Mediterranean in the Winter

Author
Gian Luca Fiori
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I'm planning to spend 2023-2024 winter in the mediterranean cruising around with no destination and no time limit. I'm not sure what are the best cruising grounds, Sicily and Ionian Greece, Eastern Greece Islands, Turkey. I would appreciate suggestions or guides to try to plot a rough itinerary, marinas and anchorages, good places to exchange crews. Vivaldi is an American Flag vessel so I need also to consider my limitations. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Gian Luca Fiori - 7 Sep 2022
Hello, I'm planning to spend 2023-2024 winter in the mediterranean cruising around with no destination and no time limit. I'm not sure what are the best cruising grounds, Sicily and Ionian Greece, Eastern Greece Islands, Turkey. I would appreciate suggestions or guides to try to plot a rough itinerary, marinas and anchorages, good places to exchange crews. Vivaldi is an American Flag vessel so I need also to consider my limitations. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Hi Gian,
All of the above.
You will get better and more helpful suggestions if you specify your cruising goals and interests. For example: marinas or anchor out, isolated areas or populated, getting to know local cultures and people vs spending time with the cruising community, museums and history vs hanging out in beautiful anchorages, well documented cruising grounds or off the beaten path cruising, etc.
The Med has it all, but one generally must pick & choose.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Ps. You said the winter cruising. Did you mean the season?

Gian Luca Fiori
Gian Luca Fiori
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

More specifics. I'm planning to be in the Mediterranean from July 2023 until November 2024 and I'm starting to sketch a plan for the winter months, November 2023 to March 2024 in the lower latitudes of the Mediterranean. I'm thinking that the greek islands could be a good place to spend those months. In the Aegean Sea, which island are a must destination because the beauty, or the history, or the marinas. What should I expect for weather, it seems that it would be a little cold, some rain but you can pick up good days to move from one place to the other. How complicated is to follow the rules: it seems that you need an agent so, how you choose a reputable one. I appreciate any input to help me to gain more knowledge.

Thanks,
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Gian Luca Fiori
Gian Luca Fiori
Dick - 8 Sep 2022
More specifics. I'm planning to be in the Mediterranean from July 2023 until November 2024 and I'm starting to sketch a plan for the winter months, November 2023 to March 2024 in the lower latitudes of the Mediterranean. I'm thinking that the greek islands could be a good place to spend those months. In the Aegean Sea, which island are a must destination because the beauty, or the history, or the marinas. What should I expect for weather, it seems that it would be a little cold, some rain but you can pick up good days to move from one place to the other. How complicated is to follow the rules: it seems that you need an agent so, how you choose a reputable one. I appreciate any input to help me to gain more knowledge.

Thanks,
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Hi Gian,
All of the above.
You will get better and more helpful suggestions if you specify your cruising goals and interests. For example: marinas or anchor out, isolated areas or populated, getting to know local cultures and people vs spending time with the cruising community, museums and history vs hanging out in beautiful anchorages, well documented cruising grounds or off the beaten path cruising, etc.
The Med has it all, but one generally must pick & choose.
Ps. You said the winter cruising. Did you mean the season?

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Hi Gian,
I see that you have responded, but nothing seems to come up. Not sure if it is me, the Forum, or you. Dick
Gian Luca Fiori
Gian Luca Fiori

Thanks,
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi
Dick
Dick
Gian Luca Fiori - 15 Sep 2022

Thanks,
Gian Luca
s/v Vivaldi

Hi Gian,
What you are proposing is eminently do-able, but very few do it.
My memory of the Med in the winter (3 winters over-wintering in Turkey) was that we had 4-5 days that were just gorgeous: cold in the mornings (0-5C) and lovely afternoon (up to 15C) and when the sun set ~~1600 it got cold fast.
Then after that string of days, some really gnarly weather would come through and you would want to be somewhere protected for a couple of days. And then, once a month or so, it would really get ugly for a few days, gale winds, rain etc.
We left early and sailed late and we encountered some of the above and were fine, but it was challenging cruising and we needed to move in high winds at times.
The Greek Islands are wonderful, but many of the usual wharfs that one stern ties to will be too exposed for comfort and safety in the winter so you must pick and choose.
We never needed an agent for any of the countries we visited in the Med. Dealings with officialdom was fairly straightforward and well described in the guides we used.
I have lost track, but a couple of the Greek marinas seem to be preferred over-wintering spots. Turkey had the Marmaris area, Fethiya (sp?), and Kemer with one other around the corner from Kemer whose name escapes me.

Stefan.Ecke
Stefan.Ecke
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Hi Gian,
it´s my first season at the Med. But I can tell you what I find out. Very helpfull for anchorages und habours had been the App NAVILY. There you get a lot of informations about nic e places to stay. You also can book a berth with Navily for the same price you pay at the habour itself. Not every information is usefull because many persons write if the dinner at restaurant had been nice, But many informations are very good. At the Aegean Sea there is the strong Meltemi at main season. Not very nice this year. We leave Italy for may because the habour fees are getting expensive than. We spend our summer at the Ionian Sea from may to august. Many charterboats but you find quiet places if you like. Sinc september we are now at  the Aegean Sea. Wind and temperatures are nice at daytime now in november. Also the water is 19° C. Have a look for winterplace early because there are not many in Greece which are safe and the save ones are full very early. For more information you can have a look at our homepage, also available in English via google translate. https://mokendeistsegeln.wordpress.com/
Best regards from SV Mokendeist, Stefan

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search