed at Lithium batteries.

Hi dcaukill,
Thanks for your report. Sounds like a well thought through set-up. That is interesting about the fire extinguisher being designed for lithium.
Does your insurance co. know that you have lithium batteries and did they have any reaction? Did they suggest the fire extinguisher?
MV seems to have done a good job at putting together packages.
My best, Dick

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Michael & Anne Hartshorn - 14 Nov 2021
We are replacing our batteries next year and talking to a couple of electrical techs in Canada, they have recommended Firefly as a cheaper alternative to lithium. Has anyone any experience with them ?

Hi Anne and Michael,
No personal experience, but I believe the following to be the case, but please check out what I say:
I have heard good things about Fireflys, but not from anyone I know personally. They are AGMs and, I suspect, may suffer (depending on cruising style) from the usual AGM requirement of really liking to be fully charged with regularity: this is hard/perhaps impossible if you live at anchor for long periods.
The other consideration: sulfation kills batteries and some AGMs (Lifeline) can be equalized (and not an easy task) to mitigate their sulfation. Firefly’s construction is reported to mitigate the effects of sulfation, but I believe the jury is still out in this regard.
Let us know what you discover.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Phil,
I believe Jorge Esdorn just last year has switched his batteries to LiFePo4. I think he had the work done at Astilleros Lagos working with POR Alberto Lagos. You might try contacting him. 
Daria

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Daria Blackwell - 22 Nov 2021
Phil,
I believe Jorge Esdorn just last year has switched his batteries to LiFePo4. I think he had the work done at Astilleros Lagos working with POR Alberto Lagos. You might try contacting him. 
Daria

Thanks
Dick
Dick
We are replacing our batteries next year and talking to a couple of electrical techs in Canada, they have recommended Firefly as a cheaper alternative to lithium. Has anyone any experience with them ?

Hi Anne and Michael,
I ran across some info on Firefly batteries, written straight from the FF manual. They talk about “restoration” which sounds like their word for equalization: a process to undo the effects of sulfation and prolong life.
Lifeline AGMs recommend equalization.
Some cruisers seem not to do this process and things work out ok: others have reported battery life shortened, while some swear that equalization is required in an AGM maintenance program.
The above is one reason I have stayed with good quality Gel cell batteries over the decades, although, I suspect that when the time comes again for new batteries (5 years) lithium will be well established and safe and that is the way I will go.
But, please read the FF manual on restoration: I am surprised that your consultants did not mention this aspect as it sounds like a lot of effort.
Please, let us know what you find out.

Dick
Dick
Dick - 23 Nov 2021

Hi Anne and Michael,
I ran across some info on Firefly batteries, written straight from the FF manual. They talk about “restoration” which sounds like their word for equalization: a process to undo the effects of sulfation and prolong life.
Some cruisers seem not to do this process and things work out ok: others have reported battery life shortened, while some swear that equalization is required in an AGM maintenance program.
The above is one reason I have stayed with good quality Gel cell batteries over the decades, although, I suspect that when the time comes again for new batteries (5 years) lithium will be well established and safe and that is the way I will go.
But, please read the FF manual on restoration: I am surprised that your consultants did not mention this aspect as it sounds like a lot of effort.

I wrote this for another forum, but it is worth sharing:
Hi all,
This post is doubly motivated.
First, I wish to introduce a man, RC Collins, to any who have not come across his work yet. He has a web site (https://marinehowto.com/) where there are essays and pictures walking a DIY’r easily through a wide variety of projects. Even if not anticipating a project, just reading is immensely informative.
The other motivation is to share that he has written an essay on the current state of affairs with lithium batteries: construction, choice, installation, insurance, safety etc. I consider it pretty definitive.
He has been writing about boats and lithium for years and has had a lithium bank on his boat for ~~ a decade.
I would suggest it essential reading for all those considering lithium.

