Shallow Draft Yacht

Author
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Has anyone got good, bad or ugly experience with shallow draft yachts?
We are looking at doing more coastal cruising and want to get into places with skinny water (our currrent boat draws 8.5 feet. Ovnis have come up as have other makes.
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Alex Blackwell - 4/26/2019
We are looking at doing more coastal cruising and want to get into places with skinny water (our currrent boat draws 8.5 feet. Ovnis have come up as have other makes.

Hi Alex,
I do not have a lot of experience in a variety of shallow draft boats, but I would think that Ovnis do check a lot of shallow water  boxes while retaining the ability to be excellent offshore boats, something I believe is not so clear with other shallow draft vessels.
I will report that a friend with many years of sailing the Bahamas and worrying about going aground (and not doing so) bought himself a shallow draft boat and promptly went aground with regularity. Go figure.
Let us know the results of your researches.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)

Will you miss the pointing ability afforded by your deep keel? Or are you slowing down in your old age Alex?? :-)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Will you miss the pointing ability afforded by your deep keel? Or are you slowing down in your old age Alex?? :-)

Hi Bill,
I think pointing ability may, indeed, be compromised with many shallow draft boats, especially those with a fixed keel. However, I believe that there may be no compromise on well-designed centerboard boats such as the Ovni and others of its ilk. Dick
Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Dick - 4/27/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Hi Bill,
I think pointing ability may, indeed, be compromised with many shallow draft boats, especially those with a fixed keel. However, I believe that there may be no compromise on well-designed centerboard boats such as the Ovni and others of its ilk. Dick

Hi from an OVNI 395 owner. We have 60,000nm, a circumnavigation, 1000nm round trip on the Amazon, the Hudson River/Erie and Oswego Canals and the Bahamas.  Brilliant boat. We would not leave home without one. Pointing? Gentlemen and ladies do not sail to windward, for goodness sake. However, if you must, our Ovni tacks through 110 degrees. How much more do you want? Are you in a hurry? This is the OCC and an OVNI should be the boat of choice :-)  :-)  Cheers Phil
Dick
Dick
Philip Heaton - 4/27/2019
Dick - 4/27/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Hi Bill,

Hi from an OVNI 395 owner. We have 60,000nm, a circumnavigation, 1000nm round trip on the Amazon, the Hudson River/Erie and Oswego Canals and the Bahamas.  Brilliant boat. We would not leave home without one. Pointing? Gentlemen and ladies do not sail to windward, for goodness sake. However, if you must, our Ovni tacks through 110 degrees. How much more do you want? Are you in a hurry? This is the OCC and an OVNI should be the boat of choice :-)  :-)  Cheers Phil

Hi Phil, Always good to have a first hand field report. Dick
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Dick - 4/27/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Hi Bill,

Yawn!
What Gentlemen?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)Gaining Respect (149 reputation)
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019
Dick - 4/27/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Hi Bill,

Yawn!
What 

Oh Bill, really, really.  Incidentally I omitted to say that 

Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton
Philip Heaton - 4/28/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019
Dick - 4/27/2019
Bill Balme - 4/27/2019

Hi Bill,

Yawn!
What 

Oh Bill, really, really.  Incidentally I omitted to say that 

I got waylaid and post went off before I finished. So as I was saying, incidentally I omitted to say that once the wind is abaft the beam the keel comes up. This makes exceedingly comfortable sailing as the boat will not round up into the wind. Magic.😎
Michael.Bennett
Michael.Bennett
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Hi Alex
I have just seen your post to OCC Forum. We are just putting our Southerly 38 on the market. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you some more information.
Regards,
Fiona
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search