Recommendations on where to leave boat from mid-July through Aug, 2023 in Western Med

Recommendations on where to leave boat from mid-July through Aug, 2023...
Author
Chris.Wuerker
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are planning our first trans-Atlantic leaving the Chesapeake (USA) in early May, 2023 for the Mediterranean.  We need to leave the boat in mid-July for about six week somewhere in the vicinity of Valencia / Barcelona, Spain or possibly the Balearics.  We are looking for any recommendations on a marina to leave the boat (44 foot catamaran).  We have contacted a few marinas but none of them are taking reservations this early.  Should we be worried?  How difficult is it to secure a long term mooring in that area in July?  Any and all advice appreciated.

Chris and Sarah
s/v Catalyst
Alexandria, VA
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Chris.Wuerker - 1 Mar 2023
We are planning our first trans-Atlantic leaving the Chesapeake (USA) in early May, 2023 for the Mediterranean.  We need to leave the boat in mid-July for about six week somewhere in the vicinity of Valencia / Barcelona, Spain or possibly the Balearics.  We are looking for any recommendations on a marina to leave the boat (44 foot catamaran).  We have contacted a few marinas but none of them are taking reservations this early.  Should we be worried?  How difficult is it to secure a long term mooring in that area in July?  Any and all advice appreciated.

Chris and Sarah
s/v Catalyst
Alexandria, VA

Hi Chris and Sarah,
Barcelona has marinas outside town center a bit which might accommodate (we over-wintered at Port Vell which I think is no longer an option): the outside marinas will be far less expensive and still have easy access to public transportation.
The Balearics would be expensive, I think, and present logistics challenges.
I also spent time in Lagos, Portugal which has a very safe well-run marina.
You might consider, for a 6-week leaving of the boat, getting a haul out. The boat might actually be safer and marinas might easily accommodate in this time when they are empty of boats. And the price may not be all that different.
Sopromar (in Lagos) has taken good care of us. And I am sure there are good boatyards mid-Med.
Come back with questions.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Daniel Coate
Daniel Coate
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
I agree with Dick. The marina in Lagos Portugal is very well run. Also, if you don’t make it to Barcelona or the Balearics, we really enjoyed our time in Alcaidesa Marina in La Línea de la Conception, Spain (just north of Gibraltar). They seemed to have plenty of space when we visited last August. It is an easy walk from Alcaidesa across the border to the Gibraltar airport to fly out (assuming you are going somewhere in the six weeks). I also agree with Dick that the Balearics are likely crowded and expense in July and August. Still, we found short-term slip space in the Balearics in high season last year without reservations just had to call around a bit (31’ monohull, probably not as many options with a cat). Good luck

Chris.Wuerker
Chris.Wuerker
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
T
Daniel Coate - 24 Mar 2023
I agree with Dick. The marina in Lagos Portugal is very well run. Also, if you don’t make it to Barcelona or the Balearics, we really enjoyed our time in Alcaidesa Marina in La Línea de la Conception, Spain (just north of Gibraltar). They seemed to have plenty of space when we visited last August. It is an easy walk from Alcaidesa across the border to the Gibraltar airport to fly out (assuming you are going somewhere in the six weeks). I also agree with Dick that the Balearics are likely crowded and expense in July and August. Still, we found short-term slip space in the Balearics in high season last year without reservations just had to call around a bit (31’ monohull, probably not as many options with a cat). Good luck

Thanks Daniel.  We ended up getting a reservation in Valencia.  The marina is far from town but sounds secure, well protected and less expensive.  But we may checkout Alcaidesa on our way in. 
Chris

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search