PBO magazine DIY fuel polisher for about £500

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Team OCC,

Further to BetaMarine approval, I fill my boat engine up with supermarket white diesel, as opposed to significantly more expensive marina red diesel.

In preparation for my qualifying travels, I ask for your opinions with regards to the following fuel polisher system shared by Practical Boat Owner magazine;

This system is way more affordable than others I have seen and it can be stored separately.

Would you use this in your boat, bearing in mind your experience of purchasing fuel along your own travels?

Grateful for your feedback.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 5 Nov 2022
Hello Team OCC,

Further to BetaMarine approval, I fill my boat engine up with supermarket white diesel, as opposed to significantly more expensive marina red diesel.

In preparation for my qualifying travels, I ask for your opinions with regards to the following fuel polisher system shared by Practical Boat Owner magazine;

This system is way more affordable than others I have seen and it can be stored separately.

Would you use this in your boat, bearing in mind your experience of purchasing fuel along your own travels?

Grateful for your feedback.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
First question: can you access the fuel below the bottom of the fuel pick-up for the engine(usually a few inches above the fuel tank floor)? That is often  the most challenging part of "polishing" fuel by the skipper.
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We built our own polisher very similar to this but there is a thread elsewhere on this forum that dispels many of the myths around fuel storage and what polishing can achieve. It was written by an expert on fuel storage and is well worth reading if you haven’t already.
Simon
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Thanks Dick,

Yes, access is an issue, as even with my small arm I struggle to twist the existing pre-fuel filter (water separator). Although, touch wood, I have had no water or diesel bug so far!

I believe the portable pre-fuel filter solution, with an extended connection to the pre-fuel filter should solve this issue.

Grateful for your kind consideration.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Simon,

Its great to know it’s already been tried and tested by you. I will also search for this forum thread 🥂

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Sonia Johal - 7 Nov 2022
Thanks Simon,Its great to know it’s already been tried and tested by you. I will also search for this forum thread 🥂Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia and all,
Some thoughts on polishing/cleaning fuel:
The goal is good fuel to the engine and to protect the tank (most metal tanks do not like water).
I am not sure I would bother if my journey was around the world in a time limited way. If you intend to keep the boat and cruise marginal areas after the trip, maybe.
I would also not bother unless you know you can pick up from the very bottom of the tank and below the fuel pick-up. That is where water resides as well as the yucky stuff that falls off the sides.
To ensure clean fuel to the engine, have a good filter/water separator system (with a vacuum gauge), preferably a dual system such as Racor makes and plenty of filters.
Then, use one of the funnels with mesh strainer that catch water and yucky stuff as you put fuel into your tank. They are quite effective and quickly show when your fuel source is compromised. This way, you know the fuel in the tank is basically ok.
With the above, you should always have good fuel to the engine.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Ps. Check/replace the o-ring on your through-deck fuel fill cap. This is often a source of water in the tank. If in an exposed location, a couple of strips of duct tape over the fill is not un-wise and easy in prep for an offshore passage.

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Dick,

I’m planning this engine maintenance contingency for a five year circumnavigation and cannot guarantee the quality of my fuel. In particular, I anticipate lots of fuel can usage and low fuel levels, risking potential impurities, bugs and/or condensation.

So to clarify, I ask for feedback with regards to best means of saving budget, including this PBO magazine engine maintenance contingency.

My Betamarine engine already has a dual system pre-fuel filter (water-separator) as standard, annually I use RNLI recommended fuel bug solution and I always filter whenever pouring fuel into containers and especially into the tank.

However, I would feel safer with a more preventative fuel bug / impurities system / additional water separation system, as extra maintenance contingency.

Please would members share their opinions with regards to this PBO design, with any additional tweaks and ideas.

Grateful for your kind consideration and generous advice.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sonia

Here is the thread I was referring to and specifically the contribution by Andy Todd. https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic5543-2.aspx
Simon

Sonia Johal - 7 Nov 2022
Thanks Dick,

I’m planning this engine maintenance contingency for a five year circumnavigation and cannot guarantee the quality of my fuel. In particular, I anticipate lots of fuel can usage and low fuel levels, risking potential impurities, bugs and/or condensation.

So to clarify, I ask for feedback with regards to best means of saving budget, including this PBO magazine engine maintenance contingency.

My Betamarine engine already has a dual system pre-fuel filter (water-separator) as standard, annually I use RNLI recommended fuel bug solution and I always filter whenever pouring fuel into containers and especially into the tank.

However, I would feel safer with a more preventative fuel bug / impurities system / additional water separation system, as extra maintenance contingency.

Please would members share their opinions with regards to this PBO design, with any additional tweaks and ideas.

Grateful for your kind consideration and generous advice.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Dick
Dick
Sonia Johal - 7 Nov 2022
Thanks Dick,I’m planning this engine maintenance contingency for a five year circumnavigation and cannot guarantee the quality of my fuel. In particular, I anticipate lots of fuel can usage and low fuel levels, risking potential impurities, bugs and/or condensation.So to clarify, I ask for feedback with regards to best means of saving budget, including this PBO magazine engine maintenance contingency. My Betamarine engine already has a dual system pre-fuel filter (water-separator) as standard, annually I use RNLI recommended fuel bug solution and I always filter whenever pouring fuel into containers and especially into the tank. However, I would feel safer with a more preventative fuel bug / impurities system / additional water separation system, as extra maintenance contingency.Please would members share their opinions with regards to this PBO design, with any additional tweaks and ideas.Grateful for your kind consideration and generous advice.Fair winds,SoniaSY Salacia

Hi Sonia,
Alchemy’s “polishing” board
Consists of a board and mounted on the board is a simple pre-filter (Tempo) and a Racor filter/water separator (same as on board for redundancy and for carrying the same spare filters), a 12v fuel pump, a ~~10 foot intake hose and a ~~15 foot discharge hose and a 20 foot power cord with a 12v cigarette lighter type connection on the end. If memory serves, the pump should “pull” fuel through the filter and not “push fuel into the filter.
One advantage of this system is that, if you have multiple tanks, it can be a transfer pump between tanks.
Another is, if jugging fuel, the pump can transfer from jug and into the deck fuel fitting, thereby guaranteeing clean fuel into the tank.
This has served us well for ~~70k nm and to ~~70 countries and many a jug replenishment.
My best, Dick Stevenson

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search