Reporting position by Email

Author
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have now been trying to get our boats position in to the OCC Fleet Map since well over a year but am obviously incapable.
I have been trying to send the position to Marine traffic via email as described at
https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en-us/articles/205327427-Report-My-Position-Through-Email but it has never worked.
Now I have tried using the onCourse App but also with no obvious results.

Could some one who has managed to send their position by email maybe help. It really does not look difficult. But the map has us in Panama and we are in Tahiti.

Thank you
Neill
www.buruwang.org
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Neil
Yes I would be happy to help as I have succeeded with both in the past.

If you show me a copy of your reporting email that would be a good start. One common error is to send from an email account which is not the one registered with your email MarineTraffic account.

Simon
Neill.Hogarth - 12 Mar 2021
I have now been trying to get our boats position in to the OCC Fleet Map since well over a year but am obviously incapable.
I have been trying to send the position to Marine traffic via email as described at
https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en-us/articles/205327427-Report-My-Position-Through-Email but it has never worked.
Now I have tried using the onCourse App but also with no obvious results.

Could some one who has managed to send their position by email maybe help. It really does not look difficult. But the map has us in Panama and we are in Tahiti.

Thank you
Neill
www.buruwang.org

Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Thank you for the offer Simon,

I checked and I am sending the report from my gmail address and that is also the address that I log in to Marinetraffic with.

This is the body of the email that I sent:
MMSI=235093969
LAT=-149.2
LON=-17.485
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=0
TIMESTAMP=2021-03-12 23:30

Despite sending this, and similar, emails we never seem to leave Port Linton in Panama. 

I read at the bottom of the Marinetraffic help page that you should tell them if you want to send email position reports. I have therefore now done that. Maybe this will help.

Still living in hope
Neill
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Neil
Yes you do have to warn MarineTraffic that you will be reporting by email. I just generated a new report for our boat (Shimshal) using the reporting function on the OCC App and I see the position has updated. Below is the report I sent:

MMSI=235027206
LAT= 44.45718
LON= -64.31643
SPEED=0
COURSE=0
TIMESTAMP=2021-03-13 08:01

Simon

Neill.Hogarth - 12 Mar 2021
Thank you for the offer Simon,

I checked and I am sending the report from my gmail address and that is also the address that I log in to Marinetraffic with.

This is the body of the email that I sent:
MMSI=235093969
LAT=-149.2
LON=-17.485
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=0

Despite sending this, and similar, emails we never seem to leave Port Linton in Panama. 

I read at the bottom of the Marinetraffic help page that you should tell them if you want to send email position reports. I have therefore now done that. Maybe this will help.

Still living in hope
Neill

Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
I contacted Marine Traffic via their online contact formular. I sent them the following message:
---------------------------------------------
On your page about sending position via email, you asked that I contact you.
MMSI number of your vessel: 235093969
the email address of the sender: xxx@gmail.com
a sample of your position report:
MMSI=235093969
LAT=-149.5
LON=-17.5
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=0

Yesterday I received the following reply
Thank you for contacting MarineTraffic Support.
Kindly allow me to clarify that the positional reports need to be emailed to report@marinetraffic.com, as instructed in the respective article:
Report My Position Through Email
I remain at your disposal if you have any questions.
Kind regards,

There is no mention whether they "added us" to their system but it doesn't sound like it.

I just sent a new position email.
I sent it to report@marinetraffic.com
I sent it from my registered address
I copied your mail and changed the relevant data so that the result was as follows
MMSI=235093969
LAT= -149.5
LON= -17.5
SPEED=0
COURSE=0
TIMESTAMP=2021-03-16 17:20

And Artemis is no nearer Tahiti. The system still has us in Port Phaeton.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5862370/mmsi:235093969/imo:0/vessel:ARTEMIS_OF_LLEYN/_:9e857d89f3fe81a987169d1facfe8363

Slowly but surely I am getting frustrated. What am I doing different to you Simon?
Thank you
Neill

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Neil
Your position report looks perfect to me. I see the last position report for Artemis was a self report so MarineTraffic must have you on their self reporting database. Unfortunately I haven’t a clue why your position isn’t updating I am afraid.

