Medical Seminar for OCC Members

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Daria,
Anti-virals are not much used in the UK with the exception of acyclovir for Herpes Zoster and recurrent Herpes Simplex. Flu is only treated when epidemic levels of virus are circulating in the community and evidence for its effectiveness is limited. I am aware that other health systems place more emphasis on these drugs.
Simon
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trying again to get my Alchemy 's meds list to attach. Dick
[attachment=323]AlchemyMedicationList.pdf[/attachment]
Alchemy medication list
Attachments
AlchemyMedicationList.pdf (343 views, 213.00 KB)
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
I think this would be a good service if we could support it AND find a way for our members to buy the necessary drugs. I have found that latter quite a challenge.

There are many commercial courses available for sailors. In my experience, they tend to seek to cover all eventualities - including remote contingencies. We did do a course before we began our circumnavigation which the instructor tailored to our needs (because all of the participants were owners about to go ocean sailing). So in addition to basic first aid, the instructor concentrated on the things that were most likely to happen - cuts, bruises, breakages; how to treat them, suturing, and immobilisation of fractures for extended periods etc. together with the administration of various drugs and anesthetics. We also dealt with procdures that older people might require including catheterisation etc., what to do if a crewman had a heart attack etc.

I dont know any friendly doctors. My crew 's GPs were all prepared to provide scripts for ongoing treatments (e.g. hypertension) for extended periods but were not prepared to prescribe drugs "just in case" - not even on a private prescription.

There are a number of organisations that will supply such drugs; initially mine came from a pharmacist in Jersey. He had retired by the time I needed replacements and so I contacted Medical Support Offshore (https://www.msos.org.uk/home.html) who replaced them for me - at a price. Once they have supplied the drugs they will support you at sea - (call a their doctor 24/7 via sat phone) - he knows exactly what kit you have and can advise you what to do. Theirs is a comprehensive service which you can pick and choose from but it is aimed at SuperYachts so they are not shy about billings!

OthersI am aware that Vortec Marine (https://www.vortecmarine.com/medicalkits) will arrange the supply of non-controlled drugs. As to ongoing advice, they refreshingly point out that FREE emergency medical advice is available 365 days a year 24/7 by contacting a UK Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) (HF radio or Sat Phone) and being linked to the duty doctor with whom you can agree a care plan for a casualty on board.
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
David,
The suggestion (buried way back in this topic) is designed to provide OCC members with global access to these drugs. I am happy to lead on this in the UK but we will need the international cooperation of OCC medics as I can only prescribe within the UK. Clearly, until we ask, we don 't know our international OCC medics would be prepared to take part.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Simon, have you thought of reaching out to potential OCC MDs around the world via the Facebook page as a start? Would you like to post a note on the website?

Might even consider a poll for interest on the FB page.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
dcaukill
dcaukill
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Sorry Simon - I understood you were circumnavigating. If you can handle it for the UK that would be a great service. And if we managed to replicate it elsewhere that would be a real USP for the OCC!
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
David,
Our circumnavigation is in chunks so keeping one foot in the work place.
Simon

Daria,
I would prefer not to put anything on Facebook for now as I think this needs to be discussed in Committee first. I have a draft paper to circulate in time for the February Committee Meeting.
Simon
mrsannelloyd
mrsannelloyd
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
This is a really first rate initiative. When preparing for our circumnavigation we spent some tim eon this but as if we were inventing th ewheel

We used some other peoples lists and modified according to our understanding of risk/cost

Evan Starzinger has a good list, our mentors gave us theirs and we found the contents list for Ocean Safety big kit. Plus lots of ideas bout hardware, sam splints etc

We did get our GP to prescribe about 10 items, but in small quantities and with little interest on his part, Even as private prescriptions they were surprisingly inexpensive. Of course now we cannot remember expiry information on the drugs.

So far incidents have been broken ribs [twice] and crush injuries to fingers. ie pain killers and bleeding.

I look forward to developments.

I would suggest any course be run near Christmas, as many of us long distance types return for that occasionally!

But an OCC kit list: Drugs/equipment etc would be grand, plus a course [too late for us]

The RYA first aid course- every incident finished with a defibrillator it seemed!

I have added our prescription drugs list. I do worry about the co codomol but so far no reactions by officialdom.

[Attachment will not attach}

Anne
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Anne,
Your attachment is not included in you post. This may be because the forum does not accept Word/Excel documents but prefers PDF 's. If you are struggling then please send to me and I will attach. My email is simon@medex.org.uk.
Simon
Beth Bushnell
Beth Bushnell
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Hi Simon,

Happy to help in any way. I have now retired as a GP but still cruising. I seem to have spent a lot of time over the past 20 years cruising holding impromptu surgeries in exotic surroundings. Fellow cruisers are often anxious regarding the contents of their medical kits and the difficulties in obtaining replacements.

Beth
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search