AIS and VHF problem

Author
Mithril
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We have a Digital Yacht AIS transponder and a Standard Horizon Matrix GX 2000 VHF. It has all worked perfectly for a few years, we picked up targets through WiFi on a tablet but also saw them through a hard wire on the VHF display. Two weeks ago we noticed the VHF display was not showing all targets in range and then started showing targets that didn't exist. Then a few days later it stopped showing any targets although it still shows our GPS position. The targets still show on the tablet through the WiFi. The wiring seems OK as far as we can tell. As you might expect each company is blaming the other company's instrument. Has any one else had this problem or have any suggestions. We find the VHF display useful as an early warning system, particularly overnight as it is in the cockpit.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Mithril - 9 Jun 2022
We have a Digital Yacht AIS transponder and a Standard Horizon Matrix GX 2000 VHF. It has all worked perfectly for a few years, we picked up targets through WiFi on a tablet but also saw them through a hard wire on the VHF display. Two weeks ago we noticed the VHF display was not showing all targets in range and then started showing targets that didn't exist. Then a few days later it stopped showing any targets although it still shows our GPS position. The targets still show on the tablet through the WiFi. The wiring seems OK as far as we can tell. As you might expect each company is blaming the other company's instrument. Has any one else had this problem or have any suggestions. We find the VHF display useful as an early warning system, particularly overnight as it is in the cockpit.

Hi Mithril,
The SH device is merely a display (added onto a VHF) for the data collected by the DY transponder, as I understand it. So, it sounds like the DY is working properly (getting good AIS data displayed through wifi to various devices) while the SH unit is not displaying the data hard wired from the DY properly. Since it has worked in the past, I suspect it is not a NMEA 1830 vs NMEA 2000 compatibility problem. So hopefully the data wiring DY to SH is not ok (easily checked-look for a smidgeon of corrosion or something else) or the SH unit is not functioning properly.
Or perhaps I have misunderstood…
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Mithril
Mithril
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Dick - 9 Jun 2022
Mithril - 9 Jun 2022

Hi Mithril,
The SH device is merely a display (added onto a VHF) for the data collected by the DY transponder, as I understand it. So, it sounds like the DY is working properly (getting good AIS data displayed through wifi to various devices) while the SH unit is not displaying the data hard wired from the DY properly. Since it has worked in the past, I suspect it is not a NMEA 1830 vs NMEA 2000 compatibility problem. So hopefully the data wiring DY to SH is not ok (easily checked-look for a smidgeon of corrosion or something else) or the SH unit is not functioning properly.

Thanks, we need to check the wiring again more thoroughly.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Mithril - 10 Jun 2022
Dick - 9 Jun 2022
Mithril - 9 Jun 2022

Hi Mithril,

Thanks, we need to check the wiring again more thoroughly.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search