Hiring Importing Agent for a Vessel in Transit.

Author
Sash Spiegel
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone have experience hiring an important agent to import parts etc for a Vessel in Transit?  
We are purchasing a boat being built in France, and interested in hiring an Important Agent to help us :
Purchasing Parts: Solar, Electronics, Dingy, Safety gear etc in the US. and have a shipping container sent to France.
Goal:  To get the upgrades we want shipped without paying the VAT tax. We are under the impression since the boat is a "Vessel in Transit" , that all parts etc associated with the boats will not be subject to VAT as long as we get the boat out of the EU within 18 months.  
Any experience good , bad or ugly and any recommendations of a good important agent would be much appreciated.
Thank you kind souls!
Sasha
Charles.Lenhoff
Charles.Lenhoff
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Sash,

I may be in the same proverbial boat as you starting next year when we head to the Baltic and the the Med!!!

I'm teeing up a Schengen Visa appointment with the Finland embassy in LA in July and will discuss this issue of yachts in transit importing parts.

Will let you know if I fine out anything useful.

~Charles

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Charles.Lenhoff - 14 May 2023
Sash,

I may be in the same proverbial boat as you starting next year when we head to the Baltic and the the Med!!!

I'm teeing up a Schengen Visa appointment with the Finland embassy in LA in July and will discuss this issue of yachts in transit importing parts.

~Charles
Hi Charles,
Not quite sure what you are asking. Heading into the Baltic and heading into the Med are 2 quite different and widely separate cruising areas.
In either case, I would suspect you would be no different than a US flagged vessel and needing to pay attention to the Schengen visa requirements. In all our years in the EU we never heard of anyone saving VAT $$ by getting parts for a yacht in transit: it seemed to be something that was paid lip service, but in reality, not possible or at least without a great deal of paperwork: more than was worth it.
The closest we got to this was, after considerable expenses in the UK, we took the boat elsewhere, documented departure and being elsewhere, and after considerable time got a check for a refund. This also took a lot of paperwork.
Might be best to talk with other US or OZ or Kiwi flagged boats about how they are managing.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sash Spiegel
Sash Spiegel
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Dick - 15 May 2023
Charles.Lenhoff - 14 May 2023
Sash,

~Charles
Hi Charles,
Not quite sure what you are asking. Heading into the Baltic and heading into the Med are 2 quite different and widely separate cruising areas.
In either case, I would suspect you would be no different than a US flagged vessel and needing to pay attention to the Schengen visa requirements. In all our years in the EU we never heard of anyone saving VAT $$ by getting parts for a yacht in transit: it seemed to be something that was paid lip service, but in reality, not possible or at least without a great deal of paperwork: more than was worth it.
The closest we got to this was, after considerable expenses in the UK, we took the boat elsewhere, documented departure and being elsewhere, and after considerable time got a check for a refund. This also took a lot of paperwork.
Might be best to talk with other US or OZ or Kiwi flagged boats about how they are managing.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sash Spiegel
Sash Spiegel
Hi Dick,
I'm not sure if I have the right information, but we are planning on hiring a full container that we will pay for deliver from the US to France and have all items for the "mother ship inventory" with the list of items paid for in the U.S.
I have been told that if all items are for the "mothership inventory" then no VAT should be due. I hope to heck this is the correct information.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Sash Spiegel - 16 May 2023
Hi Dick,
I'm not sure if I have the right information, but we are planning on hiring a full container that we will pay for deliver from the US to France and have all items for the "mother ship inventory" with the list of items paid for in the U.S.
I have been told that if all items are for the "mothership inventory" then no VAT should be due. I hope to heck this is the correct information.

Hi Sasha,
I too, hope this works out the way you wish.
The closest I came to your plan is a piece of rod rigging I had made in the US and shipped to Israel which I believe I did not have to pay VAT (or the local equivalent) on. But it was a complicated process and I could have easily forgotten.
What kind of boat are you having built in France?
Let us know how this unfolds, if you would.
My best, Dick
Ps. The boat manufacturer might have methods for buying gear duty free.

Sash Spiegel
Sash Spiegel
Dick - 16 May 2023
Sash Spiegel - 16 May 2023
Hi Dick,

Hi Sasha,
I too, hope this works out the way you wish.
The closest I came to your plan is a piece of rod rigging I had made in the US and shipped to Israel which I believe I did not have to pay VAT (or the local equivalent) on. But it was a complicated process and I could have easily forgotten.
What kind of boat are you having built in France?
Let us know how this unfolds, if you would.
My best, Dick
Ps. The boat manufacturer might have methods for buying gear duty free.

Sash Spiegel
Sash Spiegel
HI Dick,
We're having a Ovni 370 being built in Les Sables d'Olonne. Manufacturers are not very helpful, but I think that most people don't bother with a full containerships full of gear unless it's a Mega Yacht. Since my husband is a contractor and used to race cars he's got a lot of the skills needed to do the commissioning that most new boat owners pay to have done by the manufacturer. Thanks for the heads up. I hope it works out. I won't know for sure until we get the container shipped to france and we pick up our stuff. Fingers crossed. 
Dick
Dick
Sash Spiegel - 17 May 2023
HI Dick,
We're having a Ovni 370 being built in Les Sables d'Olonne. Manufacturers are not very helpful, but I think that most people don't bother with a full containerships full of gear unless it's a Mega Yacht. Since my husband is a contractor and used to race cars he's got a lot of the skills needed to do the commissioning that most new boat owners pay to have done by the manufacturer. Thanks for the heads up. I hope it works out. I won't know for sure until we get the container shipped to france and we pick up our stuff. Fingers crossed. 

Sash, Fingers crossed. I am sure your Ovni will take good care of you as sisterships have taken good care of friends. What are your cruising plans once splashed (off line is fine if wished (Alchemy128(at) gmail.com). We spent 5-6 years in the Med and 5+ years in Northen Europe and loved our time on that side of the pond.
My best, Dick
Andy.Todd
Andy.Todd
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
It sounds like you're spending enough to warrant the cost and inconvenience. You're best talking to a marine lawyer first. The customs mechanism you're considering is called 'Inward Processing'. You might have to use two different customs procedures for the boat if you want to work on it in the EU. Here's a link.... https://yagrouplp.com/resources/inward-processing/
Nice boat!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search