Sextant Expert For Calibration Certification Of Tamaya 1712

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SEXTANT EXPERT FOR CALIBRATION
CERTIFICATION OF TAMAYA 1712

Hello Team OCC,

Please would you recommend a “Sextant Expert” who is qualified to inspect and provide calibration certification?

My Google isn’t helping and I failed to find the relevant forum article.

I’m currently on the Isle of Wight, studying for my Yachtmaster Ocean and have purchased a Tamaya 1712.

Grateful for your input and advice.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 9 Nov 2022
SEXTANT EXPERT FOR CALIBRATION
CERTIFICATION OF TAMAYA 1712

Hello Team OCC,

Please would you recommend a “Sextant Expert” who is qualified to inspect and provide calibration certification?

My Google isn’t helping and I failed to find the relevant forum article.

I’m currently on the Isle of Wight, studying for my Yachtmaster Ocean and have purchased a Tamaya 1712.

Grateful for your input and advice.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Hi Sonia and all,
A friend of mine (also an OCC member) had sailed around the world twice navigating by sextant back when the world was without GPS. He taught sextant use, but had one condition: he wished his students to know how to develop a position for use only as a hobby and for use in an emergency. When more accurate methods of positioning were available, he considered it poor seamanship not to use the safest and most accurate method of establishing one’s position. As a hobby, he promoted it as one could compare one’s sextant position with a GPS derived position and the more practice, the better prepared for an emergency.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

Absolutely agreed about the extremely low chances of having to use a sextant. Especially, as I have so many electronic and battery powered GPS and satellite tracking devices onboard that are more accurate too.

However, over the years I have suffered a complete engine failure where the alternator also shorted out all onboard electrical appliances, including lights and made it impossible to recharge batteries.

It’s this particular breakdown that has motivated my sextant and RYA Celestial Navigation training course.

One particular bonus is that it’s great fun for me to get to know the night sky in much more detail…

Grateful for your input and support.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 10 Nov 2022
Thanks Dick,Absolutely agreed about the extremely low chances of having to use a sextant. Especially, as I have so many electronic and battery powered GPS and satellite tracking devices onboard that are more accurate too.However, over the years I have suffered a complete engine failure where the alternator also shorted out all onboard electrical appliances, including lights and made it impossible to recharge batteries.It’s this particular breakdown that has motivated my sextant and RYA Celestial Navigation training course.One particular bonus is that it’s great fun for me to get to know the night sky in much more detail…Grateful for your input and support.Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia, Agree: sextant use can be a very nice hobby with the ancilary, luckily very rare, benefit of being of service in a catastrophic GPS failure of somesort. It also is a wonderful way of wrapping your head around the movement of extra-terrestial bodies that enriched me as I used and practiced with my sextant. My best, Dick
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
A perfect fit for my impassioned hobby of sailing 🫡
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search