Watermakers

Author
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
One of the things we want to add in the coming year is a watermaker. We researched them a few years back and were leaning toward a Spectra (http://www.spectrawatermakers.com/), but we saw lots of new models at the Southampton Boat Show. Now we are confused again. We would appreciate any advice, pro or con, about watermakers with which you have personal experience. Others to consider - any to stay away from.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Replies
Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just to add a "different point of view" to those who suggest 230V against 12V.

We have a Spectra PowerSurvivor that runs on 12V.
It have been in daily use since 19 months and always runs from solar / wind. We hardly ever switch the motor on  and wouldn't want to do so just to make water.
We produce an average of 10 liters a day which is enough for the two of us.

A watermaker without a generator is possible.

https://buruwang.org/2020/11/19/one-year-of-water-making-katadyn-powersurvivor/

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Neill.Hogarth - 5 Sep 2021

It have been in daily use since 19 months and always runs from solar / wind. We hardly ever switch the motor on  and wouldn't want to do so just to make water.

Hi Neill, Agree on the 12v and also a fan of Katadyne. But you called the Power Survivor as made by  Spectra. Did Katadyne and Spectra merge or join or something? Thanks, Dick
Neill.Hogarth
Neill.Hogarth
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Dick - 5 Sep 2021

Hi Neill, Agree on the 12v and also a fan of Katadyne. But you called the Power Survivor as made by  Spectra. Did Katadyne and Spectra merge or join or something? Thanks, Dick

Hello Dick,
The Katadyn Group bought Spectra. Therefore the Spectra PowerSurvivor is now a Katadyn product.
But (in my opinion) until now, neither the Katadyn distribution, nor the service have accepted the PowerSurvivor.

When we first received our device it would not work. Katadyn service in Switzerland  was of no help. It was the Spectra Support in the USA who offered fantastic detailed help. It finally turned out to be a production fault. Finding and solving the problem had cost us $500 which Katadyn only agreed to pay after our supplier - Ocean Chandlery - had some stern words with them.

The device stopped working properly at the end of 2020. Once again the Swiss service offered nothing beyond "go to a dealer". Great idea. I had told them I was in Raivavae! Spectra service once again helped us to diagnose and solve the problem. We needed a new membrane which Katadyne UK appeared unable to source. It took a call to the Swiss headquarters to get one to us.

I like the product. I love the Spectra USA support. Katadyn support in Switzerland appear to have no idea what the device is, how to service it and don't seem to care.
Neill
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)Forum Expert (905 reputation)
Neill.Hogarth - 6 Sep 2021
Dick - 5 Sep 2021

Hello Dick,
The Katadyn Group bought Spectra. Therefore the Spectra PowerSurvivor is now a Katadyn product.
But (in my opinion) until now, neither the Katadyn distribution, nor the service have accepted the PowerSurvivor.

When we first received our device it would not work. Katadyn service in Switzerland  was of no help. It was the Spectra Support in the USA who offered fantastic detailed help. It finally turned out to be a production fault. Finding and solving the problem had cost us $500 which Katadyn only agreed to pay after our supplier - Ocean Chandlery - had some stern words with them.

The device stopped working properly at the end of 2020. Once again the Swiss service offered nothing beyond "go to a dealer". Great idea. I had told them I was in Raivavae! Spectra service once again helped us to diagnose and solve the problem. We needed a new membrane which Katadyne UK appeared unable to source. It took a call to the Swiss headquarters to get one to us.

I like the product. I love the Spectra USA support. Katadyn support in Switzerland appear to have no idea what the device is, how to service it and don't seem to care.
Neill
Hi Neill,
Interesting. Good to know. Field reports are always the best information. Dick

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
DariaBlackwell - 7 Jun 2012
archive - 10 Jun 2012