Hauling out facilities in the Azores

Author
owenp
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear forum members

we are contemplating a sail to azores from ireland next year and then possibly leaving the boat in the azores for the winter, on the hard.
anyone done this before and any suggestions?I think Praia di Vittoria on Terceira may be the best option but would be good to know of any alternatives.
if you have any contact names etc and indication of winter prices that would be great.

all the best

Peter Owens
Galway

jim.rosbe
jim.rosbe
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
We had our boat hauled out at Angra do Heroismo for the winter 2016-2017 and were very satisfied overall with the travelift, jack stands rental, etc.  We did our own work on the boat, and found local service providers for engine maintenance, etc.  We contracted with Alexandre of Sailtours.pt at Angra to look after the boat for us while away for 11 months.  Angra as a town has a lot more to offer than Praia.  
We heard from another boat that after a winter stored at Praia di Vittoria they had to replace their windows/portlights due to being sandblasted by winds blowing beach sand at the boat but I don't know if their experience was unusual.

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
jim.rosbe - 20 Sep 2023
We had our boat hauled out at Angra do Heroismo for the winter 2016-2017 and were very satisfied overall with the travelift, jack stands rental, etc.  We did our own work on the boat, and found local service providers for engine maintenance, etc.  We contracted with Alexandre of Sailtours.pt at Angra to look after the boat for us while away for 11 months.  Angra as a town has a lot more to offer than Praia.  
We heard from another boat that after a winter stored at Praia di Vittoria they had to replace their windows/portlights due to being sandblasted by winds blowing beach sand at the boat but I don't know if their experience was unusual.

Hi Peter, Started to answer, but realize I may be able to get someone better to do so. Dick
Mike.Evans
Mike.Evans
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Hello,
We over wintered our Najad 40 at Praia da Vitória 2021/22 and then sailed to Ireland!
Yes Praia is good, blowing sand is an issue and you must seal up your boat well!
If you are interested and would like to try to book I would suggest to contact “Mr Pedro” he owns the local marine store, rents jack stands and knows Mr Paulo who manages Praia Marina.

Pedro Parreira
PARREIRA azor
Atalaia, 29 - Ribeirinha, 9700-416 Angra do Heroísmo
Ilha Terceira • Açores • Portugal
Tel.: +351 295 40 12 80 • Tlm.: +351 912 355 308 • Email: pedro.parreira@parreiraazor.com
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Peter

We overwintered in the water at Horta in 2002 with no issues.

Simon
owenp - 20 Sep 2023
Dear forum members

we are contemplating a sail to azores from ireland next year and then possibly leaving the boat in the azores for the winter, on the hard.
anyone done this before and any suggestions?I think Praia di Vittoria on Terceira may be the best option but would be good to know of any alternatives.
if you have any contact names etc and indication of winter prices that would be great.

all the best

Peter Owens
Galway

martintsmith@aol.com
martintsmith@aol.com
Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)
owenp - 20 Sep 2023
Dear forum members

all the best

Peter Owens
Galway
Hi Peter
I wintered my boat ashore on Santa Maria last year which worked out fine for me. The Nautibotelho yard has chandlery and workshop and they did a good job varnishing my floorboards.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search