Baltic 2013

Author
Williwaw
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Will any other members be in the Baltic this summer? I have been in those waters since 2006. Williwaw (a Rival 34) is now wintering in Denmark at Nykøbing (Sjælland) and will be heading back into the Baltic. Certainly I shall visit Bornholm, if only to connect with my outbound track from the UK seven years ago and thus complete a circumnavigation of the Nordic region. In 2011 I sailed through Russian inland waters from St Petersburg to the White Sea and Archangelsk, entering Norway at Kirkenes and wintering at Harstad. Last summer saw a 1600M passage south to Denmark. This summer I shall wander north again to Finland.
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Toodle-oo! is planning to attend the OCC 's Baltic in 2014 as advertised on the home page of this website.

Anyone else going?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
After the OCC Baltic Rally we 're looking to move west towards France. Not sure of the best places to go - wondering if anyone has any input to the following schedule:

Stockholm: Depart July 30
Bonholm: Arr Aug 3 - Stay 2 days
Kiel: Arr Aug 7 - Transit canal
Amersterdam: Arr Aug 15 Stay 10 days
Dieppe: Arr Aug 26, Stay 10 days
Channel Islands: Arr Sept 8 Stay 10 days
Brittany: Arr Sept 19, stay 5 days
La Rochelle: Arr Sept 26 Stay 10 days.

Is La Rochelle a good spot to leave a boat for the winter?
(Have to go back to work in the US :-( )

Thanks for any and all input!

We 're just looking for a basic plan - no worries - we never actually follow the plan!!!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Bill,
Feels a bit like you are rushing through the best bit of the Baltic. The Stockholm Archipelago is stunning and you will be there in high summer so I 'd meander south at a much slower rate and speed up when you are back in to the North Sea. A lovely alternative to the Kiel Canal is the Lim fjord which bisects Denmark. My guess is you are going to the Baltic via Norway which is great but I 'd definitely plan to spend some time on the West Coast of Sweden (north of Gothenburg) which is also stunning.
Simon
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Thanks Simon...

We 'll be on the OCC cruise for 8 weeks in the Baltic - hopefully that 's not rushing things too much. We 're thinking we want more time to enjoy the northern German and French coasts - hence the rush from Stockholm to Kiel - but now wondering if there 's all that much to see between Amsterdam and the Channel Islands? Maybe we should linger longer in the Baltic?

What sort of weather can we expect in the Baltic. (I guess more importantly what sort of weather should we expect in the North Sea - heading over in early June from Scotland and then going west in it from the Baltic to Northern France?)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Except that the Swedish Baltic coastline is much more attractive than the Coasts of Poland, Latvia etc.
Simon
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Has anyone traveled through the Gota and Trollhätte canal?
Interesting/Boring? Recommend/Avoid?

How long does it take coast to coast?

Thanks.

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

davidtunick
davidtunick
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
We went through about ten years ago. The Swedes call it "Divorce Ditch" because of the stress it can produce on board. My boat at 55 ', 22 ton, was a little too much to handle in the locks, many of which have jagged outcropping of rock along the walls and an almost violent incursion of water flow in and out, requiring all hands full time in every lock. We were six aboard. The smaller boats did not have the same difficulties. Our problem was compounded by going through after the season was officially over, which meant some of the bridges were tended remotely. One closed on us. The bridge tender admitted guilt and apologized - he had turned away from his screen in favor of a young lady - but that did not help the repair bill. After that I always took the trip around the bottom of Sweden - easier and faster. As pleasant as the views were in the canal, in my view it was much of the same after awhile. I hasten to say that friends have loved the canal.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search