Wireless Headsets

Author
Derek.Smith
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are looking to invest in some wireless headsets … primarily for ‘non-shouty’ communications between Helm & Bow when anchoring or picking up a buoy, etc.

Not sure exactly where to start and would therefore welcome any thoughts, experiences (good, indifferent or bad) from Forum members.

Thanks in advance!

Derek & Letitia

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)Forum Expert (897 reputation)
Derek.Smith - 11 Jul 2022
We are looking to invest in some wireless headsets … primarily for ‘non-shouty’ communications between Helm & Bow when anchoring or picking up a buoy, etc.Not sure exactly where to start and would therefore welcome any thoughts, experiences (good, indifferent or bad) from Forum members. Thanks in advance!Derek & Letitia

Hi Derek and Letitia
There are good ones out there, but not being a user, I do not have any suggestions along those lines.
I do suggest having good hand signals (we have used them for decades) that are practiced for when the batteries die, the wind compromises the mike or the one of the units breaks. I had a back and forth on another forum about the pros and cons, until he revealed that he was enclosed in a full cockpit enclosure that made visibility difficult (so no hand signals) and shouting not workable. (an enclosure like that clearly has other issues as well).
Come back if you do not find a recommendation.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Derek
We use the Sena Snowtalk Bluetooth headsets which use the Bluetooth intercom technology. They are designed for skiers and fit under a headband or helmet - we use the latter for sailing. They exclude wind noise and an additional microphone is not required. We have the first version and pairing is a bit quirky and requires patience but I gather this has been addressed in later versions. Continuous talk time is about 8 hours. They are brilliant.
Simon
Derek.Smith
Derek.Smith
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Hi, thanks for the steer on headsets, we’ll check those out!    Sorry for delay in replying, we’ve been doing lots of non boat things for a few weeks, back into preparing for Pacific trip now!

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
We also use Sena headsets. They can be somewhat unreliable - and replacing batteries is a bit of an issue - and voids any warranty. HOWEVER - two of our three pairs are working great - and we use them for anchoring - reducing the amount of shouting going on. They are also fantastic when going up the mast. Highly recommended - though I wish they were a tad more robust!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Derek.Smith
Derek.Smith
Bill Balme - 16 Aug 2022
We also use Sena headsets. They can be somewhat unreliable - and replacing batteries is a bit of an issue - and voids any warranty. HOWEVER - two of our three pairs are working great - and we use them for anchoring - reducing the amount of shouting going on. They are also fantastic when going up the mast. Highly recommended - though I wish they were a tad more robust!

Hello Bill,
Thanks for your comments and guidance. Fairly sure we are going for the Sena SPH-10 headsets. Comms at anchoring being the main issue, saves shouting and any possible confusion around hand signals. I regularly receive a very assertive and clear hand signal from my better half, but that’s normally after we have anchored. 😱 Hopefully headsets will make life much simpler and harmonious!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search