Snubbers

Author
RainAgain
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Well I found the forum and this is really an experiment to see if I can work out how to press the buttons but I have to post something so I thought I would ask about snubbers.

I had always thought that snubbers were to take the snatch out of your anchor cable and since mine is all chain cable should read chain. Since stretch was important and ultimately my boat is anchored by chain made off properly to a samson post and not riding on the windlass I tended to use light stretch nylon line until last november that is. At the end of last year I took a short trip from Lagos to Gib and found myself anchoring in some really foul weather. We had over 50knots for many hours with the storms extended over several days. I broke four snubbing lines during this time - all of them at the rolling hitch on the chain. The lines were 18mm. I use a rolling hitch because a chain hook just looks all wrong to me placing a point load on an individual link in the chain but I am very willing to listen.

Any comments?

Ta, Mark
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Senior moment. Last sentence in previous comment should read "smaller" rather than "larger". In fact I used 3/8 inch for years and moved up as I thought it too springy. Dick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search