Steering when rudder control is lost

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)Forum Expert (941 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
For too many years, losing the rudder control meant it was likely that you will lose the boat. Years ago, there was research that impressed me using a Galerider drogue and Alchemy already carried one and I determined that I carried on board the rest of the requisite equipment to use it for emergency steering. (I also carried a Jordan Series drogue for a high latitude NA crossing.)
The Storm Trysail Club, a well-respected organization promoting ocean racing and cruising, has put out a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNCCJoGLvws&t=70s) showing the use of a Galerider Drogue which was developed by sailmakers/riggers Hathaway Reiser & Raymond, now out of business, but, I believe, the GR can still be purchased at Landfall Navigation in the US.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Thanks goes to George Day at Cruising Compass for bring this to my attention.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Dick - 11 Jul 2024

Login

Search