G70 anchor chain

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Just thought I should update this thread. After all the research and comments I just bought 8mm x 100m of high tensile G70 chain along with a new gypsy. The chain comes with an over sized end link so the shackle should not be the weak point. Not sure I 've saved any weight though as I 'm so nervous about it we will probably still carry our old 10mm and 10mm gypsy but has dramatcally increased the length of chain we can carry in the anchor locker. Will report back how we get on next season.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Thanks Simon, we 're in the market for new chain, too, so we 'll be very interested to learn of your experience. How much chain do you have now? Also where did you buy your chain?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Daria,
Jimmy Green had an offer on though the price still makes me flinch. Add to that the new gipsy. The link is http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/19660/8mm-din766-aqua-7-calibrated-galvanised-chain--discount-lengths

We have upgraded primarily because we are hopefully heading to the Greenland Fjords in the next year or two where the bottom can be a long way down (like it was in Pig Bay). So I think we now have the following:

Bower 100m of g70 8mm on 45kg Manson
2nd anchor 60m of g40 10mm on 25kg Delta (which I hate)
Kedge 30m of g40 8mm on 20kg Bruce
And 50m of 16mm nylon spliced to 20m of 10mm chain

Only hope the boat still floats and I am sure we will lose a knot or two because of the above.

Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I know this is an old topic, but I will use this to suggest a way of thinking about choosing chain that flies in the face of some sailor 's common sense.
When it comes to choosing chain, I would suggest the only criteria be chain strength and not weight. I would go further and say that all observations of chain providing centenary effects and a better angle of attack (anchor to sea bottom) are entirely accurate for conditions where they are least important: Mild to moderate winds. When wind strength reach Near Gale forces or above, especially if sea state picks up, your chain is going to be frequently 2 blocked (bar tight link to link). It is then that your snubber and only your snubber will average out the forces and keep your anchor from being snatched from the bottom. As to the angle of attack anchor to sea bottom, scope is the primary determinant as in these more boisterous conditions, the chain will be regularly bar tight and dampening effects then will be provided by the snubber.
It is possible that you might delay the 2 blocking of the chain one force by going, say, from 8mm to 10mm chain, but in gale and storm conditions 2 blocking is inevitable and needs to be planned for.
So, I would suggest, buy chain for strength and take any extra weight and put it in an anchor, Spade or Rocna, where it will do far more good. Also be confident your snubber system is up to the task of averaging out forces.
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Dick,
I hope you are right as I just switched from 60m of 10mm to 100m of 8mm keeping the former as a second anchor. Did this in readiness for the deep fjords of Greenland next year. Just back from a super trip around the north of Iceland and have left the boat in a very secure winter Reykjavik berth. Certainly the logic of the longer, stronger chain is very persuasive.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Hi Simon,
Glad you had a great trip and a safe berth for your boat.
There is an easy way to confirm my observations. When next watching boats in breezes above 25-30kn watch the chain of the boats. At any reasonable scope, they will be close to 2 blocked fairly regularly. It gets worse quickly as the wind increases and especially if the seas become part of the load induced forces.
When 2 blocked the major contributing elements to keeping your boat attached to the bottom are anchor weight and design, length of scope and the averaging of forces capacity of your snubber. After that the strength of your weakest element is the next consideration. If there is a choice of where to put weight, put it in the anchor where it will do the most good and not in the chain where, in higher force winds, it will have a negligible effect.
Write back if you have a chance to observe the above and share your observations. (Or others if they wish.)
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Dick
Thank you for stating that so clearly and emphatically. We have written about the uselessness of kellets and the lack of dampening with chain on many occasions. Our personal observation is that our chain rode (100m 12mm chain) goes bar taut at about 40 knots. Plenty of scope so the anchor does not pull out and a long stretchy snubbber to take up the chock loads are vital.
Dick
Dick
Hi Alex, Agree completely. With regards to kellets/sentinels there is one reason to carry one. In squirrelly anchoring situations where you have 2 anchors out and one is primarily of nylon , I always use a kellet. This is not so much to decrease the angle of attack, anchor to sea bottom, but rather to keep the nylon rode from having the opportunity to foul on the keel, rudder or prop in these squirrelly situations.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
I agree with you here Dick. only the kellet need only weigh in at a pound or three - enough to keep the rope weighed down. We use this for any time we anchor with a rope rode in light air conditions, where the boat may swing around and over the rode.

Your 'normal ' kellet will weigh 30-40 pounds....

[quote="Dick" post=2317]Hi Alex, Agree completely. With regards to kellets/sentinels there is one reason to carry one. In squirrelly anchoring situations where you have 2 anchors out and one is primarily of nylon , I always use a kellet. This is not so much to decrease the angle of attack, anchor to sea bottom, but rather to keep the nylon rode from having the opportunity to foul on the keel, rudder or prop in these squirrelly situations.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy[/quote]
H Holden
H Holden
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Does anyone know a source of Calibrated G70 5/16in chain - 8mm is metric equivalent which we know doesn 't fit but with an old imperial gypsy which we can 't change we are searching for the imperial size to fit the gypsy on our old SL windlass? Maybe somewhere in USA even though we are currently UK based?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search