Anchor use in close quarter maneuvering

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
The Baltimore Bridge disaster (in the US a cargo ship hit a bridge collapsing it with deaths ensuing) brings to mind a habit worth mentioning.
I suspect that, if the moment they knew there was trouble, they had let their anchor drop, it might have changed the outcome. That is just a guess. It sounds like the Cap’t/Pilot waited before doing so: again, I am reading between the lines. In any case, this is a lead-in to say that, when I am entering a port or marina, I am always aware of the anchor being available for emergencies and for close quarters maneuvering: especially when there is a potent wind from behind.
To that end, the anchor should be ready to go quickly. On Alchemy, I can release my anchor with a few seconds knot untying. A quicker response is to cut the restraining rope with the knife always strapped to the bow. Then remove the windlass cover, release the brake and push the anchor over letting her run free. Luckily this takes less time than writing the method.
If concerned ahead of time, it is wise to just have the anchor dangling: it is easy to get back when tied up.
And the anchor is not used as an anchor generally, more as a drag weight.
An example:
We were going into a friend’s home in Fort Lauderdale and following directions to their canal, never having been in the area before. What was just a gentle breeze in the more open water was far more potent when squeezed down the canal we turned into which, of course, was lined with docks with many beautiful and expensive boats close-ish on each side. Before knowing it we blew past our friend’s dock and were heading to the bridge at the canal’s end.
Even backing and filling hard, I suspected we would not have the room to make the turn and getting broadside to the wind with nice boats docked on either side and the bridge downwind was not appealing. Backing out, while possible, was not a feat I looked forward to attempting: in hindsight with the wind aft, it might have been easier than anticipated. Luckily, we were still a few hundred yards from the bridge and had a bit of time.
Mid-channel we dropped the anchor till it kissed the bottom. Immediately Alchemy pivoted around its bow and almost miraculously her bow was into the wind and we could retrieve the anchor to dangling position and motor under complete control into the wind to our friend’s dock. The whole maneuver took seconds.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
An aside: This was done from “book knowledge”: reading about the use of anchors in this manner and adding it to the store of knowledge. I am self-taught in this sailing/cruising realm and relied greatly on the many books I absorbed. I worry that far too few of the younger sailors I encounter here and there or, in read their writing, are reading the classics of our recreation and are getting their information and inspiration primarily from U-Tube.
I consider this a shame as there is much fabulous writing in the cruising/sailing library where there is much to learn and be inspired by. For me, books leave room for imaginative contemplation and scene playing in one’s head that does not occur, or occur so naturally, when one is watching a demonstration. Reading stimulates imagining yourself into the book, watching video is more like being spoon-fed recipes. Not to mention the time-sink of video vs reading when learning. There are times when a picture is worth a thousand words, but those times are relatively rare when compared to well written instruction.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search