CRUISING IN GALICIA

Author
peterhaden
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My experience over many years is that the Customs Officers are always most polite and helpful. They fill in a form in duplicate. A copy is given to the yacht which is valid for one year and can be shown on a subsequent visit.
They have a difficult and dangerous job to do including large drug hauls on foreign yachts several times every year, and any attention from them should be welcomed.
I agree that three visits in one week is too much and may have been a mistake, but nevertheless they are all powerful and every respect should be shown.
It is worth going out of your way to meet them if they are berthed in a marina and having a chat. They may even show you around their amazing patrol boats.
lassen
lassen
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Many thanks for the thoughtful reply. The purpose of these sorts of posts is to share one 's experience with fellow OCC members - it 's not intended to be a comprehensive guide to the area, which is best achieved by the RCC Pilotage Foundation.

That said, we really enjoyed our time in Galicia - we were there for three months - and would thoroughly recommend it as a cruising ground to anyone who has the time to take it slowly.
lassen
lassen
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Many thanks for this - our experience of Spanish customs officers clearly differs from yours. The team in Muros was badly organised (no paperwork/forms issued and no records kept), badly turned out (scruffy trainers, scruffy jeans etc - I 've seen better dressed plumbers) and verbally aggressive (you are part way through breakfast and suddenly find four scruffy customs officers in your cockpit - what ever happened to "we 'd like to come aboard"?).

Luckily the very helpful harbour master intervened on our behalf and the visits ceased, for which I was very grateful. In summary, so far as Customs in Muros are concerned, I stand by the remarks made in the original post.
lassen
lassen
Just to report that Oestara 's permit to visit the Atlantic Islands has been renewed for a further three years (to December 31st 2018).

I don 't see that we will be able to use it (sadly) but a three year extension is a positive change and something that would be helpful to anyone planning a return visit to this spectacular coast.
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Alex and I spent two months cruising in Galicia this past summer and returned for another week in October. Aleria is now overwintering in Punta Lagoa. I have written about our experience extensively in my blog with an overview here and links to individual pages for each of the Rias. The November 2017 issue of Yachting World also has an article I wrote about our experience. Feel free to contact me with questions.

https://aleriasadventures.blogspot.ie/p/cruising-guide-to-rias-baixas-of.html

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Update for 2018. We spent the summer cruising from Galicia to the Algarve in Portugal in 2018 and back up again. We have written many updated blog posts. See link on my previous post. Aleria is overwintering in the Astilleros Lagos yard in Bouzas near Vigo under the expert care of the Lagos family this year.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Ronan.Traynor
Ronan.Traynor
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Astillero Lagos . Wintering / Laying up / Repairs / Maintenance in Galicia.
In Sept 2019 I was lucky enough to be recommended to Alberto Lagos, OCC Port Officer and a principal in renowned third generation boatyard Astilleros Lagos in Bouzas, Vigo. Alberto and his brother Alfredo Jr brought my boat from Baiona to their yard when I was not able to get back to Galicia. They then hauled her out and stored her for two years, throughout the pandemic and looked after her as if she was their own. Over the two years their yard Coppercoated her, fitted new hatches, treated the teak, varnished tables, serviced the engine and outboard, repaired the sails, reupholstered seats, designed and installed a new seat for the aft cabin, sent the liferaft for servicing, got the dinghy patched, rebedded cleats, fixed the electrics, polished her hull and topsides, etc, etc. Nothing was an issue, all works were documented and photographed. The workmanship was second to none, the pricing was fair, the peace of mind in having your boat looked after by caring professionals when there was no travel was priceless. Only got to meet Alberto and Alfredo Jr in person in Sept 2021, super characters both, deeply grateful for the way they looked after my boat. A lot of the time in marina bars you hear horror stories about bad yards. If you are planning on leaving your boat over the winter or for a spell around Galicia, Alberto Lagos of  Astilleros Lagos is worth seeking out. 

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Roman
That’s a great report about Alberto’s yard -many thanks.
Simon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search