Shallow Draft Yacht

Author
Rod Halling
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Alex Blackwell - 4/26/2019
Has anyone got good, bad or ugly experience with shallow draft yachts?
We are looking at doing more coastal cruising and want to get into places with skinny water (our currrent boat draws 8.5 feet. Ovnis have come up as have other makes.

Hi Alex, I owned an Ovni 385 from new for seven years and concur with Phil. She was a really good boat, but for us the lack of pointing ability (especially in the Med where the wind always seems to be on the nose) became a bit of an issue. The upsides are legion - sitting on the beach in the Scilly Isles, when all the deep keelers are wobbling about at anchor in the "roads", flying downwind with the plate up, easy fitment of "green energy" on the aft wing... We certainly did "go aground" a fair bit - mostly when we meant to, but sometimes just taking a chance, but never worried about landing on a rock as the bottom is SOLID aluminium - 10mm thick. If you are interested, talk to Stephen & Francine Johnson of North Sea Maritime - www.northseamaritime.co.uk - they are the importers and experts for UK and Ireland. They usually have a range of used boats and are completely trustworthy - lovely people.

We have gone the opposite way to you - if you remember, we were interested in Aleria before you put her on the market. We need something larger and went for an Oyster 55 (1995) just before you put Aleria on sale. Very happy with a boat that can tack through 90 degrees in 50 knots... Loads of room for the nippers too!   

If you don't fancy an Ovni, the Southerly boats seem to point somewhat better, but lack the incredible strength of an all aluminium design. "Distant Shores" on Youtube seem to have loved all their Southerlys. Best of luck with the search! If you're ever in Devon/Cornwall, drop me a line - it would be lovely to meet up.

All the best,

Rod
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
Rod.Halling - 7/15/2020
We are looking at doing more coastal cruising and want to get into places with skinny water (our currrent boat draws 8.5 feet. Ovnis have come up as have other makes.

Hi Alex, I owned an Ovni 385 from new for seven years and concur with Phil. She was a really good boat, but for us the lack of pointing ability (especially in the Med where the wind always seems to be on the nose) became a bit of an issue. The upsides are legion - sitting on the beach in the Scilly Isles, when all the deep keelers are wobbling about at anchor in the "roads", flying downwind with the plate up, easy fitment of "green energy" on the aft wing... We certainly did "go aground" a fair bit - mostly when we meant to, but sometimes just taking a chance, but never worried about landing on a rock as the bottom is SOLID aluminium - 10mm thick. If you are interested, talk to Stephen & Francine Johnson of North Sea Maritime - www.northseamaritime.co.uk - they are the importers and experts for UK and Ireland. They usually have a range of used boats and are completely trustworthy - lovely people.

We have gone the opposite way to you - if you remember, we were interested in Aleria before you put her on the market. We need something larger and went for an Oyster 55 (1995) just before you put Aleria on sale. Very happy with a boat that can tack through 90 degrees in 50 knots... Loads of room for the nippers too!   

If you don't fancy an Ovni, the Southerly boats seem to point somewhat better, but lack the incredible strength of an all aluminium design. "Distant Shores" on Youtube seem to have loved all their Southerlys. Best of luck with the search! If you're ever in Devon/Cornwall, drop me a line - it would be lovely to meet up.

All the best,

Rod

Thank you very much, Rod
yes I certainly remember you, but i did not know you had owned an Ovni.
as a very close friend chided me, when I lamented the Ovni not pointing well: "Gentlemen don't sail upwind". ;)
Alex Blackwell
Alex Blackwell
Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)Junior Member (74 reputation)
John.Ferguson - 6/16/2020

Maybe replying a bit late to this but I have a Koopmans 46’ Yacht, Dutch built in aluminium with hydraulic lifting keel. With the keel up you can sit her on the bottom not that I’ve needed to do that as with the keel up the draft is only 1.5 metres and with the keel down 2.5 metres, very useful in Denmark last year where many marinas were in less than 2 metres and in The Scillies the year before that where some passages are even less than that.

