North America - USA immigration and CBP

Author
Steve.Bradley
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I’m would be interested in hearing about recent experiences entering the USA, in particular from anyone applying for a VISA at the CBP port of entry … we are planning to transit into the USA from Canada following a North Atlantic crossing this summer, then intention then being to sail south along the eastern seaboard towards South America.  My recent enquiry to the US immigration tells me we need B1/2 visas, and that there is a long wait to get an interview for these, but also advises I can contact the CBP to enquire about local procedures nearer the time, it also tells me that I would be granted a 1 year licence.. so I imagine I’ve we return to north America 
following our time in the south, that we will have to repeat the process if it’s outside the 1 year licence 

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Steve.Bradley - 8 Jan 2024
I’m would be interested in hearing about recent experiences entering the USA, in particular from anyone applying for a VISA at the CBP port of entry … we are planning to transit into the USA from Canada following a North Atlantic crossing this summer, then intention then being to sail south along the eastern seaboard towards South America.  My recent enquiry to the US immigration tells me we need B1/2 visas, and that there is a long wait to get an interview for these, but also advises I can contact the CBP to enquire about local procedures nearer the time, it also tells me that I would be granted a 1 year licence.. so I imagine I’ve we return to north America 
following our time in the south, that we will have to repeat the process if it’s outside the 1 year licence 

Hi Steve,
Afraid I am not helpful on the asked question, but curious of the planned route to get to Canada. I have been part of a group that has written the newly published “CCA Passage Guide to the Viking Route”.
In 2017 we returned to North America: Scotland to the Faroes to Iceland to Greenland and fetching up in Newfoundland taking the whole season so we could spend time in those wonderful destinations.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Steve,
We entered the States from Canada at Eastport, Maine in June 2022 so a little out of date. We certainly needed a B2 visa as UK citizens and I have not heard that that requirement has been abandoned. We were given a 1 year cruising permit in Eastport and all subsequent port arrivals were reported through the ROAM App.

Simon

Steve.Bradley - 8 Jan 2024

Andy.Todd
Andy.Todd
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
You need a B1/B2 visa. If you apply there is a chance you won't need an interview. There's a 2 month(ish) waiting list to stand in line for 4 hours for 2 x's 2 minute interviews. You will need one if there's anything untoward about your travel behaviour. We were call up because, somehow they knew, we'd been to Cuba 15 years ago!! WTF. The B1/B2 is valid for 10 years. You need to surrender your passport which is returned with a visa page pasted into it. Every time you arrive in the US you visit immigration, They put a stamp in your passport and tell you how long you can stay. Usually 6 months. You can leave and return as many times as you like during the 10 years, but they won't tell you how long you have to be out before you can come back.

Steve.Bradley
Steve.Bradley
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Thanks for all the comments.. all very useful information, we have now submitted our BI/B2 non immigrant visa applications in our respective countries. The earliest time to get an appointment in the UK was115 days out.. but I successfully had this expedited on the grounds that it could delay my travel plans for a year and was offered one in a matter of days.. In Denmark the earliest appointment was only 20 days out.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search