getting weight out of the bow

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
In another venue, I saw the math and was reminded of how important it is to keep weight out of the ends of our boats (and from up high): for boat speed, comfort, and safety among other considerations. Sailboats tend to worry about this more, but it is also important for power vessels.
Weight in the bow is always a concern. Below is a suggestion:
It is not possible for every boat, but Alchemy, a Valiant, at 40 feet, has nice sized limber holes and a deep bilge. I was able to lay PVC pipe/conduit, just large enough to accommodate 5/16 g4, along the crotch of the hull from the anchor well to a mid-ships bilge. The conduit is to provide a protected channel for the chain to travel while still allowing “stuff” to be stored around and on top of the conduit. Coastal cruising, 100 feet or so of chain stays in the locker at the bow: usually enough for most anchoring, while 200 feet stay in the mid-ships bilge. The extra chain is able to be pulled out easily if needed from the bow along the conduit.
Passage making, space wise, I can pull all but about 40 feet back to the bilge and the 77-pound Spade stays on the bow well secured, but easily available at passage end as is the chain.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search