CRUISING IN GALICIA

Author
lassen
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It 's worth buying the recently published Seventh Edition of the RCC Pilotage Foundation "Atlantic Spain and Portugal" if you are cruising in this part of the world. Clearly illustrated and bang up-to-date.
In addition to OCC negotiated discounts it is possible to buy a "Pasaporte" which gives berthing discounts of 15% in several marinas in the area. Cost: €5. Amazing value.

Richard Lassen, aboard Oestara www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 3624
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Richard, where can one buy the Pasaporte?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
lassen
lassen
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Daria,

The short answer to your question is "at any one of the participating marinas". These include, from memory: La Coruna, Muros, Caraminal, Vilagarcia and a few others in the area. I am currently ashore (in Vilagarcia) and the Pasaporte is on board. I 'll post the full list plus any other info when I next have a decent wifi connection afloat or ashore. It remains the case in Galicia that the marinas owned by the municipalities are massively cheaper than those privately owned - typically €20 per night (undiscounted) by comparison with €35 per night.

Hope this helps,

Richard, aboard Oestara in Galicia, www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 3624
lassen
lassen
Daria,

The marinas covered by the Pasaporte (which is valid for two years from the date of issue) are:

Marina Viveiro and Marina Sada (both to the east of La Coruna)

Marina Coruna
Marina Muxia
Marina Muros
Marina A Pobra do Caraminal
Marina Vilagarcia
Nauta Sanxenxo
Davilla Sport (Vigo)

Full details on www.marinasdegalicia.com

Hope this helps,

Richard, aboard Oestara www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 3624
lassen
lassen
Oestara is now in Vigo, close to the end of our initial southbound trawl through the rias (there is much else to explore in the coming weeks, notably the anchorages that were untenable on the way down because of the conditions).

There are only two places that we wouldn 't go back to - Ribeira in the Ria de Arousa (expensive and shambolic)and Sanxenxo in the Ria de Pontevedra (more of a powerboat/holiday venue than a welcoming destination for visiting yachts). That said, it had the most organised fuel berth/pontoon in the area. Everywhere else has been a pleasure.

We are now in the Marina Davila Sport where a ten day stay is costing us €230 which is remarkable value given the quality of the facilities here. It 's also a safe place to leave the yacht and well organised for getting any work done (inc an excellent Volvo agent). Its only disadvantage is that it 's quite some distance from the city centre (roughly an €8-10 taxi ride). It 's also worth noting that the onsite lavanderia is no more. The easiest way to get any large scale washing done is to leave a bag with marina reception who will arrange for it to be washed and returned, typically within 24 hours. Gas cylinders can be exchanged at the local "ferreteria", a €5 round trip in a taxi from the marina - €20 per cylinder.

Richard Lassen www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN:3624
lassen
lassen
Now in Moaña on the north shore of the Ria de Vigo
042°16.542 'N, 008°44.862 'W

This is a small, recently completed marina on the north side of the ria with, should you need it, an hourly ferry service to/from Vigo. Great atmosphere ashore with a mass of restaurants and bars. Plenty of spare space in the marina for visitors (bearing in mind it 's mid-July) with all that one might need ashore, including that mecca for the cruising yachtsman and woman - Carrefour which is within walking/cycling distance. The local fiesta starts on Wednesday and lasts until Sunday. It 's also worth mentioning that the marina has a laundry facility and you get a strong wifi signal on board.

Richard, aboard Oestara in the Ria de Vigo, www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 3624
lassen
lassen
Our experience has been that it 's worth keeping a close eye on the Atlantic Islands website and booking three days at a time and then cancelling those days that you don 't need (easily done online). Otherwise you run the risk of not getting permission for your chosen date(s)at short notice. There don 't appear to be any restrictions on the total number of visits (we have been six times so far without any difficulty). It is a question of keeping a close eye on the website and the weather (anchoring being largely untenable in winds from NE through to SE). The process is pretty painful but the islands are a pleasure to visit and worth the effort of wading through the bureaucracy. We have not seen any signs of checking the permits of anchored yachts. That 's not to say that checks don 't take place, simply that they don 't appear to be a priority.

Anchoring is mainly over sand, rock and weed (which is extensive) and it 's worthwhile digging in really hard as the wind tends to back/veer extensively in these anchorages. What was sheltered one evening could well be uncomfortable/untenable the following morning.

Richard, aboard Oestara in the Ria de Vigo www.followingwind.co.uk Callsign: oestara PIN: 3624
lassen
lassen
Based on our current experience of filling up with diesel in Galicia, there are a number of places that we have found which have proved to be more convenient than most - convenience being defined as a floating pontoon as opposed to a wall. From north to south:

La Coruna
Portosin (if the yacht draws two metres or more you won 't be able to fill up either side of low water - best done on a rising tide and best to check with a marineiro before coming alongside)
San Vicente
Sanxenxo (but not before 10:00 on Sundays)
Combarro
Baiona

Throughput appeared to be good in each of the above. Given the relatively short distances in this part of the world, the above should be more than enough.
lassen
lassen
Members might wish to note that Muros houses a local HQ for Spanish customs.
They came to check the yacht on Monday, then on Wednesday and again on Friday. They don 't appear to keep any records of the yachts that they have checked. This morning 's visit prompted a good old-fashioned sense of humour failure on my part (entirely justified in the circumstances). After a bit of a stand-off they got the point and left. Since which time the marina master has complained about their conduct and although they have been back to the marina on Saturday morning, they have decided to leave Oestara alone. Result. One accepts their right to ask for documents - but once is surely enough. Galicia is the poorest region of Spain (by some considerable margin) and getting up the noses of visiting skippers/yacht owners is hardly going to help matters.
peterhaden
peterhaden
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
I am surprised that you have not mentioned our Port Officer for the area Alfredo Lagos. He and his sons Alfredo Jr and Alberto are always available to give help and advice to OCC members and to negotiate longer term rates for berthing.
The next edition of Flying Fish will have an article all about them and their famous 100 year old boatyard. Contact with the Lagos family will always enrich enormously the experience of a visit to cruise in Galicia.
Also, you only vaguely mention OCC discounte to OCC members, when in fact what many describe as the best marinas in Galicia give 25% discount to OCC members......and particularly I am thinking of Real Club Náutico La Coruña, Real Club Náutico Portosin, Marina Combarro, and Monte Real Club de Yates Bayona.
The berthing prices at club marinas are generally the same as municipal marinas.
There are some small marinas (with clubs) that are cheaper than the big marinas eg Cangas and Cabo de Cruz. Possibly the cheapest marina is a private club owned marina at San Adrian.
You comments about Sanxenxo are correct, but the main reason most people avoid it is because of the deafening night club broadcasting over the berths. The same can be said of Vilagarcia de Arousa especially throughout August and sometimes all night and next day at high decibels.
I presume you really enjoyed your visit to Galicia. It really is a very special place. I keep my boat with our port officer at Bouzas in the winter and Cangas in the summer and over the past few years from May to October have been very happy to enjoy it so much and meet so many OCC members and enjoy many OCC events.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search