Cutlass Bearings

Author
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all, I have to replace my cutlass bearings. (Beneteau First 405).

The one for the P bracket is a straight forward brass shelled bearing. With grub screws to retain it.

The intermediating one in the stern tube is rubber (which is a fairly standard Benateau part).
There are no locking screws to hold this in place as with a P bracket bearing. There is no way that grub screws can be fitted
I understand that these bearings are bonded in, and it has been suggested that Locktite is a good solution for this job. Obviously I can’t use epoxy as removal in the future would be impossible. Access is not easy, as it is at the start of the internal part of the bronze stern tube.
Has anyone any other suggestion besides using locktite ?

I await any useful tips.

Thanks in anticipation

Brian
S/V Darramy on the hard at Evoiko Sea Centre 🤪🤪

Steve Houssart
Steve Houssart
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Brian, I have a Bene 473, hasn't got a P bracket, but I've just done my cutlass bearings and rudder bearings at the same time and I swear by 3M 4200 SC it semi-cures and hold things in place but doesn't! mean destroying your boat to get them back out again! 

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass … it's about learning to dance in the rain!
bwallace
bwallace
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Thanks Steve for your input. I posted this in November so job completed.
However, I managed to drill and screw a nylon grub screw into the inboard of the stern tube, also used a light smear of  Sikaflex 290 deck caulking as well as it was all I had, but believe the grub screw should be sufficient as there is no real load on the bearing, and this new bearing has flange on it so it can’t disappear down the tube one way and the stern seal stops it coming inboard.
We launch at the beginning of April so fingers crossed!
Brian

Steve Houssart
Steve Houssart
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Great Stuff, yes I drilled and put in a couple of grubbies myself, I did it the time before and although it held, it really didn't make it any easier getting it out, still had to get the hacksaw to the old one.
Steve

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass … it's about learning to dance in the rain!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search