I saw a picture of a Koopmans - very pretty boat

Rod Halling
Rod Halling
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Alex Blackwell - 7/16/2020
Rod.Halling - 7/15/2020

All the best,

Rod

Thank you very much, Rod
yes I certainly remember you, but i did not know you had owned an Ovni.
as a very close friend chided me, when I lamented the Ovni not pointing well: "Gentlemen don't sail upwind". ;)
Hi Alex,
Maybe Gentlemen don't sail upwind... but it seems that some of the nicest destinations ARE upwind - especially after a long downwind ocean passage! Perhaps I'm just a rubbish sailor, but I could never get our Ovni to tack through less than 100 degrees even in pretty flat conditions. She flew downwind though - often surfing at 12-13 knots.
I guess that "you pays your money and takes your choice"! Best of luck with the sale of Aleria and the fun prospect of buying another boat. Rod

David.Wells
David.Wells
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Alex - sorry to be slow contributing to this topic. In my misspent youth I was privileged to work for Ted Hood in the 80's, and put many  thousands of miles on different Hood centerboard designs at 46', 53', and 87'. All his designs had light foam core boards with just enough weight so there was no question it would go down - a few hundred pounds at the tip. In general the boards had a symmetrical foil shape so they would develop some lift with headway and leeway. With apparent wind aft of 60, we tended to mostly put the board away, or play with them a little to trim the helm and steering response. Of course the 87' had three boards - main, trim, and a dagger in the rudder; made for many interesting combinations allowing much control over the boat's handling. In general on the boats if any board clunked, it's not working, put it away. Closer than 60 the board would make a big difference to leeway and the way the boat paid attention to the helm. All these designs had a soft link - a wire to lift/drop the board. Because of this we could put the board down a foot or so when exploring someplace shallow at low speed - if you hit the board, you can crank it up and back up, easy. Not so easy with a hard link design like a mechanical lever or hydraulic cylinder. The cases were all carefully designed for fit so the board would generally be silent at anchor - nothing worse than a clunking board in the case when you roll a bit at anchor. They are definitely an added maintenance item, and a source of potential leaks. In 2019 we twice ran across the 87' ketch I used to run and they had to haul the boat twice in eight months trying to get the main board case/pin/wire to stop leaking. Overall I think the shallow draft was worth the added nuisance. I love my cat that draws 1.5m with the asymmetrical daggers up, and 3m down. Better not hit anything with a daggerboard though, that won't end well. Bottom line, if you want both skinny water and upwind performance, it's a good solution. Wing keels are also a decent solution - the Contest line of boats has been using them quite a lot, worth a look. Wings do introduce other challenges around grounding and etc. Scheel keels are a distant third for me. Hope this helps, happy to give more detail if wanted. 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
David.Wells - 9/17/2020
Alex - sorry to be slow contributing to this topic. In my misspent youth I was privileged to work for Ted Hood in the 80's, and put many  thousands of miles on different Hood centerboard designs at 46', 53', and 87'. All his designs had light foam core boards with just enough weight so there was no question it would go down - a few hundred pounds at the tip. In general the boards had a symmetrical foil shape so they would develop some lift with headway and leeway. With apparent wind aft of 60, we tended to mostly put the board away, or play with them a little to trim the helm and steering response. Of course the 87' had three boards - main, trim, and a dagger in the rudder; made for many interesting combinations allowing much control over the boat's handling. In general on the boats if any board clunked, it's not working, put it away. Closer than 60 the board would make a big difference to leeway and the way the boat paid attention to the helm. All these designs had a soft link - a wire to lift/drop the board. Because of this we could put the board down a foot or so when exploring someplace shallow at low speed - if you hit the board, you can crank it up and back up, easy. Not so easy with a hard link design like a mechanical lever or hydraulic cylinder. The cases were all carefully designed for fit so the board would generally be silent at anchor - nothing worse than a clunking board in the case when you roll a bit at anchor. They are definitely an added maintenance item, and a source of potential leaks. In 2019 we twice ran across the 87' ketch I used to run and they had to haul the boat twice in eight months trying to get the main board case/pin/wire to stop leaking. Overall I think the shallow draft was worth the added nuisance. I love my cat that draws 1.5m with the asymmetrical daggers up, and 3m down. Better not hit anything with a daggerboard though, that won't end well. Bottom line, if you want both skinny water and upwind performance, it's a good solution. Wing keels are also a decent solution - the Contest line of boats has been using them quite a lot, worth a look. Wings do introduce other challenges around grounding and etc. Scheel keels are a distant third for me. Hope this helps, happy to give more detail if wanted. 

Hi David,
Much wisdom and experience in your writing. Thanks for sharing and with such detail.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search