LOSS of Arcona 460 in the Pacific

Author
captmarklp
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I wish I had more money to send these folks !!  I, sadly and probably very inconveniently, want to know more about their vessel and its maintenance as I see from the online specs of the vessel that it may have had a Jefa rudder system -- which is a wonderful product but for when an errant swipe of copper antifouling goes onto the aluminum shaft.  I have managed a boat for more than a decade with this brand of rudder system and it is great and admirable quality yet I do what is suggested -- I drop the rudder out of the boat annually to inspect.  I do this without fail as the 1st time I dropped it, I found significant erosion of the rudder shaft in the section above the lower bearing but would be commonly wet when the boat moves.  The rudder fits tightly to the hull and there's a temptation to antifoul it right to the very top.  As a caution, I have painted out a "no go" area around the shaft's entry hole and with a no copper/no metal product.  I feel like a jerk asking for detail because the boat was completely lost for the rudder doing harm to boat's integrity.  
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
captmarklp - 24 Apr 2024
I wish I had more money to send these folks !!  I, sadly and probably very inconveniently, want to know more about their vessel and its maintenance as I see from the online specs of the vessel that it may have had a Jefa rudder system -- which is a wonderful product but for when an errant swipe of copper antifouling goes onto the aluminum shaft.  I have managed a boat for more than a decade with this brand of rudder system and it is great and admirable quality yet I do what is suggested -- I drop the rudder out of the boat annually to inspect.  I do this without fail as the 1st time I dropped it, I found significant erosion of the rudder shaft in the section above the lower bearing but would be commonly wet when the boat moves.  The rudder fits tightly to the hull and there's a temptation to antifoul it right to the very top.  As a caution, I have painted out a "no go" area around the shaft's entry hole and with a no copper/no metal product.  I feel like a jerk asking for detail because the boat was completely lost for the rudder doing harm to boat's integrity.  

More for those interested. Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/arcona-460-sinking-prompts-investigation-by-arcona-yachts-85886
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dick,
I’m not sure if you have seen the video of the rudder stock failure but it shows a broken aluminium shaft immediately below the steering quadrant inside the lazarette. I can dig out the video if you haven’t seen it.
Simon

captmarklp - 24 Apr 2024

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search