Epoxy thoughts and new product for hard to repair items

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
I have long been a fan of West System Epoxy and have used it for decades on projects big and small. Part of its appeal is that they have made it very easy to use and that there are detailed instructions on its use for a wide variety of projects one finds on boats.
But for small repairs and quick repairs, I generally turn to J-B Weld. West also does small packets, but I found them a bit wasteful (generally had epoxy left over), a bit messy, and expensive.
J-B Weld comes in small tubes making the amount used easy to judge. I eye-ball the amount to mix and it seems quite forgiving of any mis-judgement I might make in getting a 50-50 mix. I have used just the standard epoxy in quick set and in long set, but they also make a marine (never used) and, I think, a high temperature variety. I did a repair of a cracked weld on an engine heat exchanger on a vacation that I subsequently forgot about as it lasted as long as I owned the boat.
I have also recently learned that they make a J-B ExhaustWeld Wrap (for high temperature use) and a FiberWeld high strength fiberglass impregnated wrap that is activated by water.
Both might make for valuable additions in a trouble-shooting kit.
I have no experience with the last 2 items, but do experience J-B Weld as a good product/company and I know it as having a valued place for decades in my ability to deal with problems (along with duct tape and baling wire).
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Ps. I hope this is not only a US product.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search