OCC Fleet Tracker

Author
tomfb630
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
tomfb630 - 21 Jul 2021
Hi Rachel

I have 'Bonny' registered on Marine Traffic with her MMSI but she does not appear in the OCC fleet map. I assume there is something else i need to do on the OCC site but not sure what. Can you advise? Currently in Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Azores. Thanks. Tom.

Ah, just realised, not transmitting
rachelle.turk
rachelle.turk
I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)I'm into this (362 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Tom, looking at the boat record for Bonny she was not opted into the Fleet Map.  I've changed this and added her in.

Regards,
Rachelle

tomfb630
tomfb630
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
rachelle.turk - 21 Jul 2021
Hi Tom, looking at the boat record for Bonny she was not opted into the Fleet Map.  I've changed this and added her in.

Regards,
Rachelle

Many thanks Rachel.

Tom
Geir Christiansen
Geir Christiansen
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Hello Rachel, can you please check wether our boat Ocean Viking is listed in the OCC fleet tracker. We are OK on Marinetraffic, MMSI is 257565350

Kind regards
Grete & Geir
S/Y Ocean Viking
in Camaret-Sur-Mer

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)
Geir,

We are in the process of moving away from MarineTraffic as our boat position provider and instead we are importing the data directly into our database so that the fleet data can be merged with member’s details, photos added and all displayed on a new members only page in parallel with the public facing page that does not link position to members information. The prime reason for change is because web browser security was making the old iFrame based system unreliable on some devices.

My guess is that we added your boat to the old MarineTraffic occ fleet but the box in your personal page in the the members details section of our website is not ticked so your boat has dropped out of the fleet. Rachelle will check this tomorrow..

We are testing the new system prior to release and here are the instructions for testers.

Simon

Test Instructions

Please help us test the new website Fleet Map pages (public and members only) with the following instructions:

1) The public web page can be accessed here: https://oceancruisingclub.org/Fleet-Map
Please click on this link and make sure your device takes you to the page and test the search tool.

2) Update your vessel details page including adding photos as appropriate for your vessel, crew, and current location. It is OK if you leave some of these blank, a default photo will be used. You may wish to use the "Preview" button to make sure your photos are cropped properly. The link to make these updates is here: https://oceancruisingclub.org/members/craftdetailsposition

3) Update your "Future plans aboard" here: https://members.oceancruisingclub.org/members/Myotherdetails

4) Access and test the members area Fleet Map. Click on this link and test the search tool: https://oceancruisingclub.org/members/fleetmapmembers

Please report back (Reply All) with a quick description of your experience.

Geir Christiansen - 15 Aug 2021
Hello Rachel, can you please check wether our boat Ocean Viking is listed in the OCC fleet tracker. We are OK on Marinetraffic, MMSI is 257565350

Kind regards
Grete & Geir
S/Y Ocean Viking
in Camaret-Sur-Mer

Geir Christiansen
Geir Christiansen
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Simon Currin - 15 Aug 2021
Geir,

We are in the process of moving away from MarineTraffic as our boat position provider and instead we are importing the data directly into our database so that the fleet data can be merged with member’s details, photos added and all displayed on a new members only page in parallel with the public facing page that does not link position to members information. The prime reason for change is because web browser security was making the old iFrame based system unreliable on some devices.

My guess is that we added your boat to the old MarineTraffic occ fleet but the box in your personal page in the the members details section of our website is not ticked so your boat has dropped out of the fleet. Rachelle will check this tomorrow..

We are testing the new system prior to release and here are the instructions for testers.

Simon

Test Instructions

Please help us test the new website Fleet Map pages (public and members only) with the following instructions:

1) The public web page can be accessed here: https://oceancruisingclub.org/Fleet-Map
Please click on this link and make sure your device takes you to the page and test the search tool.

2) Update your vessel details page including adding photos as appropriate for your vessel, crew, and current location. It is OK if you leave some of these blank, a default photo will be used. You may wish to use the "Preview" button to make sure your photos are cropped properly. The link to make these updates is here: https://oceancruisingclub.org/members/craftdetailsposition

3) Update your "Future plans aboard" here: https://members.oceancruisingclub.org/members/Myotherdetails

4) Access and test the members area Fleet Map. Click on this link and test the search tool: https://oceancruisingclub.org/members/fleetmapmembers

Please report back (Reply All) with a quick description of your experience.

Geir Christiansen - 15 Aug 2021

Kind regards
Grete & Geir
S/Y Ocean Viking
in Camaret-Sur-Mer

Thanks Simon. Updated according to your description and boat is on the map :)  Thank you very much

Geir

Peter.Basilides
Peter.Basilides
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
The new system works well! My only peeve are other club boats that aren’t where indicated. Time stamp is in the (at times quite distant) past. Are these manually entered positions that don’t get deleted? Perhaps an auto-delete after a week or so can be implemented?
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)Forum Expert (613 reputation)
Peter
If you log onto the members only version of the Fleetmap https://oceancruisingclub.org/members/fleetmapmembers it displays those that are actively cruising by colour coding which, I think, achieves what you are asking for. Please also note that each position can be up to 12 hours out of date as we have configured the map to give the most cost effective solution.
Simon

Peter.Basilides - 4 Oct 2021
The new system works well! My only peeve are other club boats that aren’t where indicated. Time stamp is in the (at times quite distant) past. Are these manually entered positions that don’t get deleted? Perhaps an auto-delete after a week or so can be implemented?

Peter.Basilides
Peter.Basilides
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Hello Rachelle!
Good job so far, works nicely now.
I guess it's not feasible to put an automatic expiry on (it's possibly only manually added pos?) Positions? Often last summer I was happy to see a fellow OCC boat in the vicinity - only to later find out the position is weeks or months old....and was all by my sad self again! E.g. "MOONSHADOW" trundles at 0,7kts just north of Majorca for 3 months  now....
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Peter
There are some nifty new features coming soon.. The Fleetmap is being tweaked to accept updates from most of the common offshore tracking devices. There will also be a facility to form regional fleets for ocean crossings. That should give us state of the art offshore tracking (freely available to all members) as well as the the well established coastal AIS maps we have been using for nearly a decade.
Simon.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search