Starlink

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
A thumbs up for Starlink RV which we have just installed. Mounted in a modified fishing rod holder in a winch socket it was up and running in minutes with 100 mbs download speeds. Cost effective too.
Simon

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 23 Oct 2022
A thumbs up for Starlink RV which we have just installed. Mounted in a modified fishing rod holder in a winch socket it was up and running in minutes with 100 mbs download speeds. Cost effective too.Simon

Hi Simon,
Really interesting and encouraging. It will be interesting to see whether the system can tolerate the increased loads as people sign up: but a good start.
As I travel, I note that I consider internet more and more like other utilities I do not want to do without: such as indoor plumbing, clean water, electricity, etc.
My best, Dick

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
A thumbs up for Starlink RV which we have just installed. Mounted in a modified fishing rod holder in a winch socket it was up and running in minutes with 100 mbs download speeds. Cost effective too.
Simon

Thanks Simon,

Not being satellite saavy, I have a silly question… I understand Starlink will work out at sea, but I’m not sure 🤔

For example, having just checked the Starlink web pages, their map only shows land as coverage…. I want to use it for a circumnavigation, but need help to understand its capabilities, especially with the speeds you quoted!

Would you be able to clarify or provide a Uk contact? I’m based on the Isle of Wight.

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Sonia
At the moment range is limited to the proximity of a ground station and I believe this is about 300 miles. Satellite to satellite laser communication by laser is not yet switched on but is said to be imminent. When that happens it will work mid ocean but no date has been announced.

Coverage is more widespread than the Starlink map suggests as they only add an area to the map when the service can be guaranteed. Plenty of folk are reporting good coverage in ‘uncovered’ areas.

At the moment it should be regarded as a good alternative for remote coastal cruising where cellphone data is patchy or non existent. For trans-Ocean, narrowband data then iIridium or SSB will be best.

One less known complication is that a unit must be used in the continent in which it was bought and the service address must be updated if spending more than 2 months in a different country. This is done simply on the website or App.

There is no contract for Service provision you just buy airtime by the month so it’s easy to pause. The cost varies considerably according to which county the service address is.

There is a Marine version designed for ocean crossing cruise liners but the cost is massive (us$5,000/month).

I have the RV version for use in the USA and coastal regions of Central America and it’s US$135/month (about the same as IridiumGO.

Simon

Sonia.Johal - 24 Oct 2022
Simon

Thanks Simon,

Not being satellite saavy, I have a silly question… I understand Starlink will work out at sea, but I’m not sure 🤔

For example, having just checked the Starlink web pages, their map only shows land as coverage…. I want to use it for a circumnavigation, but need help to understand its capabilities, especially with the speeds you quoted!

Would you be able to clarify or provide a Uk contact? I’m based on the Isle of Wight.

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Many thanks again Simon,

I guess as I’m still prepping my boat, it would make sense to review, after everything else is ready, especially as I already have my minimal communication via my satellite YB tracker.

As things stand the PredictWind IridiumGo sounds like the most appealing weather routing, but the PassageWeather with 1020 pressure bar routing is seems to be the most cost effective.

Would you be able to share your view on using the YB tracker comms to receive weather consultancy messages?

Grateful for your help and feedback,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Sonia,
I’m a great fan of the PredictWind/ IridiumGO combination which works brilliantly for weather, email and routing. We have used it for bringing in ice charts and satellite photos too. It also provides tracking and offshore AIS with their new data hub. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the Yellow Brick system and so I can’t make an accurate comparison.
Simon
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Many thanks again Simon,

Unless Starlink makes any substantial changes, I will go with my PredictWind option.

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Mel.Dillard
Mel.Dillard
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Simon Currin - 24 Oct 2022
Sonia
At the moment range is limited to the proximity of a ground station and I believe this is about 300 miles. Satellite to satellite laser communication by laser is not yet switched on but is said to be imminent. When that happens it will work mid ocean but no date has been announced.

Coverage is more widespread than the Starlink map suggests as they only add an area to the map when the service can be guaranteed. Plenty of folk are reporting good coverage in ‘uncovered’ areas.

At the moment it should be regarded as a good alternative for remote coastal cruising where cellphone data is patchy or non existent. For trans-Ocean, narrowband data then iIridium or SSB will be best.

One less known complication is that a unit must be used in the continent in which it was bought and the service address must be updated if spending more than 2 months in a different country. This is done simply on the website or App.

There is no contract for Service provision you just buy airtime by the month so it’s easy to pause. The cost varies considerably according to which county the service address is.

There is a Marine version designed for ocean crossing cruise liners but the cost is massive (us$5,000/month).

I have the RV version for use in the USA and coastal regions of Central America and it’s US$135/month (about the same as IridiumGO.

Simon

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Simon,
We have Starlink RV that we use in the US when we are actually in our RV!  But we are contemplating bringing it with us when we return to the Med.  Just mainly so we can have internet access wherever we are.  We have a SSB for crossing oceans.  Do you know if its possible to use in other countries besides your own?

Thanks - Mel
           s/v Talaria

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Mel
Starlink say that you have to use the device in the continent in which it was bought though I do know of a few that have had success both in Europe and the Americas. I guess it depends on whether they are enforcing the rules they have in place.
Simon
Mel.Dillard - 4 Dec 2022
Sonia

Simon

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Simon,
We have Starlink RV that we use in the US when we are actually in our RV!  But we are contemplating bringing it with us when we return to the Med.  Just mainly so we can have internet access wherever we are.  We have a SSB for crossing oceans.  Do you know if its possible to use in other countries besides your own?

Thanks - Mel
           s/v Talaria

Mel.Dillard
Mel.Dillard
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Simon Currin - 4 Dec 2022
Mel
Starlink say that you have to use the device in the continent in which it was bought though I do know of a few that have had success both in Europe and the Americas. I guess it depends on whether they are enforcing the rules they have in place.
Simon
Mel.Dillard - 4 Dec 2022
Sonia

Simon

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Best wishes,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Simon,

Thanks - Mel
           s/v Talaria

Thank you!  May give it a try.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search