Thoughts on weight in the anchor

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Sonia Johal - 28 Jan 2023
Thanks Dick,My anchor is the original Rocna, as opposed to the newer Vulcan recommends. I understand the G10 (100N/mm chain) will be lighter, and appreciate you know it to be enough, but I believe the G10 is also weaker. Also, to satisfy my insurance I must comply with Rocna’s G40 (400N/mm chain) recommendation for upto 50knots and also to benefit from the manufacturer’s warranty.I also feel some chandleries have stopped selling anything less than G40. For example, found this interesting information on the Jimmy Green website;Many thanks again and I hope this Jimmy Green table helps… Alternatively I also found another useful article link;https://www.elitesalesinc.com/tag/industrial-chain-grades/Wishing you all the best with your upcoming article and thanks for keeping us Associate newbies on our toes...Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
My apologies: senior moment.
G10 refers to fg sheeting. I should have written that the higher-level chain than G4 is Grade 70 (G70) which is both significantly lighter and stronger.. Chain for boats is well explained at: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchoring-mooring/making-sense-of-marine-chain-standards.
My best, Dick

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

I feel we all have them at all ages ☺️. I’m grateful for your article, especially as I subscribe and very much enjoy Practical Sailor magazine.

Unfortunately, I must comply with manufacturer’s guidelines for my insurance company and will be sticking with my G40. Although I will re-visit my anchor options…

Thanks again for your input.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 30 Jan 2023
Thanks Dick,I feel we all have them at all ages ☺️. I’m grateful for your article, especially as I subscribe and very much enjoy Practical Sailor magazine.Unfortunately, I must comply with manufacturer’s guidelines for my insurance company and will be sticking with my G40. Although I will re-visit my anchor options…Thanks again for your input.Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
Firstly, sticking with G4 chain is eminently seamanlike and is a very good (and very common) choice for many cruisers: I just mention grade 70 as way some experienced skippers have saved weight in the chain and put weight in the anchor. This enhances the effectiveness of their ground tackle system. As grade70 chain is more expensive and presents some challenges at retaining overall strength when choosing shackles to attach to the anchor, it is far from commonly seen (often solved by specifying the end links being over-sized). I am also thinking others are likely to read this stream and may wish to consider their options.
I have not heard of manufacturers giving guidelines that the insurance company (and boat owner) feels must be complied with. Is this common? What are other’s experiences in this area? My experience is that the insurance company wants periodic surveys and if the surveyor signs off saying the boat is fit for purpose, then that covers the Insurance Company and they stay away from the details.
It would not make me happy to hear manufacturers and/or ins co giving guidelines to skippers. I have not always been happy with decisions by either party. For example, look at the number of boats out there with stainless steel chain: I assume most or all of these boats are insured and many came with the chain from the manufacturers. And ss chain has a long history of rare but occasional catastrophic failure (crevice corrosion) (I believe the QC on ss chain has improved a good deal over the last years so that buying ss chain from a good source makes less likely problems).
And finally, from my perspective over the decades, I would consider properly installed grade 70 chain to be seamanlike (safe and effective) and in no way in need condemnation by manufacturers and or insurance companies.
As I have no personal experience with Grade 70 chain, I look forward to hearing other’s reports.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Ps. You report re-visiting anchor options: just a heads-up. There is accumulating evidence that the classic Rocna with the roll bar has an occasional bad habit of not re-setting in a wind shift or in tidal current changes in direction.

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

Please note it’s the G40 that has been recommended to me by the Rocna specifications, plus chandleries such as Jimmy Green also recommend G40 as their minimum recommended chain.

Plus, I may confirm that subject to manufacturer specifications compliance the Rocna anchor is deemed to be sufficient up to 50knots or F10 of wind.

I take onboard your caution, but my own experience has been very different with continuous live-aboard usage since 2016. With changing current directions and backing or veering winds exceeding F8, I have not yet experienced any drag, nor any twist or fowling. In fact the Rocna has yet to budge according to both my chart plotter and iPad.

As my journey has taken me from the Shetlands, Scotland Ireland and Wales to and around the Outer Hebrides, the Channel Islands and English South Coast on a frequent basis, I am fully satisfied with my original Rocna anchor’s holding.

Of all the articles read, I am yet to be convinced, as many refer to smaller vessels in shallow water.

Plus, I don’t intend to use my Rocna beyond its manufacturing specifications.

Grateful for your input and guidance.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Sonia Johal - 31 Jan 2023
Thanks Dick,Please note it’s the G40 that has been recommended to me by the Rocna specifications, plus chandleries such as Jimmy Green also recommend G40 as their minimum recommended chain.Plus, I may confirm that subject to manufacturer specifications compliance the Rocna anchor is deemed to be sufficient up to 50knots or F10 of wind.I take onboard your caution, but my own experience has been very different with continuous live-aboard usage since 2016. With changing current directions and backing or veering winds exceeding F8, I have not yet experienced any drag, nor any twist or fowling. In fact the Rocna has yet to budge according to both my chart plotter and iPad.As my journey has taken me from the Shetlands, Scotland Ireland and Wales to and around the Outer Hebrides, the Channel Islands and English South Coast on a frequent basis, I am fully satisfied with my original Rocna anchor’s holding. Of all the articles read, I am yet to be convinced, as many refer to smaller vessels in shallow water.Plus, I don’t intend to use my Rocna beyond its manufacturing specifications.Grateful for your input and guidance.Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
I am glad you have had good luck with your classic Rocna with a roll bar. It is a much better anchor than the old generation anchors such as the venerably CQR and Bruce anchors.
I probably would not have written this if I was writing to you alone as you seem to be happy with your choices, as should every skipper. But I know there are others who are reading this stream of postings. Every skipper should make up his/her mind about gear on their boat, especially mission critical gear. I respond to postings with the head-set that I wish every skipper be as fully informed as reasonable and I share my experience, thoughts, and observations with that in mind.
I am also very interested in the safety aspects of our recreation and tend to write more fully when the question involves safety.
So, in that vein, I will comment that the fact that the re-setting issue has not happened to you in your anchoring experience, does not mean the anchor does not have this bad habit: I did say it was occasional: certainly many, possibly most, times the anchor resets well. But when it does not, safety for the boat and crew may be compromised.
Skippers should do their own research and data collecting. On a personal level I know of 3 OCC members who have had their Rocna classic with a roll bar not reset after a wind shift. I will also point to this bad habit being also fairly well documented on google and by Practical Sailor, and Attainable Adventures cruising has also had a number of its commentators speak to this. There are also a superb collection of videos of many anchor’s performance done by sv Panope which shows the habit in their series on the re-setting of the Rocna Classic.
Google and you will find all these sources quickly come up and more.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search