Medical Seminar for OCC Members

Author
aragorn
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Simon
I would be very interested in what you though might be useful to carry
Thanks
Caroline & Robert
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Hi everyone,
Attached is a bit outdated list of meds we had on board for our out of the way cruising and longer passages.
Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Alchemy Medication List

[attachment=324]AlchemyMedicationList.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments
AlchemyMedicationList.pdf (342 views, 213.00 KB)
Victor.Bom (Past OCC Member)
Victor.Bom
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Past Members
Hi everyone,
I would certainly welcome a medical webinar. Also we have anti-biotics and painkillers on board, supplied through our friendly GP.

As I understand several meds-lists are floating around. It would be helpful to have one 'really good ' thought through list, without the less useful items.

Also useful might be a list of 'equivalents ' as many substances exist under different names made by various companies.

Victor Bom, sy Mamira Fenna
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Caroline, Bill & Dick,

Attached is a pdf of the kit we put on board our boat when we left the UK last summer destined for very remote waters. I am sure it is not perfect and is designed for a cruising couple joined, from time to time by a up to 2 crew. Some of our destinations (NE Greenland) are very remote too so this isn 't all about mid ocean requirements. This is the spreadsheet we actually used to order from our wholesaler so the prices are UK list prices but it does give you and idea of cost.

I have, of course, to add a disclaimer in that this list contains UK "prescription only" items for use by appropriately qualified and experienced medical personnel. It does not contain any UK controlled drugs but I am aware that some countries that we may visit will have differing rules and regulations.

Hope it helps.

Simon

[attachment=317]SailingMedicalkit.pdf[/attachment]
Attachments
SailingMedicalkit.pdf (337 views, 98.00 KB)
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)Forum Expert (899 reputation)
Hi Simon and all,
Your list of meds etc is very helpful. I notice that there is not a nice box in my post of my meds which, I am suspecting, means that I did something wrong in the "adding of the file". If someone confirms this, I will try again. Dick
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Dick,
That 's correct there is no attachment. If you are struggling email it to simon@medex.org.uk and I will attach it to your original post.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
Simon, great list of meds.

Someone had asked what cruisers had used out of their kits while underway. In more than a year of cruising around the Atlantic, we used very little. I used up our supply of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid when I got strep throat in a remote anchorage. I replaced the antibiotic with plain amoxicillin in Dominica without a prescription via a sympathetic pharmacist who did not have Augmentin in stock. I also used topical antibiotics and topical steroids in the Caribbean to combat prickly rash.

When crossing oceans we found we didn 't get sick because there is little exposure to infectious diseases. Then it was mostly a matter of minor injuries and so topical antibiotics and painkillers were helpful.

When Alex broke four ribs on a delivery, having an adequate supply of ibuprofen for the pain was essential; it took four days to get to shore and a hospital.

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Daria,
I agree it is over the top for most cruising couples.

We initially put this kit together for a 6 week Antarctic cruise for 6 people on Pelagic where we were doing lots of other activities including kayaking, diving and ski mountaineering. We sailed this summer with this on board knowing that we were going into some similarly remote waters with shoreside activities planned.

Also, when other boats sniff a medic, then things can turn into a busman 's holiday sometimes and it is nice to be able to help out.

So really this kit is probably not appropriate for ordinary use but it does illustrate how cheap generic drugs are these days so cost need not limit the scope of the kit. It all fits into a 55 litre Ortleib duffle bag so size and weight aren 't really an obstacle either.
Simon
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)I'm hooked (492 reputation)
I just googled medical injuries at sea and came up with this very useful presentation. Although much relates to racing rather than cruising, it may be helpful to see the stats on the most common types of injuries on sailboats.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicine/sportsmed/cusm_events/2014-Extreme-Sports-Medicine-Congress/Documents/Presentations/Extreme%20Sailing%20Injuries.pdf

Vice Commodore, OCC 
Daria Blackwell
Daria Blackwell
Simon, I wasn 't implying it was OTT. Ours probably had almost as much in it.

One thing I don 't see on your list is antivirals. Can you please comment on your thoughts there?

Vice Commodore, OCC 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search