Potomac Woodrow Wilson Bridge

Author
les_coppens
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone
Can somebody tell me if the Woodrow Wilson Bridge opens to let a sailing cat pass? Our mast height stands at 75 feet (plus the antennas I assume) and I am really not confortable with this.
Thanks
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)
Group: Administrators
It looks like it’s supposed to open but folk have reported difficulty raising the controller on both vhf and phone - see below. Maybe call 703-836-2396 and see if you get a reply.

Simon

Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge
Last Updated: 27-JUL-2023
38°47.574'N, 77°02.243'W
Summary Edit
Bridge
Bridge phone: 703-836-2396 With the bridge in the closed position, the Federal Channel has a vertical clearance of 75 feet (MHW) at the Federal channel edges and 83 feet (MHW) at center channel from the bottom of the northernmost (upstream) steel girder. The navigation light posts hang down five feet from the bottom of the girders. These posts are offset 15 feet from the centerline of the Federal Channel. Rocks awash are on the western edge of the channel just southward of the bridge in 38°47'24''N., 77°02'23''W. Just south of the bridge starts a no wake zone (10 mph) that continues to the north end of Alexandria. As an alternative, vessels less than 80 feet in height can typically use the marked auxiliary channel, located just east of the federal navigation channel (80-foot vertical clearance, 130-foot horizontal clearance, and 22-foot water depth at MLW). For construction info see www.wilsonbridge.com
Contact Information Edit
Phone:
VHF Channel: 13
Email:
After Hours:
Navigation Edit
Depth (low water):
Tide:
Current: Unknown
Bridge Type: Moveable
Bridge closed height (at high water): 76.00 Feet
Restriction Notes:
The draw of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial (I-95) bridge between Alexandria, Virginia, and Oxon Hill, Maryland: (1) Shall open on signal at any time only for a vessel in distress. (2) Shall open for the passage of a commercial vessel at any time except: (i) Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays), 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. (ii) Saturday, Sunday, and Federal holidays, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. (3) Need not open for the passage of a commercial vessel unless: (i) The owner or operator of the vessel provides the bridge tender with an estimate of the approximate time of that passage at least 12 hours in advance at 703-836-2396; and (ii) The owner or operator of the vessel notifies the bridge tender at least 4 hours in advance of the requested time for that passage. (4) Shall open for the passage of a recreational vessel at any time except: (i) Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays), 5 a.m. to 12 midnight; (ii) Saturday, Sunday, and Federal holidays, 7 a.m. to 12 midnight; (iii) The bridge may open beginning at 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday, or a Federal holiday for the passage of a recreational vessel if the owner or operator of the vessel notifies the Bridge Tender of the time of that passage by not later than 12 hours before that time. (5) Need not open for the passage of a recreational vessel unless: (i) The owner or operator of the vessel provides the bridge tender with an estimate of the approximate time of the passage at least 12 hours in advance at 703-736-2396; and (ii) the owner or operator of the vessel notifies the bridge tender at least 4 hours in advance of the requested time for that passage. (6) A recreational vessel may pass through the drawspan at any time it is open for passage of a commercial vessel.
Comments (1)
Write Comment
It’s a tight squeeze!
Vote
18-SEP-2022
MoxieMate
We went through at low tide this morning and made it no problem. We are a catamaran with a 76’ mast. Don’t expect anything from the bridge tender. The phone number listed here was never answered (tried at least let a dozen times over the last three days). The number listed on the bridge itself was also never answered. Also no reply on VHF 16 or 67. That said, we made it through with plenty of room to spare. We were pretty nervous though!

les_coppens - 6 Sep 2023
Hi everyone
Can somebody tell me if the Woodrow Wilson Bridge opens to let a sailing cat pass? Our mast height stands at 75 feet (plus the antennas I assume) and I am really not confortable with this.
Thanks

les_coppens
les_coppens
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Simon,
This is a tough one. I might simply cancel albeit regrettably.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)Forum Expert (616 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I would ask the port officer for Washington - Scott Berg.
Simon
les_coppens - 6 Sep 2023
Thanks Simon,
This is a tough one. I might simply cancel albeit regrettably.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search