Andy.Simonds
Andy.Simonds
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Dick - 20 Mar 2022
Dick - 23 Nov 2021

Hi Anne and Michael,

Hi all,
First, I wish to introduce a man, RC Collins, to any who have not come across his work yet. He has a web site (https://marinehowto.com/) where there are essays and pictures walking a DIY’r easily through a wide variety of projects. Even if not anticipating a project, just reading is immensely informative.
The other motivation is to share that he has written an essay on the current state of affairs with lithium batteries: construction, choice, installation, insurance, safety etc. I consider it pretty definitive.
He has been writing about boats and lithium for years and has had a lithium bank on his boat for ~~ a decade.

Marinehowto.com is a great site.  It's important to note that RC Collins has had a stroke and is unable to keep the store up and running, but the site is still there.  He needs some assistance.  This is an opportunity to give back to someone who has asked for nothing in exchange for the free and valuable advice that he has shared with the sailing/boating community.

Thanks all.

Andy Simonds, Leslie Reed
s/v Kairos
Dick
Dick
Andy.Simonds - 23 Mar 2022
Dick - 20 Mar 2022
Dick - 23 Nov 2021

Hi Anne and Michael,

Hi all,

Marinehowto.com is a great site.  It's important to note that RC Collins has had a stroke and is unable to keep the store up and running, but the site is still there.  He needs some assistance.  This is an opportunity to give back to someone who has asked for nothing in exchange for the free and valuable advice that he has shared with the sailing/boating community.

Thanks all.

Andy Simonds, Leslie Reed
s/v Kairos
Hi Andy &  Leslie,
All that is very true.
With extra-ordinary effort (the dictation/typing), this is the first written piece Rod has done since his stroke. Clearly his mind seems back in gear and hopefully his writing efforts will get continue to improve.
I have donated to him over the years (he does his impressive site as a community contribution), and also recently with the  reports of his stroke as he was completely self-employed.
I urge all to do so with you as there are few contributions that match his in the marine world.

dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Dick - 14 Nov 2021
[quote]
dcaukill - 14 Nov 2021

I have 4x200Ahr LiPO4 batteries fitted as the house bank: charged by 2x100Amp chargers, or the engine alternator, or solar panels. The AGM bowthruster batteries are charged by a DC charger off the house bank as are the engine and generator AGMs by trickle chargers. Everything: batteries, controllers, chargers etc is branded Mastervolt and  installled by thier reps. It all works well.

Fire exinguisher by Nueruppin.Their WD range is specifically directed at Lithium batteries.

Hi dcaukill,
Thanks for your report. Sounds like a well thought through set-up. That is interesting about the fire extinguisher being designed for lithium.
Does your insurance co. know that you have lithium batteries and did they have any reaction? Did they suggest the fire extinguisher?
My best, Dick
[/quoThe boat having been refitted fairly extensively over the last couple of years, i have now talked my insurers through the work that has been done. Specifically as regards the LiFePO4 batteries, beause they are Mastervolt, fitted to a Mastervolt set up by a Mastervolt dealer they are unconcerned. Because i was aware of your concern i mentioned it to be told that insurers generally do not like DIY lithium conversions and often wont cover them - at least not without an 'expert' assessment.
Thats the good news - the bad news is that they have withdrawn cover for named storms in the Caribbean :-(.   It's hard to find a European insurer who will cover it now.

Dick
Dick
dcaukill - 31 Mar 2022
Dick - 14 Nov 2021
[quote]
dcaukill - 14 Nov 2021

Hi dcaukill,
My best, Dick
[/quo
The boat having been refitted fairly extensively over the last couple of years, i have now talked my insurers through the work that has been done. Specifically as regards the LiFePO4 batteries, beause they are Mastervolt, fitted to a Mastervolt set up by a Mastervolt dealer they are unconcerned. Because i was aware of your concern i mentioned it to be told that insurers generally do not like DIY lithium conversions and often wont cover them - at least not without an 'expert' assessment.
Thats the good news - the bad news is that they have withdrawn cover for named storms in the Caribbean :-(.   It's hard to find a European insurer who will cover it now.

Hi DCaukill,
Good info.
Question: Any named storm in the carib in any location at any time? Did they have acceptable dates or acceptable locations or is it as blanket as you described.
Thanks, Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search