What's this??

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can anyone assist with this? We sailed up to the Shetlands a couple of days ago and while down below, Laurie heard something drop on the deck. A couple of days later and we found this... Any idea what it is? It was at the base of the mast on which I have some Lewmar clutches, winches & cleats and then the normal standing rigging one would expect.

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Bill Balme - 6/23/2019
Can anyone assist with this? We sailed up to the Shetlands a couple of days ago and while down below, Laurie heard something drop on the deck. A couple of days later and we found this... Any idea what it is? It was at the base of the mast on which I have some Lewmar clutches, winches & cleats and then the normal standing rigging one would expect.

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Bill Balme - 6/23/2019

Hi Bill,
Looks like a roller bearing to me. I do not remember indents on the end, though. My winches have dozens of these held in place by a plastic collar/sleeve that allows them to roll freely over the solid metal insert of a gear or a shaft. One of my large foot blocks have the same as do some larger turning blocks, usually high-end. I am less familiar with some slippery mainsail track cars (Harken?) which may glide over rollers.
I can’t think what might be high up on the mast, but I would look around with binocs if nothing else if all else fails and see if something comes to mind.
Let us know what you discover.
Good luck, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
I've been up to the top of the mast checking everything - can't find a thing missing.

I don't think it's a roller bearing - as it's stainless and I think all of mine are some kind of plastic or ceramic.

Someone must have a clue!

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Bill Balme - 6/28/2019
I've been up to the top of the mast checking everything - can't find a thing missing.

I don't think it's a roller bearing - as it's stainless and I think all of mine are some kind of plastic or ceramic.

Someone must have a clue!

Hi Bill,
Interesting. I believe the roller bearings on Alchemy are all stainless.
The search continues.
I would send the pic to a rigger.
Let us know what you find out.
My best, Dick
David Tyler
David Tyler
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Pins with grooves like this generally have circlips to secure them. I don't think you'll find pins that small in your winches, blocks and standing rigging; I suspect that it comes from a Lewmar clutch: the dominos must each have such a pin at their fixed end.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search