Tystie

Author
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tystie has been in Hilo, Hawai 'i, for just over a week now - see http://my.yb.tl/tystie34/

Moving on up the chain of islands soon.
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
After a 22 day passage from Nawiliwili, Kaua 'i, Hawai 'i, Tystie is now in Kodiak, Alaska.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
[quote="David Tyler" post=977]After a 22 day passage from Nawiliwili, Kaua 'i, Hawai 'i, Tystie is now in Kodiak, Alaska.[/quote]

Well done David. Just how strong did those winds get a week ago?
David Tyler
David Tyler
[quote="simoncurrin" post=978][quote="David Tyler" post=977]After a 22 day passage from Nawiliwili, Kaua 'i, Hawai 'i, Tystie is now in Kodiak, Alaska.[/quote]

Well done David. Just how strong did those winds get a week ago?[/quote]

Actually, only to gale force, 35knots or so. The thing was, I 'd broken a batten, probably in a gybe, and although with junk rig you can just tie a broken batten to the one above or below it, thus taking a sail panel out of play, I felt vulnerable with a slightly damaged rig to winds above gale force, and wanted to make sure I knew what was coming and what my options were. It felt like it was brewing up for something more than a gale, but in the event, that didn 't happen, so all was well.
linandy
linandy
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Hi David
I 've just seen the photo of you and Fran in the 2013/1 Flying Fish. We are currently in Horta, considering our options for the rest of 2013 and 2014, and it looks as though we may be following you to Alaska!
Love and hugs
Linda and Andy XXX
David Tyler
David Tyler
Hi Linda and Andy,
Well, you might find a small problem there - America is in the way! I guess you 'll be coming through the Canal again.
I 'm now in Seldovia, and will be cruising along via the fiords of Kenai to Seward for the next few weeks. Then Prince William Sound, and then I 'll have to get across to SE Alaska and into Canada before the autumn weather gets too bad.
I 'm intending to over-winter somewhere in BC, but no firm plans yet.
Attachments
IMG_2030.JPG (279 views, 74.00 KB)
David Tyler
David Tyler
So here I am in Pelican, a very isolated little community on the Lisianski Inlet, where everything has to come in by float plane, and the cannery has closed down, so they are now relying on bringing in sport-fishermen for the salmon and halibut. So they 're struggling a bit to hold things together, and yet I feel that this is the way it has always been in Alaska - struggling against the odds to stay here, because you want to live here, because despite the difficulties, there are commensurate rewards.

And yet I can talk to anyone from here, via the internet, which I couldn 't have done a few years ago. Will this be the means of saving such isolated communities, by decreasing the sense of isolation? I hope so.

And by the way, I chose to stay clear of the "infamous" (it says in the pilot book) Rosie 's Bar - it was so full of tobacco smoke that I wouldn 't have enjoyed the beer I 'd been looking forward to.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
David, We have enjoyed watching your wanderings around Alaska on Yellow Brick. You must have had a great summer.
Simon
David Tyler
David Tyler
No complaints - but apparently this was an exceptional summer. I was very lucky to get four dry weeks together. No complaints except lack of wind, that is.

I 've just had two warm sunny days together, but I think I 'm going to get rain and fog tomorrow. There 's a definite feeling that summer is waning fast.
David Tyler
David Tyler
A highlight of the section between Prince William Sound and Cross Sound was being able to get into Lituya Bay, where La Perouse lost two boats full of men and erected a cenotaph on the central island - no longer there. There are standing waves on the ebb, and the narrow entrance must be taken at slack water. This is the site of the world 's largest wave, 1720 ft., when in 1958 an earthquake caused a whole mountainside to slide into the bay. Awesome. Have a look at Http://geology.com/records/biggest-tsunami.shtm. And there is still a lot of change in the bay. My up to date chart and pilot say that the two inlets at the head of the bay are shoaling. Understatement. They are completely blocked off by terminal moraines, with the glaciers close up behind them, acting as giant earth-moving machines. This is nature in the raw.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search