Oversize Anchor Shackle

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone used these Gunnebo Chain Couplers?

I purchased my new Maggi chain (5/16" heat treated) with one on each end - had to cut one off since it wouldn't fit down the hawser - let alone feed in the windlass!
They look exceedingly robust - significantly stronger (I hope) than a standard shackle - always the weak link in the rode - but I wonder if anyone has any opinions/experience with them?

They are held together with a pair of coiled spring pins (I ended up mousing them just to be sure) - is this a weakness?

Appreciate any thoughts...

(This is the extra one - pins partially pushed out - was trying to see how easy they come out - NOT easily!)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes Bill we have been using one for 5 years and agree with your observations.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon Currin - 6/20/2019
Yes Bill we have been using one for 5 years and agree with your observations.

Hi Bill,
I suspect that the shackles you pictured will do the job, but in general, I shy away from equipment that I consider untested by multiple cruisers over long periods of time, especially for critical areas such as ground tackle. I do not like to be doing R&D with my boat.
In the US, I would also suggest that you are not solving a problem as Crosby shackles do the job and are stronger than G40 chain and so, do not introduce a weak link. I am not sure what the equivalent shackle might be in the EU/UK.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search