Canary Islands - Schengen Visa

Author
Voila
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are a non-EU boat and crew, currently travelling down the coast of France, Spain and Portugal. Unless we rush through we will be close to out of Schengen time  We can stop in Gibraltar or Morocco but that will leave it too late I would think - mid December. Does anyone have any recent experience with how Schengen time is applied in the Canary Islands? I realize they are part of Spain. We plan to investigate a visa extension when we get to Spain but if that does not work out I would like to know our options. Many thanks for any help you can extend.
sv.the.dream
sv.the.dream
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Voila - 4 Jul 2023
We are a non-EU boat and crew, currently travelling down the coast of France, Spain and Portugal. Unless we rush through we will be close to out of Schengen time  We can stop in Gibraltar or Morocco but that will leave it too late I would think - mid December. Does anyone have any recent experience with how Schengen time is applied in the Canary Islands? I realize they are part of Spain. We plan to investigate a visa extension when we get to Spain but if that does not work out I would like to know our options. Many thanks for any help you can extend.

The Canary Islands are part of Schengen and time is counted exactly like in the rest of the Schengen space. When we were in Las Palmas last year passports were being checked thoroughly by Immigration police at the marina and related anchorage, there was also frequent inspections by Customs.
December is not late for an Atlantic crossing at all, in fact you will most likely have fully established trade winds, the ARC leaves too early in the season in my option when trade winds can still be a bit fluky. Their goal is spending Xmas in the Caribbean or leave the boat already in the Caribbean and fly home for Xmas.
Check Jimmy Cornell data for better understanding of season crossings.
We crossed to Brazil from Cape Verde in the first week of January and the winds were quite good. Would have crossed this way until end of February easily, possibly even during March.
It depends more on where you want to spend Xmas and New Year. We did Morocco a few years ago and enjoyed it. Canaries also deserve a good period there.
Voila
Voila
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
sv.the.dream - 7 Jul 2023
Voila - 4 Jul 2023

The Canary Islands are part of Schengen and time is counted exactly like in the rest of the Schengen space. When we were in Las Palmas last year passports were being checked thoroughly by Immigration police at the marina and related anchorage, there was also frequent inspections by Customs.
December is not late for an Atlantic crossing at all, in fact you will most likely have fully established trade winds, the ARC leaves too early in the season in my option when trade winds can still be a bit fluky. Their goal is spending Xmas in the Caribbean or leave the boat already in the Caribbean and fly home for Xmas.
Check Jimmy Cornell data for better understanding of season crossings.
We crossed to Brazil from Cape Verde in the first week of January and the winds were quite good. Would have crossed this way until end of February easily, possibly even during March.
It depends more on where you want to spend Xmas and New Year. We did Morocco a few years ago and enjoyed it. Canaries also deserve a good period there.
Thank you so much for your reply. It was the information I needed. We will consider our options as we continue south.
Fair winds. Felicity

Nick.Newington
Nick.Newington
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
I have been told that in the Canary Islands one can request for the authorities to not stamp ones passport so long as one stays within 10 km of the port limits. I do not know if this is true, but it would make sense for yachties who are in transit preparing to voyage across the ocean.

Does anyone know if this is true or merely blind optimism.

Kind regards

Nick Newington
S/Y Amelia

Andy.Todd
Andy.Todd
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Nick.Newington - 17 Jul 2023
I have been told that in the Canary Islands one can request for the authorities to not stamp ones passport so long as one stays within 10 km of the port limits. I do not know if this is true, but it would make sense for yachties who are in transit preparing to voyage across the ocean.

Does anyone know if this is true or merely blind optimism.

Kind regards

Nick Newington
S/Y Amelia

This is true, but you need to know what you're doing. You can stay 'in transit' in Spain, Italy, Greece, France and Malta. These countries are signatories to the IMO's 1965 convention and have adopted the recommended practices that allow non-paid crew and passengers to stay in their waters without entering Schengen. Application is best done through a bonded agents to avoid any arguments with immigration control.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search