Swivel

Author
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is it sensible or stupid to put a swivel between anchor and rode to allow the boat to rotate around the anchor during tide changes, or stupid because its an added complication and weak link?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)Forum Expert (611 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I can 't imagine not using a swivel but obviously Daria is the expert so we will await her wise words. Simon
rptrsn
rptrsn
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
We 've been using a swivel for over 10 years of full time cruising and feel that it does make sense to use them between the anchor and chain.

We did however, learn a valuable lesson when we lost our 20Kg Bruce anchor in Porto Paulo, Sicily. The swivel failed where the pin went through the shank on the anchor. Failure was due to stress on the swivel from the sides as the boat swung and pulled to the side. Also the stress of the anchor coming over the bow roller.

We replaced the anchor and swivel (ouch) and added a shackle between the anchor to relieve the side pull stress. This made all the difference; no more worries.

Here is a picture of our Kong swivel with shackle to 10mm chain.
[attachment=15]P7130006.jpg[/attachment]

Cheers,
Pete
Attachments
P7130006.jpg (286 views, 22.00 KB)
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
I 'm interested to hear what Daria has to say about the swivel, but in the meantime I reviewed Earl Hintz 's book "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" in which his brief description of swivels starts with: "The arguments for and against the use of a swivel between anchor and rode rival those of anchor choice." and end with: "A swivel truly is the weak link in the ground tackle system and could well be a greater danger than rode twist. Treat the ground tackle system carefully and it will behave itself."

I 've taken the conclusion to heart and don 't use a swivel - but then I 'm not anchored in the same spot for weeks at a time - I tend to move from place to place...

Looking forward to seeing results of the new OCC anchor survey...

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

chrisdevans (Past OCC Member)
chrisdevans
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
We have a 32kg Delta and a high grade galvanised 4-part commercial shackle connected to around 6" of chain, THEN the Kong swivel, then the main chain. This ensures absolutely no potential problem with sideways pull (even though swivel is rated to 2T WL sideways). The issue to me is one of matching the MWL and breaking strain with all the components. No point is a 2T max working load on chain if swivel is 1T - you really do have a weak link. This assumes reputable manufacturers of components telling the truth on MWL and breaking load!!

Before this set-up we did have a mismatch with a lower grade swivel connected directly to the anchor, and over a season with many anchorages, the swivel did warp due sideways load. Luckily did not break, but easily could have in a blow.

Lesson to me is buy best possible quality components and make sure they are matched in specification, or at least the joining parts (shackles/swivels) are rates higher than the chain.
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
Chris makes an important point here - inserting the swivel in the chain rather than having one end attached to the anchor stock or even to a shackle on the stock. For the integrity of the swivel it is vitally important that it must have full articulation. We have not used a swivel aboard Al Shaheen since ours parted in Chatham Bay, Union Island one dark night and we nearly went on the rocks. During a short period of intense katabatic downdrafts the boat had sailed to the end of her scope (30 metres of 10 mm chain), several times and come up hard when the chain became taught. The gusts dropped as quickly as the came and all was quiet so we didn 't know that the swivel had parted company with the chain. When the pull of the chain on the anchor (20 kg CQR)came at an angle to the anchor stock it severly strained the fork of the swivel, resulting in the forks opening and pulling the pin out.....No connection! I 'll post a photo of the failed swivel when I can find it.
rptrsn
rptrsn
Chris,

Good idea on the 6" chain between the shackle on the anchor and the swivel. I think I 'll dig up a short length and give it a try! It might also make it easier for the anchor to come up over the bow roller.

Cheers,
Pete
s/y "Brilliant"
chrisdevans (Past OCC Member)
chrisdevans
Group: Past Members
Johns horrible experience with a conjoined double shackle type swivel (I am assuming from description of failure) is very much the same as where we were heading with our problem twisted swivel.

Our new one is the Kong swivel which is very clever in that there is basically a two part manufactured piece - hard to describe - so both chain and anchor connections cannot twist out like shackles can. Recommend check out Kong website/catalogue.

The Kong is more expensive than most, but seems to me to be money well spent.

The extra chain between swivel and anchor is obviously only possible if windlass is sufficiently far from roller. It also does avoid extra pressure on swivel over roller when not directly connected to anchor.

Chris
SV Tulu of Fowey
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
[attachment=16]Anchorconnector.jpg[/attachment]
Here 's the photo of the failed swivel. The opened yoke had been attched to a "D" shackle on the end of the CQR stock. The pin of the shackle was through the hole in the anchor stock and the pin of the swivel yoke was through the "D" of the shackle. I think that on one of our violent perambulations the chain must have come up tight leading almost parallel to the anchor stock causing a twist across the jaws of the yoke, which just spread them open (13 tonnes of boat travelling at 2-3 knots) and popped the pin out. This is how the swivel was when we hauled up the chain, with the other (smaller) end still attached to the chain.
Attachments
Anchorconnector.jpg (288 views, 32.00 KB)
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
[quote="simoncurrin" post=252]I can 't imagine not using a swivel but obviously Daria is the expert so we will await her wise words. Simon[/quote]

Simon, looks like you 're in the minority regarding that use of the swivel... maybe a re-think is in order having looked at John 's picture!

As it happens we 're doing an inventory on Toodle-oo!, including all the stuff that came with the boat. In amongst the junk I found myself an anchor swivel of a type I 've not seen currently available. Good job too - it 's a ball and socket arrangement which I have to believe must be a real weak link! Hopefully it 's a discontinued item. Anyone want to buy it? :unsure:

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search