Cruising in Turkey?

Author
Daniel Coate
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi. Does anyone have any recent information on cruising in Turkey? Our US flagged 10 meter yacht is in Tyrrhenian Italy and we’ll be sailing to Greece in May. For adventure, our Schengen shuffle, the boat’s VAT shuffle, and to be out of Greece for high season (Jul-Aug) we’re thinking about pushing through to Turkey for the summer months. 

However, we’ve heard it can be a bit dodgy there nowadays as compared to the past, given politics and migrants. Any news or thoughts?

Thanks so much, fair winds.
sv.the.dream
sv.the.dream
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Hi Daniel,
we have spent a reasonable amount in Turkey, in fact we left Turkey late March last year after having stayed for 1 year cruising the country.
(Previous to that we had stayed 3 months in 2020)

yes, things have changed throughout these years, mostly on the financial aspect of things. Inflation has been a problem for a while and prices have changed considerably however still more competitive than in Europe. Exception goes to marinas that are quite expensive even when compared to Europe but usually the service is also better. Provisioning is still very cheap and with amazing quality when it comes to fresh produce. Turkey in general is extremely friendly to tourist specially from Bodrum area to Kekova where yachting and associated services is a good source of the income for the towns etc.

unfortunately since Covid they have imposed the use of agents to check in and out pretty much everywhere and is now near impossible not to use them. Prices vary greatly from port to port.
I recommend Marmaris for arrival as they are very friendly there and used to deal with all sorts of situations, but most ports are equally friendly.
I have a small blog hobby where I write our experiences, mostly related with formalities it might interest you, I’ll leave you a link here for the one regarding Marmaris and the check in process there as it has details of where the Q dock is etc

absolutely loved Turkey 
https://www.svthedream.com/post/turkey-marmaris-checking-in-and-out

Daniel Coate
Daniel Coate
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
The Dream, Thanks so much! Very helpful. I saw in your blog post that you were also in Tunisa. How was that. I’m fascinated to see Carthage on our (eventual) sail out of the Mediterranean. Thanks again.
sv.the.dream
sv.the.dream
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Daniel Coate - 28 Apr 2023
The Dream, Thanks so much! Very helpful. I saw in your blog post that you were also in Tunisa. How was that. I’m fascinated to see Carthage on our (eventual) sail out of the Mediterranean. Thanks again.

Yes we have spent the equivalent to 1 year in Tunisia, split into 2 winters…. , the last one during Covid times. We absolutely loved Tunisia and felt super safe and now have a few friends that have been living there for decades both foreigners and locals. We focused our attentions more in the south - start wars film locations, berbere culture mind blowing! On our second winter we were going to focus on the north but Covid blew our plans (north is more about Roman ruins etc all amazing and without tourists).
Having said all that, Tunisia needs a big filter for poverty and pollution. Note that things have changed considerably with the new regime and the locals are suffering economical hurdles even more, so it really depends on how much stomach you have to endure and see through that immediate shock (we have friends that left the very next day after arriving because the shock was so big).
We would go back for sure even knowing how much things have changed. I have a small hobby youtube channel for friends that have a couple of the things we visited you might enjoy (no, it’s not Vagabonde style, it’s very amateurish for friends and family). One day I might have less laziness and write a bit more about that amazing country.

Daniel Coate
Daniel Coate
Very helpful and thanks! We’re in Italy now and focusing on Greece and probably Turkey this summer but will reach out when sailing westward with any additional questions on Tunisia. Thanks for the heads up on poverty and pollution. I lived in India for a year in the early 2000s so know what you mean. It’s hard to see but hard to ignore. Fair winds and following seas! 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search