Seamanship: Lessons from three accidents

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
This is an excellent analysis of three separate boating accidents by Evans Starzinger. Offers suggestions on future avoidance and mitigation of risks.

It is a pdf download of a PowerPoint document.

https://liveicomgrshot.blob.core.windows.net/occfiles/Archive/images/CruisingInfo/Seamanship/seamanship.pdf

Vice Commodore, OCC 
jgbailey (Past OCC Member)
jgbailey
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Cant get the download to work?
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Sorry about that. Don 't know why it didn 't work but I 've put in the full link, so it should be okay now.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Daria,
I am familiar with the 3 incidents and enjoyed all the wonderful graphics, but what I found seemed to be more the graphics for a good lecture. Am I missing something?
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
It is a PowerPoint presentation created by Evans Starzinger who consults US Sailing, CCA and others about safety at sea issues. The salient points are all in the document. Feel free to add your comments and analysis here, as I am sure your insights would be most valuable.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Daria,
I very much suspect (hope even) that Evans meant this to be an illustration (overhead projector like) for a lecture talk on safety issues. If that is correct, then attempts can be made to procure the text and include it with the power point presentation that you gave us the url for. If not, I would wish this presentation to be considered to be removed from the OCC site. Not only did I find the bullet type presentation of points and graphs and weather data confusing, but I have a problem with safety at sea matters being presented in such a context free manner. On boats, safety considerations and procedures should (to my mind) always be embedded in an overall rational that includes many variables. When presented so nakedly, it evolves into prescription/rules which undermines the development of overall seamanship.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search