My position update at the weekend caused some consternation for our Port Officer in Nova Scotia who emailed me to say our boat was was ashore and a few hundred yards from his house. It appeared I had mis-keyed one of the digits and our eagle eyed PO had spotted the unexpected movement. Wry smiles all around!

I’m really sorry it’s not working for you and even more puzzled that the OnCourse App is also failing. I presume the account registered with OnCourse uses the same email address as your boats MarineTraffic account? Was the Panama self report via email or using OnCourse?

Simon

Neill.Hogarth - 16 Mar 2021
I contacted Marine Traffic via their online contact formular. I sent them the following message:
On your page about sending position via email, you asked that I contact you.
MMSI number of your vessel: 235093969
the email address of the sender: xxx@gmail.com
a sample of your position report:
MMSI=235093969
LAT=-149.5
LON=-17.5
SPEED=0.0
COURSE=0

Yesterday I received the following reply
Thank you for contacting MarineTraffic Support.
Kindly allow me to clarify that the positional reports need to be emailed to report@marinetraffic.com, as instructed in the respective article:
Report My Position Through Email
I remain at your disposal if you have any questions.
Kind regards,

There is no mention whether they "added us" to their system but it doesn't sound like it.

I just sent a new position email.
I sent it to report@marinetraffic.com
I sent it from my registered address
I copied your mail and changed the relevant data so that the result was as follows
MMSI=235093969
LAT= -149.5
LON= -17.5
SPEED=0
COURSE=0
TIMESTAMP=2021-03-16 17:20

And Artemis is no nearer Tahiti. The system still has us in Port Phaeton.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5862370/mmsi:235093969/imo:0/vessel:ARTEMIS_OF_LLEYN/_:9e857d89f3fe81a987169d1facfe8363

Slowly but surely I am getting frustrated. What am I doing different to you Simon?
Thank you
Neill

Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
New information received from Marine Traffic.
There system requires me to regularly report my position every 15 minutes or so for maybe a few days. The reports need to show the vessel moving and be "realistic".
My problem is that when I am sailing I am out of email contact.
So it looks like I need to generate a "virtual voyage" and set up my email program to send "virtual positions" every 15 minutes.

Life should not be this difficult. And it also raises the question why you Simon can fire off one position a continent away and be believed.
Thank you
Neill
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Neill,
I agree that sounds strange unless they have (somehow) got me on some sort of register of reliable and approved senders as I have been reporting, albeit very sporadically, for many years.
Simon

Neill.Hogarth - 18 Mar 2021
New information received from Marine Traffic.
There system requires me to regularly report my position every 15 minutes or so for maybe a few days. The reports need to show the vessel moving and be "realistic".
My problem is that when I am sailing I am out of email contact.
So it looks like I need to generate a "virtual voyage" and set up my email program to send "virtual positions" every 15 minutes.

Life should not be this difficult. And it also raises the question why you Simon can fire off one position a continent away and be believed.
Thank you
Neill

Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
Finally! The problem is solved.
If you report an impossible latitude, the system ignores you.
As you can see in my sample report I mixed latitude and longitude and so was sending an impossible latitude.
I just managed to report our position here on the reef off Tahiti.
At last we can appear in the OCC fleet map.

Simon. Sorry to have wasted so much of your time. The problem is always this side of the screen.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
That’s fantastic and I’m really pleased there is a logical and simple explanation - welcome to the OCC Fleet Map!
Simon

Neill.Hogarth - 21 Mar 2021
Finally! The problem is solved.
If you report an impossible latitude, the system ignores you.
As you can see in my sample report I mixed latitude and longitude and so was sending an impossible latitude.
I just managed to report our position here on the reef off Tahiti.
At last we can appear in the OCC fleet map.

Simon. Sorry to have wasted so much of your time. The problem is always this side of the screen.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search