Cape Verde Chart Needed

Author
John.Knight
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm looking for a chart that includes detail of Mindelo harbour. I am in Estepona now, going to Gib about 28 Oct 2022 then leave for Lanzarote about 1 Nov; eta St Martin Nov 30.  John Knight (new member) SV Rhapsody Oyster 485-34 (new to us.) 
We do not plan to go to Cape Verde, but would like a chart in case we need. Assuming no late hurricane, I plan to leave Canaries about 10 Nov and to aim first at 19N 29W, which would put us about 200nm NW of Mindelo.
jfk48jfk@gmail  Spanish mobile, until about 10 Nov 34 711081440
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
John.Knight - 8 Oct 2022
I'm looking for a chart that includes detail of Mindelo harbour. I am in Estepona now, going to Gib about 28 Oct 2022 then leave for Lanzarote about 1 Nov; eta St Martin Nov 30.  John Knight (new member) SV Rhapsody Oyster 485-34 (new to us.) 
We do not plan to go to Cape Verde, but would like a chart in case we need. Assuming no late hurricane, I plan to leave Canaries about 10 Nov and to aim first at 19N 29W, which would put us about 200nm NW of Mindelo.

Hi John,
No one seems to be answering, so let me take a shot.
I call what you are asking for (I think) as “bail-out” charts: paper charts that will get me into a safe shore port in case of a lightning strike (or the like) which knocks out all electronics.
Why not get the charts you wish up on a computer in the size you want and print them? You could then hand draw in any details that would be important but were missing on the printed copy.
I did not always have harbor level scale charts, but figured that if I had paper charts to get me off the port’s entrance, I could follow someone in or call on a handheld radio or in some other way convey I needed help entering.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

John.Knight
John.Knight
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Dick - 18 Oct 2022
John.Knight - 8 Oct 2022

Hi John,
I call what you are asking for (I think) as “bail-out” charts: paper charts that will get me into a safe shore port in case of a lightning strike (or the like) which knocks out all electronics.
Why not get the charts you wish up on a computer in the size you want and print them? You could then hand draw in any details that would be important but were missing on the printed copy.
I did not always have harbor level scale charts, but figured that if I had paper charts to get me off the port’s entrance, I could follow someone in or call on a handheld radio or in some other way convey I needed help entering.

Hello DIck,
Thanks.Yes it's a back up "plan B"  for which I need the chart. (I don't like "Bail-out" much - sounds like jumping out of an aeroplane!)  I don't have a printer aboard yet: will have one soon.
I did find my notes in a log file of when I went into Mindelo last December - long story. This year - another long story! - the Admiral is aboard and wants a paper chart of Mindelo.Last year she was texting me from Florida via Zoleo with the lat/lon of the wreck, the ferry dock, and the outside of the pontoons at the marina ( a third long story!)  So I have it more or less solved: as long as the light is working on Dos Passeros then I can find my way into the same spot I anchored last year! But all that might well be not good enough for Admiral Nancy........

Please can you email me at jfk48jfk@gmail.com with your email? I will then email you a copy of what I'm right now sending out to crew.
What about? Your article on Key Approach to Passagemaking - excellent! 
Best wishes,
John
SV Rhapsody Oyster 485-34 Estepona Spain

:
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
John.Knight - 23 Oct 2022
Dick - 18 Oct 2022
John.Knight - 8 Oct 2022

Hi John,

Hello DIck,
Thanks.Yes it's a back up "plan B"  for which I need the chart. (I don't like "Bail-out" much - sounds like jumping out of an aeroplane!)  I don't have a printer aboard yet: will have one soon.
I did find my notes in a log file of when I went into Mindelo last December - long story. This year - another long story! - the Admiral is aboard and wants a paper chart of Mindelo.Last year she was texting me from Florida via Zoleo with the lat/lon of the wreck, the ferry dock, and the outside of the pontoons at the marina ( a third long story!)  So I have it more or less solved: as long as the light is working on Dos Passeros then I can find my way into the same spot I anchored last year! But all that might well be not good enough for Admiral Nancy........

Please can you email me at jfk48jfk@gmail.com with your email? I will then email you a copy of what I'm right now sending out to crew.
What about? Your article on Key Approach to Passagemaking - excellent! 
Best wishes,
John
SV Rhapsody Oyster 485-34 Estepona Spain

:

Hi John,
I agree: plan “B” is far more cerebral, rational and pre-meditated (and far less anxious) than “bail-out”, but bail-out is the way I think of it from the comfort (and safety) of my armchair.
Glad the chart info is sorted.
I will email you. I appreciate the kind words regarding my “Key Approaches…” article.
My best, Dick

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search